Lack of European Travel from Spain

Posted by: MadridMan

Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/27/10 07:51 PM

"Lack of European Travel from Spain"

Can you relate? How is it that I've been in Spain for 4 years now and have ONLY visited Switzerland (several times)? That's just crazy.

Saludos, MadridMan rolleyes
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/28/10 04:58 AM

Ok ... Europe ( as well as Eastern Europe ) .. Go to Slovenia and stay on the banks of Lake Bohinj ... and let all you worries and stress just fade into the distance .. It´s beautiful ! ( And it´s cheap ) . Go to Germany where the people are soooo friendly and love to party . France where the food is astonishing .. and I recommend the small town of Bandol . And even Russia .. St.Petersburg and Moscow are phenomenal . Luxembourg .. an amazing setting with th Ville de Luxembourg set above a gorge . Holland and Amsterdam .. Go for "Queen´s day " when they celebrate the Royal house of Orange ... The city is just a party for a few days . And last but DEFINITELY not least , Portugal .. The most beautiful beaches in places like Tavira in the Eastern Algarve and , of course , Lisboa . Man this is giving me itchy feet !
Posted by: jazz

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/28/10 06:58 AM

Phew MM! yesss, ¡that's just crary! Paris, London, Rome, Amsterdam ,..... is a disaster not see them,
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/28/10 07:26 AM

I was surprised to hear that many people I had met in Spain had not left the Iberian Peninsula. The lack of European travel has been a puzzle to me, too. Perhaps it is just that Spain has it all and people don't feel the need to leave? But MadridMan, you are an American originally and you need to do more travel in Europe. Isn't it like crossing from Ohio into Michigan (not that you'd want to do that)? Make it your New Year's Resolution to do more travel!
Posted by: eskimo joe

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/28/10 01:09 PM

Europe has so much to offer , and with the cheap flights long weekends are so easy. We have loved every place we have been to Munich in Germany . Brussels, Brugge and Ghent in Belguim , an underated country with great food and wonderful beer . Geneva lovely city but can be expensive if you dont search about . Italy more great food and wine and beautiful people.

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/28/10 04:40 PM

Italia is the place that I´m ashamed never to have been .. I desperately want to go to Roma , Firenze , Sorrento .. But flights aren´t that cheap from Madrid ! And accommodation in Italy is very expensive .
Posted by: Jim Costello

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/28/10 07:56 PM

MM how about going to Dublin. You can start by having a Guinness and some Irish food at the James Joyce Pub in Madrid.
Matt the owner/manager is from Dublin and many of the staff are also from Ireland,the UK,Italy, and other countries. They can give you some recommendations.

Good luck and enjoy your great opportunites to travel.
Posted by: eskimo joe

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/29/10 03:30 AM

Also get good German Wheat bear in Irish bars , thats why I goto them .
Easyjet fly to Edinburgh , spend a few days in Edinburgh and Glasgow both great cities .
Steve cant believe you havent been to Italy , Milan is great for shopping for fashion.
Posted by: deibid

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/29/10 07:14 AM

European travel from Spain? well, if you don't want to spend a lot of money (plane, hotel...) there are a couple of obvious choices: Portugal and France!
Explore the Pyrenees area, that is the most beautiful scenery in Spain and some of the best in France... you can cross the border several times almost without noticing and compare both sides, their culture, their scenery... it is great! I did so in october and it is to be recommended.
About Portugal: for most spaniards Portugal is a place to go and buy towells wink but you should know Lisbon and Porto, two great European cities that are as far from Madrid as Barcelona is.
Posted by: jazz

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/29/10 08:17 AM

for example, Madrid to Rome, Rome to Madrid, on 8 March to 11 March in ryanair 79,67€ ¡Mmmmm!!!.is this expensive?
Posted by: admiral44

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/30/10 09:13 AM

Madridman,

Maybe you're "home." Maybe Spain is what you enjoy and as you said, you "want/need to see more."

Spain certainly has a lifetime of experiences to offer. While Europe is there for the visiting, knowing your local turf is worthy, too.

Then again, the breeze is up, stretch the canvas, and sail over the horizon. It's a good day for going to sea.

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 01/30/10 10:56 AM

Admiral44 .. When I was going through many difficult stress related problems in London´s financial markets I had a quote above one of my computer screens at work .... Mark Twain ... It gave me the encouragement to move on :

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Jim ... Matt at James Joyce is a fun guy . If you go to watch the rugby he´s always having a good , but busy , time .. Swears like a trooper but a real publican .. He´ll always make you feel welcome .. A real Irish welcome .

Debid , you´re right, though I´m not a big fan of Ryanair ( I travelled with them once only ) ... But I want to go to Italia in summer to see all the beautiful people .. Roma , Sorrento , Napoli etc.. then the prices are much higher I think .
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 02/03/10 05:46 PM

Like we said, Spain everything under the Sun ::) yes its catchy to stay, but when you do go out, oh oh its a wonderful world in Europe. Many many countries indeed, and over 5000 photos and 3500 postcards !
Cheers
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 02/04/10 01:17 AM

Like many people in their lives, I often feel "held back" from work, home responsibilities, and some laziness to travel. And since I don't like to travel during the hot summer months, spring and autumn are the times... and springtime's coming!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Lack of European Travel from Spain - 02/04/10 02:41 PM

Well when you decide to cross the pyrenees let me know MM .