My Travels in North East Scotland

Posted by: robbieroy

My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/24/15 10:51 AM

I live in the North East of Scotland and often travel around in my camper van. I can honestly say that since I got the camper van I have discovered a lot of beautiful spots within a short travelling distance of my home base in the university town of Aberdeen (the Granite City by the grey North Sea.

What follows is a series of pictorial posts which will hopefully give you a flavour of this area of Scotland, particularly the coastal areas to the north of the city.

Hope you enjoy looking at the photos of my local travels and please do not hesitate to post any questions... I'll answer them if I can!
RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/24/15 11:00 AM

As I mentioned in the post above, Aberdeen is a university town (in fact it has two universities: the University of Aberdeen and Robert Gordon's University).
I studied and finished off my working career at the University of Aberdeen which is situated in one of the "old quarters" of the city, Old Aberdeen. It is a beautiful part of the city where the university was founded in 1495, so I thought this would be a fitting place to start...

Old Aberdeen and the University of Aberdeen

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/24/15 11:12 AM

More of Old Aberdeen...

Posted by: jazz

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/24/15 11:55 AM

I loved Aberdeen and all north of Scotland I've good memories. I hope to come back soon...
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/24/15 08:20 PM

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/25/15 07:55 AM

Originally Posted By: jazz
I loved Aberdeen and all north of Scotland I've good memories. I hope to come back soon...

It's a small world (or should that be forum?) Jazz - was it studying, work or holiday travelling that brought you to the area?
Hopefully you'll have the opportunity for a return visit.
RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/25/15 07:57 AM

Originally Posted By: teachertraveler8
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, all taken on my mobile phone. Just shows how the technology has moved on. More to come :-) ....
RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/25/15 08:07 AM

Here is a few more of the University area before moving on...

RR
Posted by: pedmar

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/25/15 02:08 PM

great I am thinking of one too. I have a Spanish friend marry to England guy lives there and now traveling in pas de calais , she does all by camping car,it seems a good deal

I have another English guy asking me to buy one here near me to take on a spin as well, so I might be getting the bug to get one ,will see
nice photos

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/26/15 06:22 AM

Originally Posted By: pedmar
great I am thinking of one too. I have a Spanish friend marry to England guy lives there and now traveling in pas de calais , she does all by camping car,it seems a good deal

I have another English guy asking me to buy one here near me to take on a spin as well, so I might be getting the bug to get one ,will see
nice photos

Thanks for your comments pedmar.
A "camping car" (autocaravana", RV, motor home, camper van) is a great way of seeing the countryside. I've had one now for about four years and really enjoy getting out and about either wild camping or staying at a campsite.

RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/26/15 06:26 AM

As mentioned, Aberdeen is a coastal town. It has a beautiful and very long beach, a very busy industrial harbour and a bit of wild coastline...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/27/15 10:08 AM

Bonus item wink
I came across some more photos from in and around the city of Aberdeen. They are fairy random!
Some green spaces:

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/27/15 10:15 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/28/15 07:10 AM

Aberdeen is situated between two rivers: the river Dee to the south of the city and the river Don to the north of the city.
This creates problems as far as incoming and outgoing road traffic is concerned since the number of bridges is limited, traffic jams tend to form quickly.
Here are some photos of the river Dee:

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/28/15 07:17 AM

And down by the river Don...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/29/15 12:47 PM

At the eastern end of the beach (the harbour end) lies the fishing village of Footdee (known locally as Fittie). It originally dates back to the 14th Century but was redeveloped around 1800.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/29/15 12:51 PM

Footdee has some interesting outhouses...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/30/15 10:49 AM

At the opposite end of the beach to Footdee, lies another historic are of Aberdeen, The Brig O' Balgownie. The "Brig", or bridge, after which the area is named spans the river Don and dates from the 13th Century.

The Bridge of Don (not Balgownie)

The Brig O' Balgownie

Snack time!

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/31/15 11:23 AM

Aberdeen is very fortunate to have many good walking trails right on her doorstep. Just out side the city, walkers have access to hilly walks, forest walks, moorland walks and coastal walks.
Here are some samples...
Brimmond Hill

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 01/31/15 11:29 AM

Tollohill Woods looks over the city and has commanding views along the Deeside Valley...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/02/15 08:45 AM

There are some fantastic forest walks to the north west of Aberdeen. Kirkhill forest lies just off the A96 and has two or three graded walks.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/04/15 09:47 AM

On the opposite side of the A96 carriageway (just across the road from Kirkhill Forrest) lies the Tyrebagger Wood and sculpture trail. Some interesting (!) sculptures in this easy accessed woodland:

RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/06/15 10:04 AM

Heading south out of Aberdeen is the large suburb of Cove. At one time this was just a small fishing village and I have fond memories of childhood summer trips to the village. Scampering around on the rock, fishing and playing in the rock pools seems so far, far away now

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/07/15 11:22 AM

About 15 miles south of Aberdeen lies the town of Stonehaven. This was once a fishing village but now is a sizeable town within the commuter belt of Aberdeen. It lies on the main east coast railway line from the south.
Come with me as we travel down to see the harbour and a beautiful coastal walk to the famous Dunnottar Castle....

Stonehaven Harbour

Next up, the coastal walk to Dunnottar Castle...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/08/15 12:10 PM

From the harbour, there is an ascending path which gives magnificent views over the harbour and town of Stonehaven...

On the walk there is a war memorial..

The benches provide great viewpoints.
After the memorial, there is a coastal path leasing to the castle...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/09/15 09:28 AM

From the war memorial to Dunnottar Castle via the coastal path...

The castle is a ruin but nevertheless, the inside is interesting....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/10/15 10:03 AM

Let's take a look inside...

More details about the castle can be found here http://www.dunnottarcastle.co.uk/

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/11/15 10:15 AM

Here are some more photos taken inside the castle...

To be continued.....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/12/15 08:01 AM

It is a big castle and must have been a bust place back in its day. Let's continue the tour of the inside with some more photos...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/13/15 08:22 AM

Perched on a rock outcrop, almost impossible to attack from the sea and very difficult to access from the land, the castle commands fantastic views....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/13/15 08:28 AM

Hope you enjoyed seeing all these images of the walk to the the castle and the castle itself. Next, we'll travel north from Aberdeen to the the beaches and harbours of the Buchan Coast.
RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/14/15 12:10 PM

Before we do move north though, here are some more photos taken in Stonehaven...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/14/15 12:15 PM

On our way back to Aberdeen we can pause at Nigg bay and Greyhope bay on the south side side of the city...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/14/15 12:19 PM

On into Aberdeen and the city centre and merchant quarter....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/14/15 12:26 PM

We continue on to the University quarter at Old Aberdeen...

