Taxis rip offs

Posted by: Antonio

Taxis rip offs - 06/18/00 06:16 PM

Hi everyone,

In Madridman transportations section you can read:

"Taxis are one of the few truly good deals in Madrid -- IF YOU'RE CAREFUL. As stated above, dishonest taxi drivers exist, but are not the norm."

I guess he says so because he knows Madrid and taxi drivers realise they can't cheat him.

However, from the experience at my hostal this is what I would say:

"Taxis are one of the few truly good rip offs in Madrid -- EVEN IF YOU'RE CAREFUL. As stated above, dishonest taxi drivers exist and they are not the norm."

Most of my non-Spanish speakers customers were ripped off when they took a taxi. I have even heard of people who asked for a receipt and they got a fake "official" receipt with a fake license number on it.

Usual rip offs from the airport to the city centre are about 5000 pesetas, but I heard of people being charged even 12000 pesetas. Sadly, the record is 30000 pesetas!!!. Yes, believe me, I heard it on the news. A taxi driver charged two Japanese girls 30000 pesetas from the airport to the city centre.

I wonder that, if dishonests taxi drivers are not the norm, it may be that all my customers happen to bump into them.

Regards,

Antonio

PS: By the way, dishonets taxi drivers led me to find an alternative. That's how I started to work with Aerocity and we are very happy with their service.

[NOTE FOR MADRIDMAN: Hope you don't get angry with me for this post but I'm really fed up with taxi drivers ripping off tourists]

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Taxis rip offs - 06/18/00 09:49 PM

Hi Antonio. I'm truly sorry you feel this way. And, maybe I feel it's not the norm BECAUSE I KNOW this could never happen to me. Believe me, I wouldn't pay anything more than the expected price unless he had a knife to my throat.

Ohhh.. it's a sad state when these things happen and BECOME the norm. Very sad. Maybe services like Aerocity will flourish and make more money if are the only services to offer a preset price AND if they speak the languages of their clients/customers.

And by the way Antonio, I'm not angry at all with you for posting this kind of message. This is an OPEN forum Message Board and people can post whatever they want as long as they're not defamatory (use strong words) or make threats.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Sofia

Re: Taxis rip offs - 06/18/00 11:06 PM

After "being taken" once by a taxi in Madrid, I have resorted to any means of avoiding the taxi. On the same trip I walked almost two miles to a hotel dragging a suitcase behind me. I refused to be robbed a second time.

I will do almost anything to not get into a taxi in Spain.

It has been great hearing about Aerocity from this forum.
Posted by: aerocity

Re: Taxis rip offs - 06/19/00 06:41 AM

Unfortunately, Antonio is right in warning all visitors about the problems we have with taxis in Madrid.
This problem apply mainly to airport taxis, overcharging foreigners who do not know the City and do not speak spanish.
Our service do apply fixed rates with no extra "surprises". Although Aerocity drivers are not always fluent in english they should be able to make themselves understood with clients in this language.
On the other hand, there is always somebody speaking english in our reservation center.
Madrid in general is a very safe and friendly City, apart from some opportunists that try to cheat visitors here and there.
Best regards from Aerocity sales staff.
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Taxis rip offs - 06/19/00 07:14 AM

People who are ignorant enough to be cheated by unethical cab drivers may very well deserve what they get. The rules are the same in any big city in the world: unless you have negotiated a 'fixed' charge that includes everything (all surcharges), make sure that the meter is on and functioning.

The total cost should be what is shown on the meter plus surcharges (stowed luggage and airport or train station pickup or dropoff). Each surcharge shouldn't exceed 500 pesetas; but for travel from Barajas airport to Atocha Renfe station with luggage they could Total as much as 1,500 pesetas.
Not all add-ons are 'ripoffs!' There are several legal surcharges.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Taxis rip offs - 06/19/00 09:01 AM

Eddie, you've made an excellent point. These add-ons are unusual to the American (and maybe other places in the world) where you pay ONLY what's on the meter and nothing more/less, even if you have 5 suitcases in the trunk.

