Travel: Madrid->San Sebastian?

Posted by: topherstevens

Travel: Madrid->San Sebastian? - 06/06/02 12:04 PM

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with information about travelling from Madrid to San Sebastian. Is is possible? Bus vs train, cost etc

thanks

topher
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Travel: Madrid->San Sebastian? - 06/06/02 12:54 PM

Hi topherstevens! Welcome to the Spain-loving group!

I just did a search for you using the very handy and often-overlooked (and too small) SEARCH link in the upper righthand corner and found a number of relative threads. One in particular, the " Madrid to San Sebastian???? " thread seems to be perfect. I'll reprint what aerocity wrote below:
Quote:
4-28-2001
Hi!
From Madrid to San Sebastian you may choose between:
1. Regular bus line, with " Continental Auto " taking about 5 1/2 hours in modern and comfortable coaches. It is also the cheapest option, something less than 4.000 pesetas one way. Around 4 departures daily
2. RENFE Talgo train leaving Madrid about 15.00 hrs daily and also taking about 6 hours. Prices between 5.000-6.000 ptas.
3. Flying is the quickest, and more expensive way, around 40 minutes and 17.000 ptas one way. However, your may find special offers in http://www.iberia.com
From San Sebastian to Sevilla, you could go to Madrid and then take AVE train to Sevilla or fly to Madrid and then to Sevilla.
Best regards.
On the RENFE train site you'll get prices and schedules and the same with the Continental Auto bus site (one way is 24 € - CHEAP!)

There you go! Have a GREAT trip and please, whichever you choose, come back to this/your thread and tell us all about it so that others can benefit from your experience. Thanks!!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: topherstevens

Re: Travel: Madrid->San Sebastian? - 06/06/02 03:09 PM

Thank-you for your reply,

The bus seems to be the most economical option for us and I will post upon our return

thanks
topher
Posted by: madridmanjim

Re: Travel: Madrid->San Sebastian? - 06/08/02 05:05 PM

Note that there is usually significant savings when you purchase a roundtrip ticket as compared to two one-way tickets.

The Continental bus line to SS leave from a new bus station located at the Avenida de las Americas metro stop. Very nice. Careful with your wallet, both in and out of the station.