Train or Rent Car

Posted by: Amy11

Train or Rent Car - 10/02/03 06:34 PM

My Novio and I will be visiting Spain for 1 week in November. He wants to rent a car to travel from Girona where our plane arrives and then rent a car for travel to Barcelona, Sevilla y Madrid. I am concerned with the price for gasoline. Which would be a better idea to travel, or would a combination better us? confused
Posted by: willson

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/02/03 07:00 PM

Look at http://www.viamichelin.com for some info and driving times/directions.

Probably you're going to spend a tank of gas (well, diesel actually) to go from (e.g) Sevilla to Madrid. That would run you about 30 Euros (plus tolls). Not bad for having the opportunity to stop somewhere wonderful along the way for lunch (get a Michelin restaurant guide for sure [no, I don't work for Michelin]) or to see someplace nice you've heard of that is not at a train stop.

No, fuel is not cheap, (the tolls are not too bad) but, on the ther hand, having a car gives you flexibility.

On the other-other hand, if you're just trying to get from 'A' to 'B' the train is a lovely, convienient, way to travel - - watching the scenery go by and getting you to your destination almost effortlessly.
Posted by: Amy11

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/02/03 07:05 PM

Conveniency (if that is even a word?), confused price, time consuming confused ..... my cousin lived in Spain for 10 months (school abroad) and she is recommending a few night trains. However, are the daytime trains more or less time consuming? confused is it more or less the same for the money? confused this is my first time traveling outside the US, so i am trying to gather as much information as i can so i won't be too much of a scaredy cat. thank you
Posted by: DanaD1966

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/02/03 07:40 PM

While on the subject of driving.....I am from the US, and recently purchased my International Driving Permit in preparation for my upcoming trip to Spain. I thought it might be a nice way to travel during my stay, but have since heard horror stories about the driving in Spain. In other words, I have been told that it is a much higher speed than we are used to here, as well as being more aggressive and fierce in Spain.

Would those of you who know, suggest public transportation over the rental of a car, especially for those of us who are unfamiliar with driving in Spain?

Thank you,
Dana
Posted by: JA

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/02/03 09:28 PM

Early this year I rented a car in Madrid to go to Sevilla, spend about 5 days there and then drive back. First, the drive to Sevilla was about 5 hours and it gets kind of boring after a while. Driving is driving if you are paying attention to the driving. Spaniards will come so close to you that you cannot see the front of their cars, so you learn very quickly to get out of the passing lane as quickly as you can. Believe, I was not driving slow and some guys would fly by.

Second, parking at night was a hassle and it was about 12 to 15 USD per night. Plus they do steal cars like in any metropolitan area of the world.

Third, you had to be careful with the car because the rental people examined every detail on the car. Any nick not recorded on the contract becomes your problem.

The good thing: in Sevilla I could drive around and visit places that most likely I would have never seen if I had to use public transportation. The solution for me was return the car rental the last day and come back to MAD by bus. Best move I ever made because when I arrived the center of MAD was filled with major demostrations.

So, the idea maybe to rent something where you are going to spend the time and move or travel the long distances by train (the AVE is literaly a jet train).

Good luck,

JA Juan
Posted by: sel

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/03/03 02:56 PM

If you are spending your time in the big cities, a car is a liability. Parking is a problem and it is not the best way to get around. If you are staying outside of the big cities and want to explore the countryside, a car is wonderful.

I would always fly instead of using a night train. It might even be less expensive to fly!! You save time and will be more rested if you fly.

We used a combination of both. The trains are fun and very efficient. We spent a week en El Puerto de Santa María and used the train to visit Cadiz, Sevilla and Jerez. We used the car to get to El Puerto from Málaga, exploring the countryside and Ronda along the way.