Still, I think those who are uneasy about taxis or don't speak/understand Spanish might feel more comfortable with an Aerocity service or even the metro (ugh...I can only imagine how it is to pull along 2 pieces of luggage through a busy metro station/train).

At one time I was sent a list of all city-authorized taxi prices AND surcharges and it was simply mind-boggling! The charges depended on not only the number of people and pieces of luggage, but also the time of day, from/to the airport, taxi-stand pickup or not, and a number of other things. So, it seems, one can almost be sure they'll never pay what shows on the meter, but having a general idea of how much your add-ons are going to be will only help you in NOT being "taken for a ride."

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-19-2000).]
Posted by: Sofia

Re: Taxis rip offs - 06/19/00 10:19 AM

The taxi rip offs are not unique to Madrid and Spain. I've heard many stories about the same happening at JFK. If you don't know the lay out of the airport before you hop into a taxi, you are going for a ride.

Unfortunately, many people who take taxis are visitors and are dependent on the driver to get them there.

Re: Taxis rip offs - 06/19/00 06:51 PM

Dear Eddie,

It's not people's ignorance. Just let me tell you some stories about Madrid taxi drivers:

1) Rip offs are not due to off the meaters deals. Some of them *manipulate*
the meter so the initial fare is higher than normal.

Several weeks ago I saw a report on the local TV channel telling how two girls
were cheated. The meter showed 3000 pesetas at the begining!!. When they arrived at
the city centre, it displayed 6000 pesetas and then, the taxi driver told them it
was 6000 pesetas each person!!.

They thought they were being ripped off so they asked for a receipt. The taxi driver
gave them a fake receipt with a fake license number. However, they were *clever* enough
to note down the plaque number to complain at the city council.

So, first, there are a few taxi drivers that go that far and manipulate the meter. And, if they don't do it, they can put the meter to count as the night / public holiday fare.

3) When you don't know the city, taxi drivers usually take you around the city and through the most busy areas making sure you pass through all the traffic jams in Madrid.
As you said, the meter is on and functioning but for longer than it should be!!.

4) 5 years ago, the city council issued a leaflet in different languages about what
the usual fares should be. They delivered them at the tourist office at the airport.
And, guess what?. Taxi drivers went to the tourist office to pick them up so they run out of those "dangerous" leaflets quickly.

5) Some of my customers have told me the taxi driver tried to change their minds so that they went to a "better" hostal. It seems that, not happy with cheating them, they also try to take away our customers!!. (Note: Of course, taxi drivers get good commissions at such hotels).

Antonio

PS: By the way, you can have a look at a list of updated taxi fares at my site at http://www.chelo.com/taxi.html

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/17/00 08:06 PM

Municipal Police in Madrid has reported that a group of 25 taxi drivers in the Barajas airport put tape over the meter so that it can't be clearly seen.

To avoid this and other ways of ripping off tourists, one of the taxi drivers associations has come up with the idea of installing new meter with printers. If drivers had to give a printed receipt, they wouldn't probably rip you off since you would have a written evidence of the rip off.

Fortunately, you can rely on the Aerocity service. They won't never charge you more than their preset fares.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
Posted by: Diana

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/17/00 08:30 PM

I really like the printer idea!

In the years I lived in Madrid I heard often that there was a "Mafia" of taxi drivers at Barajas, waiting to rip off a tourist. When you see the lines of hundreds of taxis waiting their turn, you can see how after waiting hours and hours for a customer, some of them would take advantage and try to get a lot of money. I've used taxis from the airport many, many times. Some of the drivers were the nicest people you can find. Others tried hard to rip me off, even though I made it very clear that I knew where I was going, and how the system works. To give THEM a hard time I would always ask the worst ones for a receipt, and they'd always give it to me in totally illegible form!

So a printer sounds great!

