Man Bag: Do you know what that is?

Posted by: MadridMan

Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/10/09 10:22 AM

I'm considering writing a blog entry on this topic.

UPDATE: Read "The European "Man Bag" Carry All" blog entry.

Do you know what that is? There was a Seinfeld episode based on the topic but, as you may or not realize, men commonly carry day-bags or "Man Bags" on their person to tote along their sun glasses, prescription glasses, mobile phones and/or PDAs, wallets, and whatever else they may have to carry around which won't fit securely in their front and back pockets without causing unsightly bulges. (like we need more!)

Men in the USA would NEVER carry such things but they're quite common here in Spain among the young and old.

What do YOU think abou them??

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: gazpacho

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/10/09 11:03 AM

Ufff.

I wouldn't be caught dead with one. If it don't fit in my pockets, I don't need it.

But I remember them worn about he waist. I can't remember if I've ever seen one here in the States. If I did it would be in a place like Disney World.

Just because I wouldn't wear one, I've nothing against another of my sex wearing one. Although it does summon images of the new castrate. blush smile
Posted by: Daniel-Madrid

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/10/09 12:12 PM

they are veeeeerrrryyyy popular here, along with those bagsman-hand that older blokes have (mariconeras)

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/10/09 01:26 PM

I would suspect so much in Barcelona, where I've seen some very strange sights in there parks, but please tell me that it's not so in Madrid!?!?!? cry

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/10/09 01:38 PM

bagsman-hand????? what on earth did i write there? I meant to say "mans handbags"

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/10/09 02:56 PM

Daniel-Madrid, you're referring to these below:

These in the photo are obviously today's style but new. The ones of these I've seen in the streets, only carried by old men, are also made of well-worn leather and do also have the wrist strap.

Those worn by today's males are these below:

Some of my more homophobic United Statesen friends sometimes tell me, "You wear that thing back here and I won't be seen with you!"

Got more comments? Feel free to leave them with "The European Man Bag" blog entry too. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/10/09 03:28 PM

yeah, those are the ones i was referring to. they are called "mariconeras". but, i see people with the ones in the bottom pictures all the time. In fact, i went onsite with a client today and noticed that almost every guy who walked into the department was carrying one, young and old. funny you should blog about it because i noticed their proliferance this morning!

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/10/09 06:44 PM

Actually MM and Daniel,

Those aren't quite the ones that I remember. The ones I remember had a waistband and a contoured bottom and a flip top like those. And they were made of a nylon-type material like a knapsack, I think. The ones in your picture must be the more modern type.

I'm not that homophobic. I think I had some friends that wore them when they were popular. Didn't bother me.

Gazpacho
Posted by: billy the man

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/11/09 05:34 AM

over here in the UK these bags are known as "Bum Bags" dont ask me why (they are also called another name which i cannot print on here in case of offence) even though its a rude word in England thats what they are called.
if you went out in town with one the stick you would get would be terrible, although they are popular in seaside resorts its not something you do in your local area.
as gazpacho says if it dont fit in the pocket i dont need it
if i do my wife carries stuff in her handbag
not my scene im afraid

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/11/09 05:54 AM

But aren't BOTH the hand-held bags AND the over-the-shoulder strapped bags called (this horrible term) "Mariconeras" - or is it just the hand-held bags? It's my understanding that both are commonly called that but I'm not sure.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/11/09 06:34 AM

i was under the impression that it was just the handheld ones. i've only ever heard the over the shoulders ones referred to as bags.

p.s. don't forget the riņonera!!!!

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/12/09 09:13 AM

Daniel, MadridMan

That's exactly the kind that I remember. Worn about the waste.

Gazpacho
Posted by: Donna Cuervo

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/19/09 03:15 AM

American men carry attache cases and messenger bags. Different shapes, but they serve the same purpose as the wrist strap bags.
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 08/19/09 02:26 PM

I carry a "man bag " similar to the ones in Germany and Russia and they arre great . Itīs worn like a hand bag ( I admit ) , but is totally the right thing to wear in the city ( regarding security )
Posted by: Tandoorii

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 03/30/10 07:12 PM

What about small backpacks? Is that a "can-do" thing for men in the highly smart and fashion conscious Madrid?