St Machar Catherdral in the distance...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/14/15 12:29 PM

Posted by: jacmom

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/15/15 03:16 PM

I've been enjoying your pictures of Scotland. It is truly a beautiful country.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/15/15 03:35 PM

Thanks jacmom. I still have lots more exploring to do here myself. I have sadly neglected it!
RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/16/15 01:16 PM

About 8 miles noth of Aberdeen along the A90 road, lies Balmedie Country Park. This country park is made up of a 14 mile stretch of sand dunes and beaches with stable grassland leading to them.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/17/15 09:54 AM

A further 8 miles north of Balmedie lies Forvie Nature reserve. Again, a mix of heath, grassland, sand dunes and beaches provides a varied habitats to support divers wildlife.

More to come from Forvie but if you do wish to find out more about it then please look here http://www.nnr-scotland.org.uk/forvie/

RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/18/15 01:48 PM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/19/15 09:17 AM

We have now left the A90 and are travelling along the A975 and have passed through the town of Newburgh, across the Ythan river to reach Forvie. Continuing along the A975, we take a little 1.5 mile detour along the B9003 to Collieston - a magnificent former fishing village.
The next couple of posts will focus on this lovely picturesque village.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/20/15 08:51 AM

Collieston has a lovely beach, a harbour and one shop selling ice cream, coffee and sweets/candies. Unfortunately, it is closed during the winter season. Surrounded by coastal walks and rocks and rock pools, it is an ideal place for a family with small children.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/21/15 08:11 AM

Continuing in Collieston....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/23/15 07:19 AM

Collieston really is a picturesque place but it is time to move on north. Before we do, here are some parting pics...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/23/15 07:26 AM

As we move north, we come to Old Slains and the ruins of the Original Slains Castle. To reach it, you new to follow a pretty rough track at a very slow speed...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/24/15 09:21 AM

More from Old Slains Castle...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/25/15 09:33 AM

We are currently following the Coastal Trail North from Aberdeen, along the A90 and the A975. Before resuming this trail, let's back-track a little bit. We'll head back to Collieston for some more pics....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/26/15 09:41 AM

Finally, we leave Collieston and rejoin the Coastal Trail North. It is a picturesque drive which proves fruitful if you can make the time to explore.
There are hidden lochs and estuaries which attract many bird watchers.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/26/15 09:52 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 02/27/15 07:43 AM

As we continue on the Coastal Trail North (we are now about 30 minutes drive time from Aberdeen) we come to the sleepy village of Cruden Bay, its harbour Port Errol and its magnificent beach.
This is a favourite spot of mine and I sometimes overnight there in the camper van. Please bear with me as this is a much-photographed spot of mine!

Here are a few more pics of Port Erroll harbour and Cruden Bay beach and village.

RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/02/15 08:32 AM

We will spend a little bit of time at Cruden Bay, its surroundings and its harbour, Port Erroll as it is a lovely spot.

Today is mostly about the beach...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/03/15 11:30 AM

It is a beautiful beach ...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/03/15 11:35 AM

.... and provides some great summer sunsets....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/04/15 09:03 AM

Port Erroll harbour is a popular overnight stopping place for in camper vans and motor homes (RVs).

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/04/15 09:13 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/05/15 07:56 AM

Here are some b/w pictures of the harbour, looking towards the parking area. You can almost imagine how it would have been many years ago....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/05/15 08:12 AM

Here is a view of the beach and harbour from one of the surrounding hills...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/06/15 08:34 AM

In the distance, the "Ladies Bridge" which connects the Harbour road with the beach. Without this bridge, the only other way to get to the beach is across the golf Course.
Work is currently under way to replace this wooden bridge with a more modern one.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/09/15 09:18 AM

There is a lot of history associated with Cruden Bay and Port Erroll. Some of this is to do with smuggling but most of it is to do with fishing and in particular salmon fishing.

Click on the image to read the writing....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/09/15 09:23 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/10/15 10:39 AM

This area is blessed with some very scenic cliff-top coastal walks. It is possible to walk from Forvie Nature Reserve to Collieston to Cruden Bay to Boddam to Peterhead. We will be visiting Boddam and Peterhead as we continue our travels.
In the meantime, here are some pics taken on coastal walks in the area.....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/10/15 10:44 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/10/15 11:31 AM

Here is a quick update for those who have been following my posts...

Cruden Bay/ Port Erroll
Work is in progress to repair the harbour wall and work has started to demolish the Ladies Bridge

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/11/15 07:32 AM

From the harbour, you can find some good coastal walking, both to the south, back to Collieston and to the North to the Bullers of Buchan and Boddam.

Leading to this...

Next, we will have a look at the walk to "this".....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/11/15 09:52 AM

The "this" is New Slains Castle, as opposed to Old Slains Castle which you will have seen in this post http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93849#Post93849

You can find a nice potted history of New Slains here... http://www.aboutaberdeen.com/slainscastle.php

From a car park just off the road to the harbour, there is a well-laid path that will lead you to New Slains Castle.

Coming next... a closer look at the castle.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/12/15 05:31 AM

From a distance, you can appreciate the overall beauty of the structure but up close, you get an even better idea of its size and former grandeur...
In 1895 the author Bram Stoker visited the area, staying at a cottage near Cruden Bay, and he may have been a guest at Slains. The castle is commonly cited as an inspiration for Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula.

Next, a room with a view....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/12/15 08:48 AM

The castle commands a formidable outlook, with outstanding views out to sea, along the coast (to the north and south) and over the rich farming land to the west.

Next, a short video showing the location of the castle in its surroundings...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/13/15 05:29 AM

As promised...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/16/15 09:22 AM

It is now time to leave this beautiful spot. I love going there in the camper van and parking up for a couple of days. It good to meet up with others with a similar interest and spend some time fishing, walking and kicking back with the setting sun.
Before we leave Cruden Bay, Port Erroll and their surroundings and rejoin the Coastal Trail North, here are one or two parting pics....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/16/15 09:34 AM

Our next stop is a brief one.
Situated between Cruden Bay and Peterhead, the Bullers of Buchan refers both to a collapsed sea cave and to the adjacent village.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/17/15 10:07 AM

As we wind our way north, the next stop on our journey is a Boddam, a fishing village just south of Peterhead. You should be able to locate this on the map (hint: click on the map to enlarge)....