(PS: I never had a problem with a taxi driver anywhere else in Madrid. In fact, I've found the city taxi drivers to be polite, extremely helpful people.)
Posted by: rgf

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/17/00 09:27 PM

Sigh.Been ripped off by the airport drivers more times than I wanna count. I did call Aerocity but they told me I'd have to wait an HOUR, and it wasn't worth the mil pesetas ripoff surcharge! You can watch the dudes juice up their meters, but what can you DO? I did go protest to the ayuntamiento once, and it was a total waste of MY time (and i bet the driver never suffered). En fin. Mi marido espanyol even gets ripped off from internacional. But from llegadas nacionales, fewer problems. Maybe it is worth the walk over to the national terminal to hop a cab there! Of course, if the government wanted to do anything about it, they could, but they need those VOTES. In Mexico, you buy a ticket for a set fee and give it to the cab driver, depriving him of incentives to drive the long way, etc. I DESPISE arriving in Madrid and having my first encounter be a watch-the-meter moment. Hey, Aerocity, why not schedule service every 20 minutes like they do at JFK in the USA? You'd fill a van every 20 minutes!
Posted by: Diana

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/18/00 10:51 AM

Is the airport bus to Plaza Colon still working? I always liked it. It would come by right outside the glass doors from the gates about every 15-20 minutes. It was cheap, and when I didn't have too much luggage (they had a special area where you could put your bags), I'd take that into the city, get off at any of the few stops, or at the end in the basement at Colon, and catch a taxi from there. The chances of getting ripped off almost disappeared.

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/18/00 12:58 PM

Hi Rgf and everybody:
We are sincerely sorry you were given 1 HOUR waiting time at the airport.
This is not usual at all, as our vans are up & down almost 24 hrs a day. It should be very late in the evening or a very special and crowded day.
Usual waiting time for passangers without previous reservation can range from inmediate pick up to 20 / 30 minutes.
Please, in order to avoid this possible delay make your reservation in advance, so we will know that you are coming and be prepared to pick you up right away.
Hoping to hearing from you in the near future.
Best regards to all in MadridMan´s Forum.

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/18/00 06:39 PM

amigos at aerocity: the problem is, planes are late. or delayed by a day, as was my caso. So... a reservation, for which you require the credit card, can be a problem. I called upon arriving at 9:30 am on June 28th and was told the wait would be an hour. I would like to try aerocity, though!
rgf

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/18/00 07:09 PM

Diana,

Yes, the airport bus to Colón is still working. However, now most people take the subway and thus the bus terminal at Colón has become a deserted place. There is no cafeteria, security service or even cleaning!!!

Furthermore, if you have to get a taxi from the Colon station to your hotel, you may end up by paying more than the Aerocity fares.

One of my customers was ripped off from Colon station to my Hostal. The taxi driver charge him 5000 pesetas!!!. Of course, this is not the normal thing, but it happens from time to time.

If you want to be sure that you won't be ripped off, take the Aerocity service. You will know how much you will be charged beforehand.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
Posted by: Shawn

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/18/00 10:13 PM

Antonio,
I appreciate your recommendation about using the metro form the airport, but is it safe? A tourist with two suitcases and jetlag traveling from the airport by metro may be an easy target for those Gypsy pickpocket groups. Have any of of our other MadridMan bretheren tried this mode of transportation? I know the aerocity method would be safe, but I do plan on trying as many reccomendations posted here as I can.
I leave for Madrid the 22nd of September and return October 2. I will be posting many more inquiries as my departure grows near. Additionally, I plan to post many morsels following my "viaje".

Gracias a todos,
Shawn

------------------

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/19/00 07:29 PM

Shawn,

Madrid Metro is very safe. And, as for the pickpockets, they are not only gypsies so watch out for everyone.

At London Heathrow airport there are signs everywhere saying "Do not leave your luggage unattended" and I would add "under any circumstances". Sometimes pickpockets try to catch your attention so a colleague can steal your suitcase or wallet.

