Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not.

Posted by: Shazz

Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/21/02 01:53 PM

We'll be arriving into Madrid on the 20th of Dec. and need to be in Barcelona for our reservations on the 21st-28th. We're wondering if we should book our tickets for an overnite train (bunk beds? or couchette?)immediately for the next night? I've spoken to the Renfe reservationists here in the USA and they tell me the trains are more than likely to sell out at that time of year! Is this true??!! rolleyes From what I've read on this board, "as long as you book a day in advance you should be ok with the overnite reservation" The USA advance reservations are rediculous! For instance the renfe lists only E-40.02 for bunk beds. The advance reserve in the US is $79 1 way for Couchette + $25 xtra in shipping and processing charges. (At $5 a gallon I think it maybe cheaper to rent the car!) But we're past that and we want to take an overnite train. Do you recommend waiting till we get there and making the reserve right away for the next night? I'm sooo confused. Help!! eek
Posted by: Espe3

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/21/02 02:41 PM

They're not lying to you, during the holidays the trains DO tend to sell out! You may be lucky and get standing room only, but after a trip like that, I wouldn't risk it!

Keep in mind that trains and buses are much more common to use in Europe than in the States. I have friends who live in Cartagena (southeastern Spain) and who use the trains often and if they're going home for the holidays, believe me, they run out and get their tickets! EVERYTHING gets booked, and overbooked!

As far as how much they're charging you... do you know anyone there that could purchase the tickets for you and meet you when you arrive in Madrid and give them to you? Have you tried doing it with a credit card right through Renfe?

And yes, normally during any other time of the year (again, except on a holiday) usually the day in advance ticket would more than likely be fine. Which again, is not your case this time.

Shazz, Just checked out.

Good news! smile
Directly from the Renfe site, you should be able to purchase your tickets, and pick them up at the Renfe station when you get there.

They have recently set up something called TIKNET (or something like that) its to order your tickets via internet. You have to set up a client number, and then with a credit card they'll hold your ticket smile You just have to remember to bring the same credit card with you so it can be swiped when you pick up your tickets.

They have a secure website, but if you're still worried about using your credit card (they do not accept virtual cards-if you don't know what that is, ignore it and keep reading) I suggest you get a card and lower the limit. I have a card I did this with to use only for the internet, the limit is so low that if anyone does anything funny with it, I'll not only notice it right away, but it won't hurt me-or the credit card co. either for that matter!

If your Spanish isn't that good, send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number, I'll get on the page at the same time as you and I'll walk you through it (you of course entering the information- I don't need that, I'll just tell you where you have to do it!). That should help you save the extra cash! smile

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/21/02 05:35 PM

wow, thanx! Espe. I have an extra credit card just for the internet actually. thanx for all the info! Awesome.
Posted by: sel

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/21/02 07:27 PM

Last summer I tried to book a train from Barcelona to Villena four days in advance and all classes, all trains were sold out that day and the next. We had to switch and go to Alicante instead, and all but one very early morning train to Alicante was sold out!! I was shocked!!!

In Madrid and most big stations, they have a 'take a number and wait' system . It can be quite busy and a long wait. They might have a quicker window though for tickets already purchased.

Does anyone know about that?

Shazz, have you priced the cost of flying? Our flight from Jerez to Barcelona was cheaper than the train and much quicker!!

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/21/02 07:49 PM

Sel,

NO, i haven't tried the airlines. What airlines did you use? Tomorrow I will attempt to purchase tix in advance for the renfe online. But I would still like to check out the flight info. I can't imagine it being cheaper than the train though.

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/21/02 07:54 PM

Somewhere there is a thread with all the different airline possibilities!!! I wish I could remember which thread!!! We flew Iberia and they have a US website and ticket office. By flying we gained a day in Barcelona which I found to be priceless!! and we arrived rested and ready to go!!! Try a search and I will also see if I can find it. smile
Posted by: CathyM

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/22/02 03:58 PM

During my last trip in Sept 2002 I had planned on taking an overnight train from Burgos to Barcelona and wanted to get my own sleeping compartment. The date for the trip was Sept 22nd but I was actually arriving in Spain the morning of the 13th.