The village serves is mainly a commuter settlement for Aberdeen and Peterhead although an and crab.

I often spend time there, as there are good opportunities for fishing, walking and a camp fire on the tiny beach in the harbour area.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/17/15 10:13 AM

The Buchanness lighthouse and promontory mark the most easterly part of Scotland

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/18/15 05:50 AM

The village of Boddam has a very gentle pace of life. Formerly home to RAF Buchan (from the 1950's to about 2005) the busiest place is the harbour. It still function with quite a few small boats based there mostly for crab and lobster.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/19/15 06:00 AM

From Boddam, you can walk along the coast going both north to Sandford Bay and on to Peterhead (see later) or south back to the Bullers of Buchan and then Cruden Bay.
I enjoy walking round the village the lighthouse and up to the castle, chilling out at the harbour with a camp fire on the beach and doing some fishing..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/19/15 09:52 AM

The village is reasonably large, with the oldest part being near the waterfront and harbour as you would expect. In a way, it is a quaint collection of cottages randomly built. In the newer parts of the village, the buildings are more uniform with a more structures layout.
Here is a flavour of the older parts of the village....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/19/15 09:53 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/20/15 09:35 AM

I often wild-camp at the harbour and enjoy the early morning sun and a hearty breakfast, followed by a morning walk. There are some of the views I can enjoy...

In the evening, a camp fire on the beach is a real treat...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/22/15 09:55 AM

One of the great things about the outdoor life is eating al fresco, whether it be a quick breakfast or a long slow BBQ. WHerer it is with friends or on your own, it is always that bit special, especially when the views are good.

Here are some wider shots of the harbour at Boddam:

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/23/15 09:50 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/26/15 03:57 AM

Walking around the village reveals its rich past and the commitment of its residents both to the local and national/international causes..

Not many people know that Boddam has a ruined castle, which we will take a walk to .....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/26/15 10:25 AM

Boddam Castle
"Boddam Castle was built in the late 16th century by the Ludquharn branch of the Keith family, whose other strongholds in the area are at Inverugie Castle and Ravenscraig Castle, west of Peterhead. Sir William Keith, Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania and Delaware, was born here in 1669"
(Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boddam,_Aberdeenshire)

As you can see, it is in an advanced state of ruin.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/27/15 08:49 AM

It is time to leave the fishing village and make our way to the town of Peterhead. Before doing so, here are one or two final shots taken at or near the harbour...

Join me in the next post as we follow the coastal walk from Boddam to Peterhead via Sandford Bay....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/27/15 09:06 AM

The coastal walk from Boddam to Peterhead is less dramatic then the coastal walks around some of our previous stops such as
Collieston ( http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93845#Post93845 ) and
Cruden Bay ( http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93854#Post93854 ).

The walk from Boddom harbour passes the seafood processing plant, the power station, Sandford House and Sandford Bay before joining the old coast road (South Road) into Peterhead and then along past the Marina and Lido to the town centre.

Pics to follow...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/28/15 08:43 AM

The coastal walk, Boddam to Peterhead...

A look back to Boddam

Resting points and small sandy beaches

Rocky shorelines

Well-defined paths

Walled gardens

Hints of better times at Sandford House

Sandford Bay

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/29/15 08:48 AM

On arriving a Peterhead, you need to move off the coast a little before rejoining the coastal walk near the Peterhead Marina and Lido....

The Marina

The Lido

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/29/15 08:52 AM

Peterhead is Aberdeenshire's biggest settlement and sits at the easternmost point in mainland Scotland. It is often referred to as The Blue Toon (Locally spelt as "The Bloo Toon") and people who were born there as Blue Tooners (Locally spelt as "Bloo Tooners"). More correctly they are called Bloomogganners, supposedly from the blue worsted stockings that the fishermen (and soccer team!) originally wore.
(Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterhead)

Next - a look around the town of Peterhead...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/30/15 09:05 AM

One of the striking features of any visit to Peterhead is the colour of the buildings built from local granite - they are a pinky-red colour.
Peterhead, one of the most important Aberdeenshire granites, was produced as two varieties, known as Red and Blue Peterhead, both exported throughout the UK and abroad during the 19th century. The red variety was better known and used for ornamental construction and monumental work e.g. London, Cambridge (St John's College Chapel pillars) and Liverpool (St George's Hall pillars). Blue Peterhead was used for decorative building and ornamental work, e.g. the base of fountains in Trafalgar Square and the Prince Albert Mausoleum.Peterhead granite is still quarried at Stirlinghill and Longhaven quarries, where it is mostly crushed for aggregate.
(Source: http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/rockofages/rockofages.htm)

Looking towards the town from the Lido

Part of the Bay of Refuge

Peterhead town

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/31/15 07:22 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 03/31/15 09:55 AM

Its fishing herany heritage is reflected in some of the street art and sculptures...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/01/15 09:13 AM

As with many other communities that have their roots in fishing, Peterhead has deep religious roots. Perhaps as a result of World War 1 and the 1921 collapse of the fishing industry, towns like Peterhead and Fraserburgh (together with some of the communities we have visited and have yet to visit) led the people to come to the Lord for consolation.
Witness to the this is the high number of church buildings within the town...

At one time, the town must have been a splendid place....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/02/15 05:23 AM

You can just imagine that there was a lot of wealth around in Peterhead when the finishing industry and merchant trading was in full swing. The grandeur of the town is reflected in some of its buildings (constructed in that distinctive reddish/pink granite) and wide streets. This would be in contract to the narrow streets and fishermens' cottages of some of the oldest parts of the town.
Sadly, the town centre is in a bit of a decline, with new suburbs springing up and folks shopping in the large out-of-town supermarkets.
Yes, Peterhead has seen better days but it does no harm to reflect on how it was...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/02/15 10:31 AM

Buchanhaven

Buchanhaven is a village within the town of Peterhead and it lies about one mile to the north of the town centre. Buchanhaven had its own harbour and slipway, heritage centre, primary school, annual fair and even its own soccer team.

There is also a spa and great sea views...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/03/15 04:41 AM

[/i]Peterhead was also known for its spas. It became a spa town towards the end of the 1700's. It was described by Robert Forsyth (a visitor to the town)in 1806 as follows:

[i] This is the most thriving and well built town on the coast of Buchan... it has, near its harbour, a mineral well... and is frequented in summer by not a little gay company, coming to enjoy the amusements of a rural town, thus thriving and elegant, as well as to repair health by sea bathing and by use of the mineral water. Here many elegant houses for the accommodation of strangers have been erected: there is also a ballroom under which there are two salt water baths.