If you keep an eye on your belongings, you shouldn't have any problems at the subway. By the way, I myself used it to go to the airport in July. It took me about 1 hour and it was perfect.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
Posted by: nnorton

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/22/00 11:01 AM

Yes, the taxi from the airport is a standard ripoff in Madrid. I know what the fare should be, and there is a sign at the airport summarizing usual fares for tourist information out near the taxi stand, though it is not entirely visible. My best defense is to just tell them !NO! I am not paying that fare even if the meter reads 4000 when I know it should be 2000, despite their protestations of traffic, etc, and then I ask for "un recibo oficial", that is one with the numbers punched out on the paper. I have not yet had even a bad taxi driver not give in to this approach. The one time the taxi driver was the most resisitant was early in my Madrid experience and the desk clerk at the hotel had warned me beforehand that if I had any trouble, I should tell the taxi driver that we needed to go talk to the man at the desk. When at first my protests did no good, I told him to come inside the hotel and discuss it, and he knew he was beaten and gave in. They mostly try to take advantage of unfamiliarity with the money and the city. Generally speaking, 2500 pisetas should be more than enough to get you and your luggage to anywhere in central Madrid.
Posted by: pizzi

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/23/00 07:27 AM

after all I read here I can only agree - if you don´t speak spanish and appearently don´t know the city you are more likely to be ripped off. make sure the driver uses the meter and the initial fare is correct. but, not being spaniard neither american, I´ve been ripped off at JFK... even if you go to berlin or london or let´s say third-world-countries you are always the big green dollar-note... so watch out. get a map of madrid before your trip, tell the driver the way you want to go and learn some phrases in spanish beforehand. good luck.

Re: Taxis rip offs - 08/23/00 09:03 AM

wrong. I speak native spanish; my husband IS spanish; we've been ripped off on the international llegadas plenty. You can tell them the way to go, sure. But when they do the 'speed up the meter' trick, what do you say? I saw your knee move? I think I am going to try aerocity, the metro... but when it is a long flight and there are 2 of us, we usually just ante up, protest when we can, and think, come 'on, gobierno, regulate this band of thieves!
Posted by: machi

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/10/00 09:21 AM

Hello,
i would like to know how much cost a taxi from the airport to hotel "MAYORAZGO"?
thanks.
Posted by: steveaqui

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/10/00 11:13 AM

Interesting info here. I usually take the bus from the airport to Plaza Colon and although I can speak Spanish have never taken a taxi in case it was to get stuck in a traffic jam.

Now after reading here, the best bet looks like the subway. Where does it leave from exactly and where does it stop?
Posted by: Jen

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/11/00 11:09 AM

When we were in Madrid and went from the airport to Atocha (was it Atocha? it was to get the Ave), we took the airpot shuttle to Plza. Colón, crossed the street (sort of diagonally), and took a city bus to the station. It didn't take that long and for two of us, it was about 900 pesetas. That's about $3 apiece! Not bad, but also, we didn't mind schlepping our stuff down the street, on the bus...

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/13/00 08:47 AM

Hi Machi!
A taxi ride from the airport to Hotel Mayorazgo should be 2.750 - 3.500 ptas. That is the "official rate".
If you finally decide to take a taxi, do not pay more than 4.000 ptas. They are trying to rip you off.
By the way, please check out our rates for airport shuttle service at our web site www.aerocity.com We can offer you very competitive fixed rates without surprises.
Best regards.
Posted by: WDJunior

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/18/00 09:48 AM

Well, well, well...If I hadn´t lived in Madrid so many years, I really don´t know if I would have "the guts" to travel to this amazing city after reading all these comments. Ripoff, ripoff, ripoff and ripoff, Pickpockets, pichpockets, pickpockets and pickpockets.
What I think is the following (I think I´ve already read this above: Don´t take a cab before asking the driver how much a drive to ??? is going to be!! Is it that difficult? And if you get to your destination and the taximeter reads 5000 or 12000 or ??? ptas. and you KNOW yore being ripped off, do what a spaniard (and definitely myself) would do: Throw whatever amount of cash you think is right for this trip on the back seat, get out and say "el resto, que te lo pague tu padre". Olé!