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 03/31/10 03:29 AM

Backpacks, I've seen on men/teenagers and some of the travel-backpacks too but haven't seen a small one. Of course you can wear/carry one, though. No one's going to say anything. Most often it's across the body bag like the larger one I carry when I'm traveling.

Keep in mind that wearing/carrying any form of pack worn on the back behind you has a higher risk of pilferage where zippers can be undone or the bottoms cut to access its contents. Just beware.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 03/31/10 06:33 AM

The problem with a backpack is that it screams "TOURIST" and that will attract the inevitable ( in any city ) pickpockets . Almost no Spaniard will wear a backpack around town .. apart from the kids that use them for school books .
I would still go with the small bag ..that you wear the strap across your chest and therefore have it infront of you and in complete view .
They can be bought cheaply here .. I got mine for about 10 Euros in El Corte Ingles ( manufactured , strangely , by Levi { Dockers} . Itīs very useful . Many of my Spanish and Latino friends use them .

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 03/31/10 12:46 PM

The one steve robinson refers to above is what I carry on daytrips or downtown when I have to take documents. The space in the middle has a zipper at the top. The flap goes over that and buckles at the bottom. Virtually theft-proof.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 03/31/10 02:26 PM

That don't look bad MM,

It kind of looks like a soft case for a laptop.

The poser looks like an ornery hombre though.

Gazpacho

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 03/31/10 02:54 PM

By the way , I just want to make a point .. regarding Tandooriiīs comment : "What about small backpacks? Is that a "can-do" thing for men in the highly smart and fashion conscious Madrid?" ... Madrid is well known for being less interested in fashion and more interested in the arts . Many very good restaurants here you can go to in jeans , similar to North America .I like that attitude . I like dressing up for a special occasion but I donīt want to think about it every day !

They do have a fashion culture here , but nothing like , for example , Italy ... Thatīs a country where youīll have to think about what youīre wearing .
My Peruvian room mate works for a big fashion label , as a visual designer , and he has to think , every morning , about what to wear .. heīs very proffesional so always looks great , but personally , I would hate to have to do that every morning .
Posted by: Rob in Madrid

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 04/03/10 03:21 PM

I've been using a 'Murse' as my nephew calls it for many many years, I've always hated the wallet in my front pocket feel. Anyways in this day age of black berry iphones etc one doesn't (please don't use `don'tī as it's bad grammar - personal pet peeve) how does one carry everything, keys oversized phone, phone etc. They are becoming much more popular this days.

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 04/04/10 08:45 AM

I see the problem,

The only thing in this whole string that I can tell that men need a purse for is a cell phone. I've come to the conclusion that I doesn't need one. And I'm certainly not going to wear a purse if I ever changed my mind.

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 04/04/10 12:53 PM

The stuff I carry in my Man Bag:
  • Wallet
  • Sunglasses-case
  • Prescription glasses-case (if I go to the movies)
  • PDA-phone
  • camera
  • metro map
  • cough drops
  • kleenex
... and then I can barely close it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 04/04/10 01:54 PM

concur with MM on this . Sometimes when Iīm walking in the Centre .. Iīll get a call from Spanish friends " where are you ? " ... me : " Iīm in Callao " .... Ok letīs meet in 20 minutes in Opera . .. My cellphone is important . My little compact camera is stuck to my side like a leech ! I have a digital SLR for better quality .
So my "manbag" will always contain my cell phone , camera , wallet ....thatīs all I need for the City .. And as has been mentioned by MM , virtually theft proof ..A good deal in ANY city !
Posted by: admiral44

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 04/04/10 02:49 PM

Hence, the guayabera shirt. Four pockets up front.

Upper port side pocket = pen, cellphone.
Upper starboard side = cigars, glasses when not in use.
Lower port side = small camera in slip cover, keys sometimes.
Lower starboard side = notebook, a few small bills for tips, drinks, etc.

Just a suggestion.

Re: Man Bag: Do you know what that is? - 04/05/10 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By admiral44
Hence, the guayabera shirt. Four pockets up front.

Sounds more like a "Full Metal Jacket" or an infantryman's day-pack. hehehe....

In fact, when I have to dress up and can't take the "Man Bag" I find it very difficult because there's no place to put the glasses cases except in my pants pockets (which really isn't a good luck for men). I can, however, affix the camera case and PDA case to either side of my belt but they're cumbersome and make me look fat(ter).

Saludos, MadridMan