(Source: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/peterhead/peterhead/)

One spa was located near Buchanhaven...

The houses near Buchanhaven command excellent views...

I enjoy my wee trips to Peterhead and the surrounding area; I guess it is because I have roots there...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/03/15 06:48 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/04/15 02:58 AM

As we travel north along the A90 towards Fraserburgh, we will make a couple of detours to visit the coastal villages of St. Combs, Inverallochy and Cairnbulg

All these villages have their roots in the fishing industry but now act as commuter villages for Fraserburgh. Many people have holiday homes in them.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/04/15 10:02 AM

Our journey on the Coastal TRail North has seen changing landscapes, especially on the coast:
- from Aberdeen to Forvie Nature Reserve near Newburgh, the coastline is mostly sandy beaches and sand dunes;
- from Forvie to Collieston and on to near Cruden Bay, it is rocky and rugged;
- from Cruden Bay (apart from the magnificent beach there) to Boddam and on to Peterhead, it is again rugged;
- after Peterhead on on to St. COmbs, it is once again sandy beaches.
You can see that in this satellite view:

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/04/15 10:26 AM

St. Combs has a lovely little beach and narrow streets ...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/05/15 04:39 AM

Further north, we come to two more traditional villages which run into one another, Cairnbulg and Inverallochy, where we can find Maggie's Hoosie (Maggies House) a traditional fisherman's cottage:

Fishing communities such as Inverallochy and Cairnbulg would have been heavily populated with fisher folk and their many boats. There would have been hundreds of boats in the harbour, actively being used around the coast. The fishermen, their wives and children would have lived in cottages like Maggie's. The local dialect is Doric and house is known locally as hoosie. The families would have lived and worked in the hoosie. Space would have been taken over by fishing equipment, nets, creels, baskets, etc as equally as normal living items.

Maggie's hoosie is a two bed roomed cottage - one room, which would have been used by the children, was also the kitchen and living area. There was a bed within a doored alcove which would be shut up during the day. The boys would probably have slept in the rafters on mattresses amongst the fishing gear. Maggie's parents would have slept in the But end of the hoosie, which also had a sectioned off bed. The beds mattresses were filled with chaff from the corn each year which the family would have got in exchange for fish. When Maggie's parents died Maggie moved into this end of the house and got the whole house to herself when all her brothers and sisters left home. Maggie remained unmarried and had no children. She was born in 1867 and died in 1950. She spent her life preparing and baiting fishing lines, curing, smoking, salting and drying the fish and selling the fish around the countryside. She would also barter fish for other goods and produce.

(source: http://www.aboutaberdeen.com/maggieshoosie.php)

We next come to the town of Fraserburgh...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/06/15 02:56 AM

As we reach Fraserburgh, we "turn the corner" and the Coastal Trail North becomes the Coastal Trail West. Although still in Aberdeenshire, we are also transitioning from the Buchan coast to the Banffshire coast.
Like Peterhead, Fraserburgh was a very successful fishing port. Founded in the early 1500's it rose to become the largest shellfish port in Europe in 2008 and was also a major white fish port. Like Peterhead, evidence of its heyday still exist but it too, sadly is in decline.
Here are some picture of the town...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/06/15 04:40 AM

Fraserburgh...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/06/15 11:47 AM

Diversion...
We will leave the Coastal Trail West just for the moment and take a little diversion. Today, I was invited to walk at the St Cyrus National Nature reserve which is on the Coastal Trail South, about 30 miles south of Aberdeen.
It was a lovely sunny morning in Aberdeen but alas it was foggy on the coast. Despite this, it was a lovely walk and there is merit in posting the photos today rather than in a few weeks time.

This is the visitor centre at the St. Cyrus National Nature reserve (see pictures of interior in a later post).

Bridge to the beach

Salmon Bothies

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/06/15 11:51 AM

You can can see the fog and mist clear in the pics. It a pity because there were some potentially pretty views.

The path let to the cliff top and the village of St Cyrus...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/06/15 11:55 AM

This led to a 13th Century Cemetery..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/06/15 11:56 AM

For details of the kirkyard see http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nescotland/graveyards/grstcynk.htm

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/06/15 12:00 PM

Inside the visitor centre...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/07/15 04:32 AM

Following our detour to St Cyrus, we now resume the Coastal Trail West, moving on from Fraserburgh. After Fraserburgh, the A90 becomes the A98, the main route west to Inverness.
We, however, will take the much smaller and narrower coastal route on the B9031. On this route, we will first encounter the village of Sandhaven...

I have only stopped briefly ion Sandhaven but with its beach and harbour, it is worth returning to some day.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/08/15 05:02 AM

As we continue our journey west along the coastal trail, we next arrive at the village of Rosehearty. It is possible that it was founded by Danish fishermen around 1300. It had a busy fishing harbour until the train line was built between Aberdeen and Fraserburgh. The boats moved from Rosehearty to Fraserburgh to take advantage of the new trasport links.
The harbour is still active today, but no longer busy.
This was a flying visit but I would like to go back and explore it a bit more.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/09/15 02:55 AM

We continue to head west from Rosehearty towards the large towns of Macduff and Banff. On this leg of our travels, we come across the communities of New Aberdour, Pennan (of the film Local Hero), Crovie and Gardenstown. Alas, we will not be stopping at these coastal villages but they are on my list of places to visit and photograph.

Instead we we visit the bonnie bays of New Aberdour and Cullyhan before take the High Shore and Low Shore roads into Macduff...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/09/15 05:02 AM

New Aberdour Bay

Accessible by a steep road, the bay is one or two miles from the village. Despite this, it has a wild or remote feel to it. Curiously, it has well defined parking spaces and a public toilet.

The roads around this area are narrow and winding but afford tremendous vies to the grassy cliffs and ocean.

New Aberdour Bay

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/09/15 05:08 AM

Just above the bay lies St Drostan's Kirkyard...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/09/15 05:16 AM

Next on out trail is the curiously named Cullykhan Bay. Cullykhan is a popular sandy bay to the west of Pennan. On a promontory above the bay lie the remains of the Bronze Age fort. There is a car park with footpaths to the beach and the fort. There is also holiday collages for let in the bay, together with a pottery.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/09/15 05:18 AM

There are always fine views to be had in this part of the country...