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/18/00 12:59 PM

I did that. Asked the taxi driver how much it would be. Depends on traffic, he said. If they want to rip you off, they will: they wil rip off espanyoles, extranjeros, etc. You can protest, you can pay them less, and you can also risk being hassled greatly in the process. I think Aerocity will teach the taxi drivers a lesson or two. In cities where the taxis are rip-offs, people seek alternatives.

As for the 'que te lo pague tu padre," you had better be RUNNING when you say it!

And yes, at first glance, you may be surprised to see that the city you move around in has lots of pickpockets and taxi rip offs. They may not impact on YOU, but they certainly impact on those tourists whose experience of Madrid are marred by such matters. In the NYTimes yesterday, there was an article on tourists being assaulted-- OLD PEOPLE, being thrown to the ground, at Colon. We should all be concerned about this. And the gobierno in madrid should be concerned.

[This message has been edited by rgf (edited 09-18-2000).]

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/18/00 03:57 PM

Ok! I’m going to take the taxi challenge when I arrive in Madrid in October. That is take a taxi and agree a max. price and if they want to argue on arrival then so be it.
Posted by: Castiza

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/18/00 06:47 PM

I still think the rip-offs have been exagerated. If it was like that, why are there such long queues in the airport waiting for a taxi? People would have chosen other alternatives if it was so evident. They are a few nasty taxi drivers who are giving a bad name to the rest of them.

Anyway, the initial charge should be something about 200 pesetas plus about 400 for the airport supplement. A normal fare to Madrid could be from 2000 up to 4000, but it depends on the traffic and where exactly you're going. All supplements and also the average cost for kilometer are written in a sticker on the taxi's window.

Finally, if you don't agree with what the counter shows (I don't think there's a different counter for foreigners and locals), just write down the driver's name and his license number (they're in front of the copilot seat)

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/19/00 11:05 AM

You´re right rgf: they always say that it depends on the traffic and they have the right to say so. If you have bad luck and get stuck on the M-40 because of an accident and it takes you two hours to get to your destination it´ll cost you more than taking the usual 25-30 minutes ride. The thing is, that they should be able to say: ok, usually the ride costs about 1800 Ptas. + 500 Ptas for each suitcase. In that case you know what you can expect.
What I´ve done a couple of times when arriving in Barajas is ask the first taxi-driver in line, how much he´s going to charge me. If I do not like the price I just go: nonono thanks, I´d rather take the next one. Then I wait until someone else takes this first cab. Then I go and ask the second one. This works, believe me! Usually the second one goes like: what? he wanted to charge you 5.000 Ptas. for a ride to Colón? I´ll take you for 2.500 Ptas. which is the regular price!!
The thing is, if you tell the first driver to sort of "get lost" the second one knows that you definitely know what you´re doing. Give it a try!
And if it´s already too late, you´re infront of your hotel and the driver starts telling you that the fare that appears on the taxameter is for each passenger or that he´ll have to charge you another 1000 Ptas. ´cause it´s full moon;-)) or some other sort of crap, tell him that you are not willing to pay unless the Policia Municipal shows up. Remember, he might get pissed and start saying some horrible things but he is not going to insist on ripping you off if you are the "right opponent" and have the "not-with-me-dude"-attitude. Neither is anybody going to beat you up for being right.
Un saludo

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/19/00 11:18 AM

There´s one very important thing I forgot: Taxi-drivers are usually very friendly and open to all sorts of chatting during the trip. They often know things not even a Madrilenio (cago en la leche, mira que no tener "enie") knows, cause they talk to so many diferent people everyday.
Regarding the airport thing I forgot to mention, that more than once I´ve heard drivers say all kinds of "not very friendly" things about their colleagues who rip off tourists.
Hasta la próxima!
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/19/00 01:05 PM

You might say that this is in defense of cab drivers in Spain, and particularly in Madrid:

