driving

Posted by: rudyflyer

driving - 04/29/05 12:03 PM

hey
I will be travelling to Spain this coming June, my plan is to rent a car in Madrid and drive to Asturias, actually to a place called Ribadesella, thats where my mom is from, so I thought its time to go see it, aparently its a real pretty place. My question is not so much about roads because of what I have seen, they look like excellent roads, but if there is anything I should know or consider when driving in Spain? not including sticking to speed limits and so on, but I have heard people in Spain can be a bit accelerator happy, I dont know though.
I will try to take some good pictures see if I can post them here.
Thank you
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: driving - 04/29/05 12:15 PM

Hello rudyflier in Dayton! (fellow Ohioan) Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!

Have you yet conducted a SEARCH of this topic here in the "Transportation" forum? You'll find dozens of them including the LONG thread " Driving stories in Espaņa "

Anyone else have some fresh comments?

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: driving - 04/29/05 12:32 PM

hey!
thanks for the link neighbour! I will go ahead and read it, I just thought of something that will probably sound dumb, but I just thought of it, I can drive with my ohio licence in Spain right? or should I get an international permit from the AAA?
Posted by: warnerchilcott

Re: driving - 04/29/05 12:39 PM

I got an international drivers permit from AAA last year before going to Spain but never used it. The car rental company, etc just accepted my US liscence. Two rules of the road I learned pretty fast when driving in Spain: never drive in the left lane ( passing lane) because it is only for passing. Before you know it a Spaniard in a fast BMW or Mercedes will be on your tail going 100mph, blowing his horn, blinking his lights and shaking his fist for you to get out of his way!!!! The second rule is: when you get to a city, park your car and use public transportation!!! City traffic is a nightmare! Hope this helps, have a fun and safe trip!

Re: driving - 04/29/05 12:45 PM

thank you all for the help, im sure it will be a great fun trip. I think I will stop byt the AA this afternoon anyway, it dont do any harm. As I said, I will try geting some nice pictures of the place for you guys as soon as I come back home
laugh
Posted by: warnerchilcott

Re: driving - 04/29/05 01:02 PM

I think I was told when I got my international driving permit, that it would be of value if I were involved in an automobile accident. Thank goodness I wasn't! Good luck