Next, we wind our way to the port of Macduff....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/11/15 10:17 AM

Before we visit Macduff, I did have a couple of days away in the camper van on Thursday and Friday. Because time was short, I just headed up to Cruden Bay, Boddam and Peterhead.

Boddam

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/11/15 10:23 AM

Peterhead

These images are of the ironmongery signs above alleyways (or closes as they are known in Scotland).

We will get back on the Coastal Trail West next...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/12/15 09:01 AM

As promised, out next stop will be Macduff. As you enter the town, it is worth a little detour down to the coat to see Low SHore and High Shore, a old part of Macduff with fishing cottages.

The Macduff Marine Aquarium is at the end of High Shore and is well worth a visit.

Next we will head a short distance west to Banff.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/13/15 04:55 AM

Banff is literally a stone's throw throw away from its smaller neighbouring town of Macduff. In comparison, Macduff is a larginer fishing port and had a larger more commercial harbour than Banff, although Banff is the bigger town.

Looking from Banff to Macduff

In town

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/13/15 09:55 AM

A few more photos taken in the town centre....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/14/15 03:53 AM

It is only a short walk from the town Banff town centre to the harbour and marina...

Banff comes with lovely north facing sea views...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/14/15 11:31 AM

I was visiting friends who are fortunate enough to have great views along the coast to both the east and west...

There is a path down to the shoreline of pretty fisherman's cottages and a walkway along to the village of Whitehills...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/15/15 04:38 AM

The shoreline walk from the town of Banff to the village of Whitehills starts at the Banff Marina, passes the beach-side fishermans cottages and Banff beach and links before arriving at Whitehills.

Our starting point is the car park near the marina...

News Year's Day walk from Banff to Whitehills...

Looking back to Banff

Banff beach

Can you see it?

Whithills marina

Recently, I took a little time to better explore Whitehills...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/15/15 09:16 AM

As we approach Whitehills Marina,we pass...

Ample parking spaces

The Red Well (said to date from Roman times)

Lots of places to rest and reflect

The old harbour

Recreation areas

Then the Marina

And a nice spot to park....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/16/15 04:14 AM

Having found a good spot to park up, its time to climb a nearby hil to survey the scene...

Next, we'll take a wee walk through the village...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/17/15 02:41 AM

Down by the shore, the cottages are, as one would expect, side on to the sea and close together for protection from the winds and rain, Flooding from the sea is not unknown...

Finally, Whitehills Marina....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/18/15 02:33 AM

The marina and harbour area is a delightful spot for a bit of fishing of dining in the nearby restaurant...

Just to the west of the village there is a very pleasant coastal walk...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/18/15 01:11 PM

I didn't have much time to explore this walk but have parked up in a spot with enough space for three cars, you can wander off sown to the shoreline and head off west...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/19/15 03:39 AM

Diversion/detour
I had a few days away in the van at the end of the week - just a short trip to Cruden Bay and Peterhead to meet up with friends, do some fishing and a spot of wild camping in the vans. The weather was fantastic...

Cruden Bay

The Lido, Peterhead

Now let's resume the Coastal Trail West...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/19/15 11:42 AM

Lol! you really seems to get a kick of your camping car robbieroy!!
you might do a pictorial of Scotland book ::)

Enjoy the ride

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/20/15 02:54 AM

Cheers pedmar - its a great way to see the country - no cost for hotel rooms or B & B. The flexibility is great, if you arrive at a place and you like it then you can stay, if not then you can move on. I am really enjoying exploring this area of Scotland where I grew up.

The camper van is great for one day here or one day there too, or for longer trips. Two years ago, eight of us went in four campers van for a three week trip to Holland, Belgium and France. I'll maybe get round to posting the pictures some time!

RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/20/15 04:19 AM

As we return to the Coastal Trail West, we are now moving from Aberdeenshire to Morayshire. The coastline from Fraserburgh to just beyond Nairn is North facing - it seems to have its own micro climate!

Here is a preview of what we'll see as we move west...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/20/15 04:21 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/20/15 08:41 AM

Our itinerary for this leg of our travels includes:

Portsoy
Cullen
Portknockie
Buckie
Portgordon and
Spey Bay

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/21/15 04:23 AM

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/22/15 04:56 AM

On Hogmanay (New Year's Eve) 2014 we took a short trip to Portsoy from Banff. In fact we did this trip twice... once in the afternoon to visit the harbour and once at night to welcome in the 2015 with the firework display that the community of Portsoy put on.

We went there for the bells...

and the fireworks...

We also went to Cullen ...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/23/15 03:44 AM

If you are ever in the area, then Cullen is a town that you must visit.
Cullen is a village and former royal burgh in Moray, Scotland, on the North Sea coast 20 miles (32 km) east of Elgin - it is the home of the famours Cullen Skink!

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/24/15 02:21 AM

As well as enjoying a walk down to the harbour, the beach and the Seatown area, the town itself has lots of interesting sites and shops to browse...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/26/15 03:12 AM

The sun now sets on the Cullen photos

as we wind our way west to our next destination.....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/27/15 04:22 AM

As we continue west, we come to the village of Sandend. From Sandend, there is a narrow road which we will follow to the ruins of Findlater Castle and then to the bonnie beach of Sunnyside...

the ruins of Findlater Castle

Coves and bays

Sunnyside Beach

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/28/15 04:23 AM

Moving west, we come to the village of Portknockie..

Portknockie is a cliff-top village overlooking the Moray Firth in NE Scotland, midway between Aberdeen and Inverness. Fantastic coastal views and home of the Bow Fiddle Rock

Bow Fiddle Rock

There is more to the village than the photos show and it would merit further exploration, especially down by the old harbour.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/29/15 05:01 AM

Moving west, we find ourselves in another port - Portgordon. A sleepy little village just west of the town of Buckie. It has a nice little harbour, a pub and a seal colony.
Portgordon is on the Moray Firth in Banffshire

Harbour car park

Harbour and village

On this occasion, we wild camped in the car park at the harbour, arriving in the evening and staying just one night. In the next series of photos we were wild camping for three days on the outskirts of Portgordon....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 04/30/15 04:27 AM

During the Easter weekend of 2014 a few of us went wild camping in our campers to Portgordon. We chose a spot where we would not inconvenience anyone and have some peace and quiet.
We chose the seal colony observation spot just to the east of Portgordon where there was plenty room for us to park up, leave plenty room for others to come and park and view the seal colony.
We had great views..