We just got back from Spain and I would just like to report that not once were we 'ripped off' by cab drivers. As a matter of fact, most failed to charge us valid supplemental charges (i.e., pick up at Puerta de Atocha at the Taxi line, and stowing 3 or 4 bags in the trunk ('boot' for you Brits)). Most charged us just what showed on the meter. It was 750 pesetas for 2-passengers with luggage from Puerta de Atocha to Avenida de America bus terminal; and when we came back to Madrid from Santander, it was 1.200 pesetas to go to Alameda de Osuna (about two thirds of the way to Barajas airport) from Avda de America bus terminal. Only once, in Santander, were we charged extra for stowed luggage, and I think that was because Friday was 'Cantabria Day,' the feast day of the Virgen de la Montanha, and the cab driver wasn't very happy to be working that day.

Most cab drivers are honest, hard working people; and unless you are particularly obnoxious, they won't try to 'put it to you.'
Taxi meters are inspected periodically by the Ayuntamiento (weights and measures), just like they are everywhere. I think one of the worst things American Tourists do is express suspicion. A cab driver might be resentful if you do everything but accuse him of dishonesty. One reaction: 'If you're going to get accused of it, you might as well do it.'

Re: Taxis rip offs - 09/19/00 02:33 PM

My cousin works as a taxi driver and I guess he will kill me if he knew I'm posting such bad things about them.

However, all of you are talking about your own experience or your friends or relatives experiences. Having been at Hostal Chelo for 14 years and meeting many people who come from the aiport give me an idea of how many dishonest taxi drivers are there in Madrid.

You all say you were not ripped off but I can tell you that most of my foreign customers get ripped off. I wonder if it's just a coincidence. Maybe only Hostal Chelo customers meet dishonest taxi drivers.

------

"If it was like that, why are there such long queues in the airport waiting for a taxi? People would have chosen other alternatives if it was so evident". Well, here are a few reasons:

[*] Spaniards or people who know Madrid are not likely to be ripped off. Thus, they don't mind taking a taxi.

[*] First time travellers may not know about dishonest taxi drivers in Spain.

[*] Companies pay taxis to businessmen so they don't care how much they got charged.

[*] Few people know about Aerocity. I think Madridman didn't know about them when I first told about it.

Castiza, if you don't agree with the fare on the meter, you don't need to write down any information. Ask for an official receipt (this has the license and plaque number and also all the information about the route and fare). You can complain at the city council with it.

-----

And last, I don't understand why people insist on paying more for their transfer from the airport to the city centre. Even if you are not ripped off you will always get cheaper prices at Aerocity .

------------------
Posted by: cantabene

Re: Taxis rip offs - 10/03/00 08:38 PM

I find an interesting correlation between prosperity and honesty. When I first went to Spain in 1956 taxi fares started at 3.5 pesetas (exchange rate was 35 or 40 ptas. to the dollar.) One day I left a Leica camera in the back seat of a taxi. I went to the taxi office and recovered it. That driver probably made around $5 on a good a day, but he didn't take advantage of the situation. The rules required a payment of 10 percent of the recovered property. I left the driver 3000 pesetas--over the protests of the clerk who said it was much too much.

I guess when people are poor, and all they have is their pride, they are reluctant to sacrifice it.

I doubt I'd get that Leica back today.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 10-04-2000).]

Re: Taxis rip offs - 12/23/00 09:02 AM

Check out the new taxi fares for the year 2001.

Prices have increased by 5.8% for next year.

Regards,

Antonio

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 12-24-2000).]

Re: Taxis rip offs - 12/23/00 01:50 PM

I gave a fairly long account of my most recent encounters with taxis elsewhere on this board but in short:
· I had no problem at all with the taxis,
· The taxi fare was reasonable and proportionate to the distance involved,
· In both directions the journey was quick and convenient,
· However; I believe that the journey from the airport to the Puerta del Sol would have involved a possible overcharging if I had not been able to converse fluently in Spanish,
· However; I believe that the taxi drivers stacking and waiting in the Puerta del Sol can be trusted to return people to the airport without any over-charging at all, even if the people can’t speak Spanish.

