Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid)

Posted by: Bolobesum

Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 12:18 AM

Hola,

I was advised to take the Subway or bus from
the airport to the hostel when I arrive. Does anyone know which subway or bus to take from the airport to Plaza Santa Ana?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Madrid Man, Thank you and everyone who posts for the wonderful up to date information. This
is my first trip to Spain and I feel much more
confident and prepared because of this site.

Muchos Gracias,
Terri
Posted by: derek

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 01:16 AM

I have taken the subway from the airport and it is very easy to use. Beware that is a long walk through the airport to the metro.
The best way to plan your journey is to find the link to the metro web site on MadridMan's homepage and print out the metro map. It really is a very good system as the trains seem to run very frequently.
It is also extremely good value for money with a single ticket something like 135 pesetas and a 10 journey ticket costing around 705.
I would allow anything from 30 minutes to an hour from the airport to your destination.
Derek

[Derek, I have edited your message to put the current prices (year 2000)]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 09-26-2000).]
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 01:46 AM

I agree with dc. From what I hear, the metro is very easy to use if you don't have a lot of luggage. You have to change metro trains a number of times to get to the city center, but it's not at all difficult.

You can view the current metro map HERE . NOTE: the dashed lines are the sections of line #10 which is closed for renovation.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: francisco

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 03:49 AM

Hi,

The airport station is in the north-east (line 8). Plaza Santa Ana is somewhere between "Sol" and "Antón Martín" (in the center of the map).

You will get to "Sol" a little faster (about 45-50 minutes from the airport). Take line 8 to "Mar de cristal", then take line 4 to "Goya", and then take line 2 to "Sol".

Plaza Santa Ana is less than 1/2 km from Sol, so you have to consider the amount of luggage you have.

Anyone would recomend getting out at "Antón Martín" or "Tirso de Molina"?

Saludos.

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 06:55 AM

Wow, francisco! That was very nice and helpful. Hey, if I could get an extra trip to Madrid in the deal I'd be willing carry Bolobesum's luggage from the airport to their hotel ON FOOT!!!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 04:39 PM

Francisco,

I wouldn't advise getting off at Tirso de Molina station but Antón Martín is not so dangerous / bad.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 04:44 PM

Francisco,

Excellent!! Thank you for the very helpful directions. Fortunately, I only have one backpack(1/2 full in case I see anything I
want to bring back with me.) :-) I am looking
forward to doing some walking so the distance
sounds perfect.

Saludos,
Terri

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 05:08 PM

Antonio/Francisco, what makes the Tirso de Molina metro stop so dangerous/bad?? It's one stop from SOL and SOL isn't bad at all (I don't think). Thanks for any explanation.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 05:23 PM

Watch out for the partial closure of Line 2 (the red line). We got caught out a few weeks back. It seems to be closed between Goya and Sevilla, or maybe a bit further. It just means changing earlier to avoid that part of the Metro. Change at somewhere like Diego de Leon or Avenida De America.
The repairs might even be finished by the time you go but whatever it will still be very easy to Get To Anton Martin, which is a pretty ok place to get off.
Derek

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 05:58 PM

dc,

Line 2 metro was reopened on September 16th as you can see from the metro map at my site (which coincidentally Madridman copied )

dc, please remove your post above and and I'll do the same with mine so as not to confuse people about line 2 closure.

Antonio

------------------

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 09-26-2000).]

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/26/00 06:06 PM

Well MM, it's just that I don't think Terri will get a good impression of Madrid by getting off at Tirso de Molina. There are drugaddicts and drug dealers wandering around Plaza de Tirso de Molina. They won't usually bother you but anyway I think Sol station is much safer. Be aware that at Sol station there is a police station but there are also lots of pickpockets.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/27/00 12:50 AM

How can I remove a post. I tried but it doesn't seem to be possible. Maybe MM can do it for me? Glad to see things are back to normal on the Metro.

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/27/00 08:34 AM

Don't worry about it, dc. It shows the transition of progress in the threads and with Madrid's metro. But for future use, click on pen/paper icon (for edit/delete posting) on one of your postings, enter your username/password, and either edit your post or click the box for DELETE.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: francisco

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/27/00 10:46 AM

I mentioned these two stations because, maybe, they could be a little closer to Plaza Santa Ana.

But then, there is what Antonio said about the impression that Bolobesum could get.

Besides, there is one more "transbordo" (connection?) needed to get both stations.

So, after we know the amount of luggage he´s carrying, I think we all (including El Boquerón's Palm PDA ) agree that Sol is the best choice.

Saludos.

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 09/27/00 07:59 PM

Antonio & Francisco,

Thank you both for the careful directions. Looks like I will be getting off at Sol
and walking to the Hostel.
You don't think I will have to worry about my
backpack in this area do you? Being a female
travelling alone?
From all that I have read, it looks like purses and wallets are the main target. My money and Passport will be in my moneybelt around my neck.

Muchos Gracias,
Terri

Posted by: dbear

Re: Subway/Bus transportation (Madrid) - 10/04/00 02:45 AM

Aloha,I found the yellow airport bus to be a piece of cake and reasonable.Once you arrive at the Plaza Colon there are taxis waiting or you can just walk up to the street and check the transit map for the bus headed inyour direction.I believe the 51 and the 150 both go to Puerta del sol.Check the major avenidas crossing at the Plaza colon for bus routes.bien viaje D