Did you spot any of the seals in the pics above?

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/01/15 04:25 AM

This was a great spot to park up, it was right by the old Gollachy ice house. Lots of space there and it is a popular parking space for dog-walkers and seal watchers. The weather was tremendous but merited a night time camp fire.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/02/15 04:08 AM

Before we leave Portgordon for our final destination on the Coastal Trail West, here are one or two more photos taken in and around the village...

A sunny Saturday proved a perfect time for a picnic lunch..

then later, watch the sun go down..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/03/15 03:51 AM

Our fianl destination on the Coastal Trail West is Spey Bay. A community that has its roots in salmon fishing, Spey Bay is home to the Moray Firth Wildlife Centre and the Scottish Dolphin Centre http://www.wdcs.org/connect/wildlife_centre/index.php

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/04/15 04:24 AM

Apart from the Dolphin ans wildlife centre and the golf course, there is not much else in Spey Bay worth noting. However it really is a nice place to visit. There is always a good chance of spotting dolphins there.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/04/15 09:56 AM

It is now time to leave the Coastal Trail West. Join me as I head south-east into the fringes of the Cairgorm's National Park to visit the village of Tarland.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/05/15 04:05 AM

Tarland is probably best described as a commuter town/village for the larger conurbations of Aboyne, Alford, Banchory and Aberdeen.
It is a sleepy village with a pretty town centre..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/06/15 04:29 AM

Tarland is located in what is known as Royal Deeside. It is on the way to Balmoral Castle which is a residence of the Queen.
Royal Deeside has wonderful scenery and wildlife. Lets have a walk around the outskirts of Tarland to sample some of this as we make our way to the Tomnaverie Stone Circle.

On the way to Tarland from Aberdeen, there are some outstanding vies, one of which is called the Queen's View.

Around Tarland

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/07/15 04:23 AM

These photographs of the Tarland trip were taken during September hence the autumn/fall colours that are evident.

Next, we'll walk to the Tomnaverie Stone Circle...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/08/15 04:14 AM

The Tomnaverie Stone Circle is an example of recumbent stone circle http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/tarland/tomnaveriecircle/index.html
and is situated about 1 mile from Tarland town. There are various walking routes to it, all with magnificent views.

Finally, we arrive at the stone circle...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/09/15 04:16 AM

Tomnaverie Stone Circle

More photos of the stone circle to come....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/11/15 04:34 AM

The location of the stone circle commands fabulous views...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/11/15 04:43 AM

The main reason for visiting Tarland was to meet up with other camper van folks...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/12/15 02:35 AM

In the very distance, the mountain of Lochnagar can be seen.
Our road trip continues as we move further west from Tarland to Lochnagar and in particular Loch Muick.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/12/15 04:34 AM

Loch Muick is at the foot of Lochnagar and is a freshwater loch. It is approximately 5 miles from Braemar and lies on the Queen's Balmoral Estate.

We will be walking from the car park to the loch and walking round it in a counter-clockwise direction. It is always a pleasure to go walking with friends....

We still have a little way to walk to the water!...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/13/15 04:36 AM

We'll continue to wind our way to the water...

Almost there...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/14/15 04:42 AM

Let's continue our walk to the north side of the loch...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/15/15 02:57 AM

Finally, we have reached the water and can start the circumnavigation. It is a well trodden route, with a path all the way round and easy walking for the most part....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/17/15 04:45 AM

We continue to wind our way around the water...

It's a beautiful walk, wouldn't you agree?

We are heading to the half-way point and lunch!.....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/18/15 04:19 AM

We are just about halfway round the loch and it's time for a break...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/19/15 04:35 AM

We have reached the half-way point in our walk round the water. All that remains now is to enjoy the stunning scenery as we wind our way back to the car park...

Almost there!.....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/20/15 04:28 AM

Loch Muick is tucked in the shadow of Lochnagar and for those with more time, it would be possible to walk to its summit. There is a variety of paths for this.
In the meantime, we are on our last leg of the lap round the loch...

It was a warm day...

a final look back to the loch...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/21/15 03:57 AM

The next leg of our journey takes south east to the town of Banchory where we will walk up Scolty Hill to Scolty View...

Banchory...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/22/15 02:44 AM

Here is some information about Scolty Hill and Scolty Tower near Banchory...
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/aberdeenshire/scolty-hill.shtml

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/22/15 04:19 AM

It was a damp and dreary day as we set off to climb Scoltie. However, the Scotch Mist did not put us off....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/23/15 04:24 AM

Nearly there...

There...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/23/15 01:44 PM

Next, we'll make our way to Crathes Castle....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/24/15 11:40 AM

We are now on our way to Crathes Castle.

Where we will see the castle and its grounds.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/25/15 04:33 AM

We'll be visiting the castle with two Spanish friends from Zaragoza... Ana and Pilar.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/26/15 02:02 AM

The gardens and grounds provide beautiful surroundings for a day out....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/27/15 03:23 AM

The grounds and gardens are are real delight to look at and a pleasure to walk through...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/28/15 10:33 AM

Continuing our walk through the gardens and grounds....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/29/15 04:13 AM

It is time to move on again. Here are the final images of Crathes Castle...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/31/15 02:51 AM

Our next short journey in Royal Deeside will take us to the Loch of Skene...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 05/31/15 10:54 AM

Loch of Skene...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/01/15 04:01 AM

Our journey around the North East of Scotland now sees us travel from the Lock of Skene to Bennachie, a range of hills to the North West of Aberdeen..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/01/15 04:07 AM

The reason for this outing was a church walk. Bennachie is a popular place, meriting it's own visitor centre.
http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/visit/bennachie-centre

Posted by: eskimo joe

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/01/15 09:47 PM

Great photos Robbieroy, I do a lot of cycling round the Banchory, Crathes, Loch Skene area

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/02/15 02:39 AM

The whole of Deeside is a beautiful, eskimo joe and I would like to do a bit more exploring there. I can understand why you enjoy the cycling there.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/02/15 04:31 AM

The climb to the summit begins.....

The views begin to become interesting and it is worth pausing to appreciate them..

Posted by: eskimo joe

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/02/15 10:42 PM

Yep, I know im lucky to have great roads on my doorstep, pity you didn't get as much respect from drivers as you do in Spain.
Have you been to Burn O vat Really nice and theres a nice walk around the Loch as well.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/03/15 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: eskimo joe
Yep, I know im lucky to have great roads on my doorstep, pity you didn't get as much respect from drivers as you do in Spain.
Have you been to Burn O vat Really nice and theres a nice walk around the Loch as well.

