Madrid: New airport bus service

Posted by: steve robinson

Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/20/10 10:49 AM

Another option was unveiled by Madrid´s Mayor , Sr Gallardon , to get from the airport to Central Madrid today . Now you can take an express bus from the airport terminals to Atocha ( the centre ) for just €2 . They are super modern and run on natural gas . I believe the journey takes approximately 40 minutes .
The advantage over the metro , as I see it ,is that you won´t have to negotiate stairs , escalators , and the buses will be user friendly for those with disabilities .

http://www.telemadrid.es/?q=noticias/mad...barajas-con-el-

Posted by: jazz

Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/20/10 01:42 PM

Good news, connect the 24 hours every day of the year, the center of Madrid with the airport of Barajas and will have three stops O'donell,cibeles and atocha......!! perfect!!
Posted by: MadridMan

Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/20/10 02:20 PM

Steve wins the trophy for on-the-spot-News-Reporter! thumbsup I found out independently only 30 minutes ago.

The service is 24/7/365 and runs every 15-minutes between 6am-midnight and every 30-minutes between midnight-6am. Buses are run on natural gas and will also include free Wi-Fi internet onboard. That latter is for all you whom love to Tweet/FB every 30 seconds wink that you're "on the bus", "waiting in line", or "just got a beer from the fridge." Oh, and I guess you could check your email on the bus too. hehehe...

And thanks thumbsup to a message from Executive Member "Antonio", HERE you have a sizable PDF file of the route and stops for the new service. Another link with (possibly) more information can be found HERE on the city's Madrid.es website.

Saludos, MadridMan

Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/20/10 02:20 PM

I need to find where they will stop in O´Donnell ! That´s right next to my apartment ... It´d be damn perfect !

Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/20/10 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By steve robinson
I need to find where they will stop in O´Donnell ! That´s right next to my apartment ... It´d be damn perfect !
Sure! Perfect - until you move! hehehe... UNTIL THEN, they say it'll stop at/near the corner of O'Donnell and Doctor Esquerdo - which is where the O'Donnell metro station is.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/21/10 01:02 PM

exactly I saw the story in El Mundo, its about time. Should work well for everybody.

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/21/10 05:37 PM

That´s bang infront of my apartment . And I agree that I am having to move sometime , but we are looking in the same area .
Posted by: laduque

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/22/10 12:37 AM

Well, I took the bus with my suegro from Terminal 4 to Avenida America and then transferred from there to the C1 for a wonderful touristic route to home-this past July after I dropped hubby off at airport. So the bus was going from the airport before but this one is an EXPRESS to the Atocha!!!! Even better~! After taking the bus from the airport, I would never take the metro...In fact the bus is my defacto mode of transport when I'm in Spain. CAn't beat the door to door service that the metro just doesn't offer!!!!

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/23/10 06:40 AM

well anything above ground is better ::) car, bus, do not like trains, maybe something to do to take them in Madrid in another era earlier 70's.
Posted by: Silver Traveler

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 09/23/10 04:42 PM

Wonderful news! I plan to use it in October when I am there. Where does it take on passengers near Terminal 1 (Delta)? Thanks!
Posted by: nay

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/06/10 04:08 PM

Does anyone have a list of hotels near where the bus will stop at city centre? Or could you suggest a site that will let me select a very specific zone? I don't speak spanish and alittle apprehensive about navigating to the hotel, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/07/10 03:53 PM

Welcome to our little ALL SPAIN Message Board, nay!! wave

The only 2 "Old" downtown stops are at Plaza de Cibeles and at Glorieta de Carlos V (a.k.a. Plaza de Atocha) at the Atocha Train Station.

There really aren't many hotels all that near to Cibeles but there are more around Atocha. What's your price range? Around that latter you have lots of "hostales" but also some hotels within walking distance.

But don't worry. Once we know how much you're hoping to spend we can help guide you there. And you can also take a virtual stroll from point A) to point B) using Google Maps Street View.

Also, if you're getting off the end-point of the shuttle bus at Atocha, you can catch the metro there and 3 stops later (on the same Line 1) you're in Madrid's Puerta del Sol where you have dozens of lodging possibilities at all price points.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/07/10 05:05 PM

Ok...took a risk and used priceline and won Westin Madrid Palace. Considering I have to manage my luggage by myself is it managable to take the express bus and from the last Atocha stop find the hotel? Also if you have any suggestions on breakfast suggestions, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/09/10 04:13 AM

The Hotel Palace is on the Plaza de Neptuno (though officially called Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo). From Atocha to Plaza de Neptuno is about 700 meters.

From Plaza de la Cibeles - the second to last stop - to Plaza de Neptuno is only about 500 meters. Would you feel comfortable walking these distances with luggage? You wouldn't be the only one on the sidewalk lugging his luggage, I assure you, but the sidewalk is not all that wide going down/up Paseo del Prado to the hotel.

Upon returning from your trip, would you please come back here to this/your thread and be the first to review the new airport bus service?

There are plenty of bars around for breakfast. I beg you to avoid the Starbucks next to the hotel.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/09/10 10:30 AM

Thank you so much for your help, I would probably prefer to walk just the 500 meters with the luggage, do you have a street address for the cibeles bus stop so I can input that into google maps? I think I would be more apprehensive of getting in a cab alone than walking from the bus stop. My son (who is studying abroad) is meeting me at the hotel,so after arriving there I won't have to worry about navigating by myself. I will definately not choose starbucks, I don't like it here in the USA, too many new things to try in Madrid to resort to something I can experience at home. I will certainly post my experience using the express bus when I return.