Unfortunately, it was not possible to reserve this on TIKNET through the RENFE site (overnight trains are not available through TIKNET) and with my limited Spanish did not feel comfortable calling RENFE customer service directly. If I purchased the ticket in the US the cost quoted me was over $175 USD, which was riduculous. So I figured that I'd just buy the ticket at the Madrid airport's RENFE station the morning I arrived (9 days in advance).

However, no individual sleeping cabins were available, and no seats in preferente were available. I had to purchase a berch in a litera, a cabin for 6 women. It actually was quite an experience and not as bad as I thought. wink I must also state that it was during the Merce festival in Barcelona so this may have been why the seats were sold so early.

However, if I had to do it again I would have tried to contact the customer service dept for Renfe (with my limited spanish and all) and purchase directly through them before I had left the USA.
Posted by: rios.strongbeach

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/22/02 06:19 PM

Hello all,

I'm going to Spain for the first time and need to book a train from
Madrid to Seville on Dec 30th. For some reason the TIKNET site is not working and I'm wondering if the AVE is going to be all booked up in the event I have to wait to purchase my tickets in Spain.
Any ideas?? I'm trying to book everything now so I'm not left out cold when I get there. I made the mistake of booking a flight to late from Paris to Rome on my first Europe Trip and paid about 700 dollars.
BTW it's 8:30 pm in Spain and 11:30 am in California
smile confused
Posted by: Espe3

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/22/02 07:57 PM

I don't know, but seems like something is wrong with the times... your post went up at 6pm, and its almost 8pm... so it would definately be closed at this hour. But if you tried at 11:30 this morning your time, there shouldn't have been a problem. Keep trying. Your best bet is to try to get the reservations in advance. You could get lucky, but its a long shot... I don't know if you're fluent or not, but it turns out that the website is also done in English, look for the UK flag in the upper right hand corner.

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/23/02 01:08 AM

Hola Again!

Well we've spent the $20 xtra and booked Iberia r/t to Barcelona instead! 1hr. 10 min. !!!

The only other dilemma is: Should we spend New Years in Madrid? or Malaga? We already have a place waiting for us in a resort in Tormelinos/Malaga. Were debating booking a week in Madrid for New Years and selling the week in Tormelinos(Carihuela) What do you think? My fiancee and I aren't into the body to body crowds. I guess we've done that already in NYC. What would you advice for some 30 somethings who are partiers to do? This also means another r/t back to catch our plane in Madrid at the end of the week. and yes, we'll probably take the renfe then. Its only E-31 each way. rolleyes

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/23/02 03:21 PM

Great decision!! $20 and you gain the better part of a day!!

We were there in June so I really have no idea what the area is like during the winter, but I really liked the Málaga area. It had a more rural type atmosphere. Remember that I was with kids, so the late night party scene was not high on my list. My daughter did go out a couple times with older students at our school and each time had a wonderful time. There were things to do, but it certainly lacked the hustle and bustle of the other cities!!

My daughter went out in Madrid with the brother of a friend and she was shocked by the endless number of areas of quality clubs and bars. eek She felt it would take a life time to explore them all!! It was quite and experience for a her!!! Certainly not one that she could have done in the US!!!! Corruption of a minor at its finest! laugh Since my other child was only 12, we did NOT join the party. Besides, it all started after my bedtime!!!

They are such different areas that it is hard to help you with your decision. I would guess that Madrid will be wild with adventure for New Years , but will also offer queter opportunities if you can find them. Maálaga will probably be more sedate but very pleasant. Tough choice!!

I love the ocean even when I have to wear a jacket!! That would be the selling point for me!!!
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/24/02 05:39 AM

Shazz:
Whether you are in Madrid or Torremolinos, most Salas de Fiesta will play the broadcast of the bells ringing from Madrid's Puerta del Sol at midnight, December 31. Just have an adequate supply of fresh grapes with you so that you can swallow one each time the clock chimes. That will bring you a Próspero Año Nuevo! cool
BTW
Please note my (Correct) spelling of Torremolinos

Re: Advance Renfe Reservations VS. Not. - 11/26/02 08:09 PM

wE Bagged Malaga and booked a hostel in Madrid for New Years!! Screw the timeshare! laugh