Burn O'Vat - now there is a blast from the past. I've not been there for a very, very long time, probably not since my twenties. It might well be time to revisit it again so thanks for the reminder! Might well be worth taking the camper van out that way for a couple of days.
Any idea if you can overnight in the car park there?
RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/03/15 03:47 AM

Continuing the climb at Bennachie, we will soon arrive at it's rocky granite summit, the Mither Tap.

Still more shots from the summit to come.....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/04/15 04:46 AM

Here we are at the summit of Bennachie (the Mither Tap)....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/05/15 09:55 AM

More from the Mither Tap...

Now the descent....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/05/15 02:02 PM

Now we head back on to the....

Our destination will take us back to Banffshire and to New Aberdour beach for a spot of wild camping in the camper van...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/06/15 03:26 PM

New Aberdour is a small village near the Banffshire coast. The village itself is not actually on the coast but there is a road that leads to Aberdour Beach.

First stop, the village...

Before heading to the beach lets visit Pennan. I think I mentioned in a previous post that it was a village I had yet to visit - that has been rectified.

It is a delightful place....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/07/15 02:46 AM

Never having been to Pennan I was curious about it and its phone box!
Let's walk down the steep hill to the village that is nestled at the bottom of the cliffs....

Leaving the van at the top, lets follow the road down.

And here it is...

But why is it famous?

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/08/15 01:36 AM

The village hugs the cliffs and is only a couple of houses deep. It has a lovely harbour...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/09/15 01:52 AM

A last look at Pennan....

A bit of colour against the grey North Sea...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/10/15 02:43 AM

It is only a short drive from Pennan to our planned destination... New Aberdour and the car park at the beach.

This is where we are heading...

To meet up with friends...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/11/15 02:46 AM

To the east of the beach there is a white-walled drinking fountain, St Drostan's well.

At low tide you can go waling to explore some of the caves and coves...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/11/15 02:57 AM

The caves and coves are only accessible at low tide....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/12/15 02:40 AM

These caves and coves are inaccessible at high tide and apparently in days gone by, they were overlooked by beach huts and were used by small fishing boats. Some of the boat winches can still be seen.

After exploring, a little r and r is called for....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/13/15 03:08 AM

Walking on the west side of the beach, we find a memorial to Jane Whyte who, in 1886, helped rescue the crew of the steamship William Hope which ran aground and was wrecked here.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/14/15 03:11 AM

As the sun goes down on this mini-trip, it is time to head back home for a short time before returning to the road again.

Around Aberdeen.....
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/14/15 03:26 PM

WOW!! What AWESOME photos, robbieroy! Thanks for sharing!!

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/15/15 02:55 AM

Before posting more pics of another road trip, here is a series of random ones from around my home town in the North East of Scotland...

This first set was taken during the visit of an old friend and former tennis coach Floreal Manrique Sancho

Marischal College

Provost Skene's House

River Dee and Duthie Park

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/16/15 02:41 AM

The Winter Gardens, Duthie Park

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/17/15 03:04 AM

Back to Tarland!
I came across some archived pics taken at Tarland and thought it might be worth sharing the scenery. We were there for a few days a couple of years ago for a camper van meet uo....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/18/15 02:54 AM

What do we get up to at these camper van meets?

Well we...

Fix problems...

Eat together...

and chill out and chat

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/19/15 02:57 AM

Back in Aberdeen....

Autumn is always awesome with the assorted colours...

But the weather can change quickly...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/19/15 08:42 AM

too bad you dont get these photos and writings into a blog more visibility , I started a few years back and it has been great.
Cheers

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/19/15 09:02 AM

Thanks pedmar
RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/19/15 09:11 AM

Aberdeen has lots to towers, steeples and spires.

St Nicholas Church

The Town House

Marischal College (Aberdeen University)

Former Church of Scotland Training College

A view from Macrobert Building, King's College

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/20/15 03:27 AM

As you will no doubt have heard, Scotland is not famous for its fine weather! In fact, the weather is very variable and we often experience all four seasons in one day!...

From a bright sunny December day...

To a snowy scene...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/21/15 04:22 AM

The blue sky, the bare branches on the trees and beautiful setting sun all contribute to the autumn/winter wonderland. It is a pleasure and a blessing to be outdoors ....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/21/15 11:06 AM

When it is cold out and about, it is comforting to be enjoying hospitality with friends, especially around Christmas....

Mince pies at MacRobert Building

Congregational lunch

Lunch....

Christmas with the Smiths...

Cosy in the camper...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/22/15 02:38 AM

The beach and harbour areas of the city are always worth visiting, even if you have been there many times before. The are well worth seeing if you are visiting Aberdeen for the first time.
It can be quite a contrast....

From this....

To this...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/23/15 04:38 AM

The grey granite, once cleaned will sparkle brilliantly in the sunshine (we don't see the sun too much in Aberdeen however!). This is quite evident in one area of town that has be undergoing some refurbishment... the Merchant Quarter. In interesting addition to this quarter is the small plaques with verses...

Some images of the Merchant Quarter...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/24/15 02:35 AM

Adjacent to the Merchant Quarter in the Castlegate with its Market Cross. A small outdoor market is held here on Fridays and Saturdays...

There used to be a fort here to guard entry to the town and you can find that it has commanding views over the harbour to the south...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/24/15 10:11 AM

It is good to get out of town to visit folks or even just to do some walking. The weather can change suddenly though...

On a fine day...

You get a warning of impending bad weather...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/25/15 03:07 AM

Despite the variable and quickly changing weather, it is a joy to be out and about on a crisp, bright autumn day which highlights the changing colours of countryside. As I post these pics, I have to admit that I am a bit envious of the weather in them as we have had a miserable spring/start to summer this year - it has been so cold and wet! :-(

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/26/15 03:14 AM

Here are some random photos taken around town...

Near the theatre...

Union Terrace Gardens

King's College

Dusk at Fittie

Becycle Workshop

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/27/15 02:57 AM

King's College Campus (University of Aberdeen) in Old Aberdeen is particularly picturesque in the autumn...

It is always a pleasure to go down there, have a seat and survey the scene...

:-)

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/28/15 03:13 AM

I had a couple of days away in the camper recently. I went up to a couple of my favourite locations for a spot of fishing.