[This message has been edited by steveaqui (edited 12-23-2000).]

Re: Taxis rip offs - 12/24/00 09:43 AM

December 20th. A group of ten people coming to my hostel took 3 different taxis from the airport to the city centre. Each taxi was about 5000 pesetas, which obviously was a rip off. Coincidentally, none of them speak a word of Spanish and they didn't know Madrid either.

Antonio

Re: Taxis rip offs - 12/24/00 10:56 AM

I have no personal interest either way in discussing taxis; however, I would suggest that in the case quoted 5000 pts between three taxis and split between ten people yielding a cost of about 1500 pts each (about £5.5 or $7) is not unreasonable for the convenience and distance involved. I would expect to pay that much just about anywhere.

Re: Taxis rip offs - 12/24/00 12:07 PM

Well, steaveaqui, I shouldn't talk bad things about taxi drivers because I have friends and relatives who work as taxi drivers.

However, if you read my previous posts in this thread you will see that it's not just a coincidencen. I've been told of many rip offs for more than 14 years (the time I've been at Hostal Chelo). I really hate when people rip off tourists.

It may seem cheap for you because England is much more expensive than Spain. But 5000 pesetas for a transfer to the aiport is definitely a rip off. In Spain, you should expect to be charged the prices we have in Spain and, in this case, you should be charged about 3000 pesetas (I've even had a few lucky tourists who got charged 2600 pesetas only).

Antonio

PS: By the way, when I went to England last year I was told taxi drivers were very honest. Maybe that's why you don't realised how big the problem is.

PSS: Taxi rip offs usually take place only on the transfers to the airport since they are usually the longest journeys. You aren't so likely to have problems in shorter distances.

Re: Taxis rip offs - 01/07/01 11:02 AM

Two of my customers got charged 8000 pesetas for a ride from the airport to Hostal Chelo. I wonder if it was the new fares for the year 2001 .

Re: Taxis rip offs - 01/07/01 02:10 PM

i protested in a taxi when the meter was clicking every 3 seconds instead of 6, and after taking alook at my hubby and me, seeing we were returning to the palace, noting we were well dressed etc, he said, you are right, it must be the new fares !!!! i am going to get it fixed right away. i think he worried we might turn him in for having an adelantado meter -- and i used that word. so he charged a flat fee which was reasonable. hmmmm. i really do hate taking taxis even within madrid city limits but...i do love madrid.
Posted by: chopchi

Re: Taxis rip offs - 01/07/01 02:49 PM

What is the moral to all these taxi tales? In all my visits to I rarely bother w/taxis in Madrid.If at all possible I walk,something I don't/can't/won't
do in the States.For longer distances I love the Metro-what a bargain,more efficient than taxis and getting cleaner/nicer with every visit.The only time I take a taxi is to and from the airport but I discuss the price before I get into the cab .If they begin to hem and haw I move onto the next cab!Other than the airport, remember to walk and really experience Madrid!
Posted by: Chip

Re: Taxis rip offs - 01/23/01 03:06 AM

I agree. Since the metro has been completed all the way to the airport, there si really little reason to take a taxi -- of course except for those times when you really have to. Walk! Take the metro! It's one of the best ways to get to know Madrid and an excellent way to people watch. I personally have never been ripped off by as taxi driver in Madrid (after a number of airport rides), but I do have some command of Castellano and I do try to be nice and engage the driver in conversation -- the best experience was with a friend who followed Real Madrid -- the driver was a born and bred Real fan and he drove us by the stadium no extra charge!! He was genuinely p[roud of his team and happy to find an extranjero who knew about it.

