San Sebastián

Posted by: fish

San Sebastián - 09/23/02 04:55 PM

Will be heading north to san sebestian, would anyone recomend flying up there or taking a bus...I figure a couple hrs flight or a 5/6 hr bus ride, cost difference?
Posted by: chinaclipper

Re: San Sebastián - 09/24/02 02:33 PM

HELLO FISH--

FLYING TO SAN SEBESTIAN FROM MADRID IS A 1 HOUR FLIGHT TO BILBAO AND ABOUT A 60 MILE DRIVE TO SAN SEBESTIAN. MAYBE A BUS WOULD BE CHEAPER BY FAR.
OVER & OUT, CHINACLIPPER
Posted by: Chica

Re: San Sebastián - 09/24/02 02:43 PM

Try logging onto RENFE´s website to check out the train schedules and prices. The train would be more comfortable than the bus, I think!

Re: San Sebastián - 09/25/02 09:55 AM

thanks for all your suggestions, I assume Chamartin is another train terminal in Madrid? Is it in the general proximity of the downtown region? Excuse me as I am a newcomer to this town.
Posted by: Booklady

Re: San Sebastián - 09/25/02 05:48 PM

Hola Fish,
Madrid's Atocha train station is closest to the City Center, Prado & Retiro Park. Chamartin is in the northern part of Madrid, near the Plaza de Castilla, off the Paseo de La Castellana. You use Chamartin to go to sites North of Madrid like Santiago de Compostela, Leon, Bilbao, etc.

Re: San Sebastián - 09/25/02 05:57 PM

thanks a bunch
Posted by: Eddie

Re: San Sebastián - 09/26/02 10:44 AM

Continental-Auto has motorcoaches about once every 2-hours Madrid (Intercambiador de la Avda de America) - easily reachable from Madrid's Barajas airport by MetroMadrid. They take 6-hours and cost about 25 Euros. I travel that way to Santander (about the same distance & time and it's not too bad. Seats are ample and recline. Smoking is prohibited and they usually show a movie. http://www.Continental-auto.es
rolleyes
Posted by: lagurl

Re: San Sebastián - 09/26/02 06:33 PM

Hey there...
Back in late July, my roommate and I took the overnight bus from the station at Avenida de America San Sebastian (right across the street from our flat). It left around midnight and got in around 6am. It was totally worth it economically and we had the whole day to explore the city after resting a bit at our hostal. Have a blast in San Sebastian...it was one of the highlights to my trip in Spain this summer.
Posted by: alejandro

Re: San Sebastián - 09/27/02 11:10 PM

Last week, I took a bus to San Sebastian from Bilbao. The fare was not expensive and the bus ride was short and comfortable. The bus ride to San Sebastian from Madrid would be around 6 hours but is a comfortable ride. I have found buses in Spain to be less expensive than buses and a little bit quicker. Buses seem to make less stops (unless the bus makes many local stops).

Have a great time in San Sebastian! It is an amazing city!