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/09/10 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By nay
I will definately not choose starbucks, I don't like it here in the USA, too many new things to try in Madrid to resort to something I can experience at home.
THERE you go. THAT'S what I like to hear.

Regarding the bus-stop location at Cibeles, the truth is, I don't know yet since no one's taken this bus yet. I can only guess it's either on the north or western side of the plaza as it has to continue down the Paseo del Prado towards Atocha.

Same goes for the stop at Atocha, the plaza is so big, like Cibeles, that I don't know yet where they might stop. THAT'S why your review is so important (!!) and will be enlightening for us all.

Happy Travels! Saludos, MadridMan smile

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/09/10 04:26 PM

Nay , you just made my evening ! Say no to Starbucks , McDonalds and Burger King ...all of which are popular with the young guys here . It´sa real shame . Enjoy great Spanish coffee and great Spanish food !

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/11/10 09:41 AM

"I will definately not choose starbucks, I don't like it here in the USA, too many new things to try in Madrid to resort to something I can experience at home. I will certainly post my experience using the express bus when I return."

I agree, good for you, enjoy Madrid as natural as it is.
Posted by: jacmom

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/11/10 12:19 PM

nay, I caught that you used Priceline for your hotel, did you book your flight that way also? I have used them for hotels, but not yet for flights. Have a good trip - when do you go?

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/20/10 02:07 PM

Jacmom...I used skymiles for my airline ticket, I have never purchased airfare using priceline. This was my first international hotel purchase using them but I got 50% lower than the best rate I had found on multiple travel websites so I was pleased. I did go to another message board that gave me tips on how to bid!

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/22/10 10:42 AM

well interested to know if the bus is operational and if someone had try it already;thanks
Posted by: Silver Traveler

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/23/10 07:44 AM

Saturday 1:45 pm in Madrid

Arrived at the airport this morning and anticipated the express bus service...However, could not locate a stop for it. Asked at the airport information desk and they did not know about it. Finally, the attendant called someone, and then advised it would not begin until November. So,took the aerocity van instead.

Does anyone know different?

Thanks

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/23/10 07:12 PM

Ooooooh.... that's bad news. While not surprised the airport attendant didn't know anything about it (typical) I am surprised to found out that it wouldn't start 'til November Xth. That's a disappointment lesser publicized. frown

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/25/10 09:50 PM

OH I am so disappointed the express shuttle is not running yet. I will be there in a couple of weeks so hopefully by then it will be operational! I will let you know.

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 10/26/10 05:56 AM

thanks for the update , I was afraid of that. Lets keep an eye on it.
Posted by: jazz

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 11/05/10 06:44 AM

Today first day of work,Fare 2 Euros. Pay the driver in cash when you get on. Travel time about 40 minutes depending on traffic.From 23:30 to 06:00 h. route terminus in Plaza de Cibeles connect to EMT night buses net.

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 11/05/10 01:26 PM

thanks ,thats good news.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 11/08/10 11:53 AM

More info on the new Express Line Madrid - Aeropuerto Barajas

As for the other buses lines going to the airport, bus #200 and bus #204 (Avenida de América to T1,T2,T3) and (Avenida de América to T4) will be joined together as to only one line: bus #200 serving all the terminals from Avenida de América.

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 11/08/10 12:26 PM

thumbsup Thanks for that link, Antonio!!!

The "Intercambiador Atocha-Renfe", where exactly is that? Is that underground, under the Atocha train station? huh

Anyone know yet where to get the bus outside of ARRIVALS/BAGGAGE CLAIM at terminals 1, 2, or 4?

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: New airport bus service - 11/09/10 02:49 AM

Just read from "JEFF_" on the Fodor's forum that he used the Madrid Express Bus service from Atocha to Barajas on 6 November. He said he got the bus on street level just outside the circular part of Atocha (cercanías) which houses the escalators. I'm gathering the bus stop he mentions, one with a vertical yellow sign, faces the cylindrical glass structure commemorating the victims of the 2004 Madrid Train Bombings.

He wrote...

Quote:
JEFF_ on Nov 7, 10 at 4:50pm

Yes! The Airport Express is running. I took it yesterday from the Atocha-Renfe station. It leaves every 15 minutes Monday to Friday, and every 20 minutes on weekends and holidays. It costs 2€ and took about 30 minutes with little traffic.

The stop at Atocha is just outside the round Cercanias building on the upper street level. This is at the easterly side of the main station above where the Cercanias platforms are. Take the escalators to top. The stop is marked by a vertical yellow sign. Pay the driver.

They're new bright yellow buses and have plenty of space for luggage on board (not underneath) and seating for a couple dozen people with lots of standing space.

It makes two other quick stops (Plaza de Cibeles and O'Donnell) before getting to the airport. It makes three stops at the airport: Terminal 1 departures, Terminal 2 departures and Terminal 4. At Terminal 4, the stop is at the upper arrivals level, so you have to take the elevator or escalators to the departure area. It runs to and from Atocha between 6:00 AM and 11:30 PM. Between 11:30 and 6:00 AM, it only goes as far as Plaza de Cibeles.

It was fast, efficient and couldn't be any handier - or cheaper.