Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there?

Posted by: chica21b

Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/16/10 01:18 PM

My family and another family are taking a vacation for 4 days to Madrid next week. We are really wanting to get to Sevilla can anyone tell us the best way and cheapest way to get there? I've read online the train but is it best to buy tickets in advance? We are so excited we dont really have an itinerary just kinda going with the flow.

Posted by: la historiadora

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/16/10 03:42 PM

Sevilla is wonderful and it's very easy to get there via one of the high speed trains. It is possible to purchase tickets once you're in Madrid, but there are a few reasons you may want to buy them in advance.

One, you will often find really good deals on the RENFE website; depending on availability, you can find "estrella" and "web" specials. Two, you will have confirmed seats so you won't end up disappointed if you aren't able to buy tickets once you're there. With all the Iceland volcano activity, the airports have been closing intermittently around Spain for the past few weeks, so airline travel isn't very reliable right now. If you were to drive, it would take you at least five and a half hours.

Be aware that occasionally people have difficulty buying tickets online. For one recent discussion, see here. It seems that persistence is the best solution for purchasing RENFE tickets online; in other words, just keep trying.

Good luck and have a great trip!
Posted by: Pete Woodman

Re: Sevilla - 05/17/10 06:46 AM

And another reason is that however long it takes you to book online it's got to be quicker than queueing at Atocha.
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/17/10 10:40 AM

I travelled with some American military friends to Sevilla and they loved it ! The train travels at nearly 300 kph but they have a stand up bar where you can get a beer and something to eat , and watch the world go by . These guys are in Afghanistan right now , but love coming to Europe . Train travel is a real experience .. very comfortable and easy ! The train journey is as smooth as you can imagine and is always on time ( or they´ll refund your money ! ) .
By the way , we just went to Atocha the day before our travel ... no problems at all . And as people , like me , living in this city will know , Atocha is an amazing tourist attraction with it´s indoor tropical "selva " ( jungle ) .

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/18/10 12:31 AM

Thank you all for your advice! We are a military family traveling right now and although we're here in Germany for 4 more years we'd love to see as much as we can in those 4 days! I'm gonna start my online ticket purchasing now.

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/18/10 08:53 AM

Where in Germany are you ? .. I stayed many times near Soest , on the military base called " Salamanca" ! I also visited Rheinhdahlen ... One of my most memorable evenings in all my trravel was the officers´summer ball in Soest .. Absolutely amazing . Also a couple of nights at the military hotel in Berlin . There is another military couple on this message board .. now working for the US embassy here in Madrid . If they read this , maybe they´ll get in touch .
By the way , I love Germany , and have good memories of travel there . A friend of mine ( Swiss German ) and her husband own a beautiful , traditional guesthouse in the countryside of the Schwarzewald ( Black Forest ) . I would happily send you the details . The house looks incredible !
I woulsd also say that a wonderful travel memory for me was going to Köln ( Cologne ) with friends for the Weinachtsmarkt ( Christmas market ) in the shadow of the cathedral . At night , outside , drinking hot mulled wine ( Gluhwein ) , eating Bratwürst ( sausages ) ... Truly the way christmas should be celebrated !
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/19/10 07:34 AM

for sure Sevilla is beautiful, train is ok but rather see that road better by bus. with www.socibus.es 19,40 euros for 6 hrs trip from estacion sur de autobuses in madrid

could be the cheapest way, the best way is by car ::)
hope it helps

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/19/10 12:48 PM

But , Pedmar , with the train you can get up and walk around ... go to the bar , get something to eat ... Travel by rail is much more comfortable .
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/20/10 08:55 AM

never Steve, rather see the roads and towns of where I am going if have to do it in public transport. I take the train only when the business requires it. I am a road warrior ::)

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/21/10 03:56 AM

I hate roads because I have been witness to , and involved in , some very bad accidents .. including a young boy being killed . I relax on the trains . But as they say in English : " One man´s meat is another man´s poison " .. Enjoy the roads Señor road warrior !
Posted by: jazz

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? - 05/21/10 05:59 AM

My preferences to travel to Sevilla
1ºAVE
2ºplane
3ºbike
4ºwalking
5ºcar.....dangerous, bored, tired,.... and traffic fines
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/22/10 05:17 AM

If you're looking now for how to get from Madrid to Seville, it's not too hard to compare - unless you're someone with somewhat unlimited resources or have the travel-attitude, "You only live once".

Bus: 19.40 Euros for 6 hrs trip
AVE train: 73 Euros for 2.5 hour trip, purchased via internet today - the lowest price for 30 May. Walk-up prices will surely be double that.

So time has passed and you may already be in Spain. What did you decide? After your trip to Sevilla from Madrid, we'd LOVE to hear your observations. If you felt your choice was a good one and why. Or if you have the feeling, "Well, if I had it to do over again I would've chosen the...."

If someone told me, "MadridMan, we need you to come to Sevilla next week for a meeting," what form of transportation would I choose - assuming I was paying for the trip myself, of course. I too may opt for the cheaper bus ride of less than 40 Euros for the round-trip ticket over the, possibly, 140 Euros round-trip on the train. But, and it almost never fails, after about 4 - or 5 - hours on that bus you start asking yourself, "Oh my. Why the HECK didn't I take the train?! I'd have paid quadruple the price to be there already." Never fails. Don'tcha hate it when you're all antsy on that transAtlantic flight, you look down at your watch after 5 hours and realize you STILL have 3 or 4 hours more to go? Ohhh Gawwwwd!!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/22/10 09:07 AM

I am watching this thread with interest because my spring break next year falls before Easter, so I am debating going to Seville instead of Madrid and taking the train. I think for me, an American, train travel isn't just a way to get there, it is an experience. We just don't do it much in the US. I am learning that I should buy my train tickets in advance. Will post closer to the time for advice about visiting Seville during Holy Week, unless someone wants to advise now..

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/22/10 05:18 PM

The train journey from Madrid to Sevilla is a pleasure . Comfortable and fast .
Posted by: jazz

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/23/10 04:45 AM

Looking tickets with "Tarifa Web"...32,30€
In general, purchase with a minimum of 15 days in advance. Internet sales only. Places are limited. Cancellations prior to train departure 50% of expenses. No changes allowed.Put them 60 days before departure,there are very few tickets if your planner, you can get a good price but.... can be crazy Renfe's website

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/23/10 05:18 AM

Steve we are stationed at Ramstein AB in Kaiserslautern is the biggest city near us. We absolutely love the way of life in Europe. It's so much more calming and relaxing compared to crazy busy lifestyle in the states. We have been to many many places outside of Germany not so much in Germany. Though we have been to Koln one of my favorite places. And please YES do send me the info for your friends in the black forest. We went once and have always wanted to go back but to stay the night in the black forest the next time.

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/23/10 09:47 AM

Chica21b this is the link to my friend´s place :

http://www.schneiderkasparshaeusle.homepage.t-online.de/

The house was built in the 18th century . Check the left hand side menu and there is an option to translate into English . Doris , herself , speaks perfect English .

Steve .
Posted by: jacmom

Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? - 05/24/10 11:29 AM

Steve, We will be back in Madrid next summer. Juliana will graduate, so we plan on spending time in Madrid, Barcelona (to see our former exchange student) and then on to Germany. Your friend's place in Hinterzarten would seem ideal after the big cities. We will keep them in mind.

To get to Hinterzarten, would you train or fly to Frankfurt as the nearest city of size?