Since you only have a week, I would either pick one region and use the car to explore that region OR I would use air transportation and explore the three cities you mentioned. A week goes quickly!!!
Posted by: gsobotta

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/05/03 07:31 PM

I have driven in Spain on my last two trips, and I did not find the traffic fast or fierce. I have no horror stories. I felt comfortable driving in Spain, including downtown Madrid. I used the car for day trips to areas, which were not always accessible by train or bus on my time schedule. If you are not planning to visit areas outside the major cities, then I would suggest the train
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/06/03 06:03 AM

Amy11 writes:
Quote:
... visiting Spain for 1 week in November. He wants to rent a car to travel from Girona where our plane arrives and then rent a car for travel to Barcelona, Sevilla y Madrid. I am concerned with the price for gasoline. Which would be a better idea to travel, or would a combination better us?
It's not just the price of the gasoline or the tolls on tollroads, which can be quite expensive, it's the physical and mental effort expended (i.e., I consider driving work!). For just 1-week, visiting those 3-cities and their environs I would use Train, Bus, even Air travel. There's an overnight, all preferente sleeper Talgo Barcelona-Sevilla that arrives in Sevilla at 8:30 AM. It would get you there much more refreshed than a 12-hour drive. eek

You might even consider a 3-day Spain RailPass: Barcelona-Sevilla (1-day); Sevilla-Madrid (1-day) and Madrid-Barcelona (1-day). You would have to pay supplements on AVE and for the Sleeping compartment but you would still come out cheaper and be less 'beat-up' from travelling. You have to book the sleeper a day or two in advance so your first stop in Barcelona should be Barcelona-Sants Transportation Center.

There should Bus service (or regional rail) between Girona and Barcelona. rolleyes
Posted by: filbert

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/06/03 06:58 AM

Hi!
I hired a car with a friend for a week earlier this summer.
Repeating what has already been said, driving in the cities is awful (there is no lane discipline at roundabouts). Out in the country everything is great.
Pay attention to speed limits when passing through small towns and villages. Often the civil guard patrols spend all their days in hiding hoping to catch someone speeding. Also in many places in the north automatic systems set the next traffic light to red when a speeder is detected (I actually think this is a good idea as it avoids any fines, and fast drivers end up getting message and slow down accordingly). Of course in the city little regard seems to be paid to speed limits..
Just a little additional point for British drivers - petrol and diesel is quite a bit cheaper here than the UK (no surprise here!!)

Happy Driving!
Posted by: Cornelio

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/08/03 11:22 AM

This is an age-old debate on whether to rent a car or use the train. I personally prefer having a car because of the convenience it provides and the flexibility it affords in not being a slave to train schedules. Not to mention the ability to stop off on a whim, at certain off-the-beaten path destinations. When I went on a 3-week Andalusia trip a few years back, I picked up the car at the Sevilla Santa Justa train station and eventually dropped it off at Cordoba, with no drop-off charge. I visited ever city and town that I though was worthwhile and I did not have any problems with the roads, the other drivers on the road or what not. In all the big cities in Anadalusia, I had no problems finding free street parking. However, most of the non-stop driving I had to do was no more than 2 hours.

In your case, you are covering large distances. Barcelona to Madrid, for example, is a 7 hour drive which may or may not be to your liking since it could be boring and you can fly that distance for less than an hour and for about $60 with Air Europa or Iberia. The Madrid to Sevilla leg is about a 6-hour drive and taking the high-speed AVE train cuts that in half.

Not knowing all the intimate details of you itinerary, it's really hard to say, but looking at the cities you want to visit, they seem to be all over the Spanish map and not limited to one region and so a combination of plane, train and automobile may be the way to go.
Posted by: GuiaGuiri

Re: Train or Rent Car - 10/08/03 07:31 PM

Hi there, if you only have a week, you don´t want to spend half of your week on the road dodging real speed demons. I have done plenty of cross country driving in Spain, and I am always stunned by land missiles that seem to appear on my tail as if they have just dropped out of "warp drive". Consider the night train for sure, or better yet, Iberia Airlines is economical in-country (I am told). The hike from Barcelona to Madrid is substantial and not peppered with the most spectacular scenery - unless you are stopping in Zaragosa (well worth it), you would do well to save time for exploring your target cities where you will want to linger for just one more festive beverage at some clever locale. - ¡Happy Holiday!