If you want to talk ripoffs, lets mention RENFE and they way they treat everybody, not just tourists.
Posted by: ElViejo

Re: Taxis rip offs - 01/23/01 09:52 AM

Just got back from Madrid (1/22)and yes the taxi's are a rip off just like they are in Paris, London, NYC etc. But, we found the METRO to be the real deal of the trip. For 145 pesetas (less than a buck and a half) we rode around the city like royalty. We simply mastered the METRO map & the color of the lines that run from one place to another. It was quick, clean and very pleasant. Opps...one kinda bad thing. I did catch one fellow trying to pick my pocket...but he didn't get anything. But, I will never...and I mean NEVER travel by taxi through Madrid. The METRO gets my vote!
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Taxis rip offs - 02/12/01 12:03 AM

Just a tidbit from the LA Times today. The travel section did some research on where the most costly taxi fares were. The sample trip was a three-mile trip including tip.

Most expensive? Los Angeles at $14 USD. New York City came in at $10 USD...and third from the bottom? Madrid. It came in at a mere $3.72 for the trip, just ahead of Mexico City and Athens.

This only reaffirms what I've known while traveling in Madrid...the taxistas are nice, and it's a relative travel bargain. Enjoy your next trip! You'll be saving money over your other world destinations...
Posted by: abrand

Re: Taxis rip offs - 02/12/01 08:42 PM

So I arrive in Madrid at 9:00 p.m. after a long flight from Oregon, U.S.A. I know very little spanish, and the spanish I do understand is Mexican Spanish. So I've been debating this whole metro/taxi thing. I want to go to the Huertas area. How easy is it to take the metro from the airport there and find your way in the dark along the streets to the hotel lopez. Is this a foolish idea?

Details would be appreciated. THanks Amber

Re: Taxis rip offs - 02/14/01 09:46 AM

Hi Amber,
You might consider our shuttle service "AeroCITY" an alternative way to go to your hostal. It is door to door and cheaper than official taxi rates.
Check it out at aerocity.com, our web page where you can get informed and make your reservations on-line.
Buen Viaje!

------------------
Juan
Airport shuttle, limo and coach services in Spain.
http://www.aerocity.com
Posted by: Martin R.J. Cleaver

Re: Taxis rip offs - 07/16/01 11:59 AM

Things haven't changed. eek How do I complain though? I was told to go to the police station - I waited 1 1/4 hours before I gave up because it took too long in the queue.

Anyone got a quick way of reporting them?
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Taxis rip offs - 07/16/01 01:01 PM

You may try via internet (providing you speak spanish) in www.policia.es , or via telephone in the 902 102 112.

Regards

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: Taxis rip offs - 07/16/01 06:39 PM

Quote:
The taxi driver is obliged to give you an official receipt if you wish.

In case of complaint you can fill in a claim form available in the vehicle and send it to:

Oficina Municipal del Taxi
Vallehermoso, 1-2º
Madrid - 28015
Tel: 91 588 96 32
Fax: 91 588 96 31

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Taxis rip offs - 07/17/01 04:08 AM

Hi Abrand,

It shouldn't be difficult if you manage to get a metro map in the Net or at the airport ¿information desk?. You will have to change from metro line two times ( three lines in whole), to reach Sevilla, which I think is the closest Metro station to Huertas, but anyway, MM may recommend another stop/line.

Besides, Metro will always take you downtown, sice it is the farthest stop, so, if you get fed up you can simply go out and take a taxi.

Streets don't use to be dark, besides, Huertas is a nightlife area, but phone & reserve from your country or, at least from the airport, because many hostales do not accept unregistered people at evening/night.

However, pay careful attention to the signs inside Metro, and be ready to ask somebody if you get lost - best method is point the station you go to in the Metro map.
Posted by: jmp110372

Re: Taxis rip offs - 07/19/01 09:06 AM

Hola,

Twice I have been in cabs where the meter is quicker than it should be. What I did was tell the Taxista to take me straight to the Police Station so we can check his meter before I pay him. Both times we agreed to a price much less than the meter.

Also, I now take the metro to the airport and it is great. It gets even better because they are extending the 8 line thru Colombia, and ending in Nuevos Ministerios..

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]