First stop on the way was Newburgh...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/28/15 11:31 AM

The purpose of the trip was to do some fishing so spots like Cruden Bay and Peterhead were nearby candidates for stopping and overnighting...

Cruden Bay...

Peterhead...

Boddam...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/29/15 02:29 AM

Next, we will head to the West coast of Scotland for some pics from a trip that I did in the car from Ullapool to Kinlochbervie and Kinlochbervie to Inverness.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/29/15 03:44 AM

Our starting point for this journey is Ullapool, a fishing town on the west coast of Scotland. From Ullapool, you can catch a ferry to Stornaway on the isle of Lewis.

As we leave Ullapool, the weather and scencery quickly change.....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 06/30/15 03:05 AM

As we move out from Ullapool, the scenery quickly changes but words won't do justice to the photos so....

Looking back to Loch Broom..

The photos above approximately cover the stretch from Ullapool to Ardmair

As we continue north, we will come across lots of small lochs and rugged rocks...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/01/15 02:35 AM

The road from Ardmair to Kinlochbervie moves away from the coast, but is no less spectacular i the scenery that is provides....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/02/15 02:54 AM

The scenery changes slightly as we approach Scourie and Kinclochbervie...

It becomes greener

You can just make out Kinlochbervie at the end of the sea loch

Here it is...

We will see more of the town as we do a little tour...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/03/15 01:46 AM

Kinlochbervie....

Kinlochbervie grew out of the fishing industry on the west coast of Scotland. As well as having its own small fleet many boats from other ports would land their catches there. As with many other harbour towns, its best days with regard to fishing are now in the past.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/04/15 03:13 AM

Kinlochbervie is a "spread-out" town, with little that could be described as a town centre. In days gone by, the harbour would have been the main focus.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/05/15 03:12 AM

Here is the final selection of images from the town of Kinlochbervie. The big building you have seen in some of the pictures above is that of the High School which I was visiting.

Whilst there, I stayed in the Kinlochbervie Hotel http://www.kinlochberviehotel.com/

Next, the inland road home via Lairg. Amazing...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/05/15 09:32 AM

Here is the first leg of the journey home to Aberdeen. It takes the inland road to Lairg and then on to inverness:

The road takes us along the A838, past Loch Inchard and Loch na Thull to Lazford Bridge then on past Loch Stack, Allt Ceann Locha, Loch Shin to Lairg, then Bonar Bridgeabd Inverness.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/06/15 02:39 AM

Heading home on the high road...

Then you see this by the side of the road...

,,, and then you see this - on the road....

The scenery is stunning and the light moody...

At every bend in the road you feel that you need to stop and snap a shot of the view.....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/07/15 03:02 AM

We are continuing on the Lairg road on our way from Kinlochbervie to Inverness...

Essentially it is a single track road

Passing places allow an opportunity to pause for pics..

The scenery constantly changes...

The light is incredible at times...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/08/15 02:58 AM

We are now on the final leg of this mini road trip, as we approach Inverness...

The scenery is still awesome...

Signs of civilisation...

A final look back to what we have left behind...

I am sure that if you were to visit this area of Scotland, the sights and sounds would remain with you.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/09/15 02:39 AM

Part of my home town's heritage is that it has some great green spaces that the public can enjoy when the weather allows.
Many, but not all of these green spaces are in the form of public parks, some of which you may have seen in my previous posts.
Here is a series of posts showing some of these spaces that the public can enjoy...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/09/15 02:48 AM

Westburn Park
This is one of Aberdeen's biggest parks at around 10 hectares in size. It was originally created in 1901...

Outdoor hard courts for tennis

Indoor tennis centre

Grass courts

Football

Grass bowls

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/10/15 03:01 AM

The pavilion in the park...
Built in 1984 for the World Bowling Championships, this pavilion featured a bar and restaurant, function room, reception and changing rooms. It was a good going concern for many years but it is now less well used and lack the previous provision for catering and socialising for those using the park.

The Gilcomston Burn

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/12/15 02:39 AM

Let's visit another green space, Seaton Park...

The Wallace Tower which used to be in the town centre...

The Cathedral

A well-known view..

A secret that I've only just uncovered...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/13/15 09:44 AM

I have visited this public park many many times and even at school, our games afternoons were held here. I thought that I was quite familiar with it. It is little wonder then that I was amazed by what I came across as I cycled round....

I followed that wall...

And saw a door...

I went through the door and came across a secret garden!...

There was yet another door...

which led to another part of the garden...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/14/15 02:15 AM

It was amazing to find this walled garden and I am sure I will visit it again. Let's have a final look around Seaton Park which, incidentally, is down near Old Aberdeen and the University.

Well manicured flower beds...

Fountains...

Lots of green spaces to enjoy...

And a river...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/15/15 02:52 AM

the river Don flows through the park. We have already walked along part of its banks. it flows on to the Brig O' Balgownie then the sea.

We now move just a short distance to the Cruikahank Botanic Gardens maintained by the University...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/16/15 09:30 AM

About the garden...

"The Cruickshank Botanic Garden is situated in Old Aberdeen on the King's College campus of the University of Aberdeen and is a partnership between the University and the Cruickshank Charitable Trust
The Garden exists to promote an appreciation of the beauty, diversity and importance of plants, and an understanding of their role in the natural world
This beautiful and peaceful 11 acre Garden offers year round interest to visitors. It has shrub borders, a rock and water garden, sunken garden, rose garden, herbaceous border and an arboretum, and houses a nationally important collection of over 2500 labelled plants."

(Source: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/botanic-garden/)

My overview of the garden is that it has three main sections: a well-maintained and manicured area; a semi-mantained area and a wild area. That's what it feels like.
Let's begin a mini tours with the well-maintained and manicured area...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/17/15 02:09 AM

Let's continue our walk through the gardens...

Moving to a wilder garden...

and yet wilder...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/18/15 08:41 AM

And finally...

Wilder still

Wider still (a couple of panoramas!)

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/19/15 03:52 AM

Our next wee trip in Aberdeen is by bicycle to the Duthie Park via a lovely areas of Holburn and Ferryhill which boast magnificent granite buildings and green spaces.

Join me as we explore this area...
I give the street names/areas which might be useful if you wish to explore them more using online maps and street views

Albert Terrace

Prince Arthur Street

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/20/15 02:48 AM

I'm surprised that they do not call this area the "Royal Quarter"! the street names have a monarchic theme... Albert Terrace, Albert Place, Prince Arthur Street and Queen's Road and Queen's Terrace are just around the corner.

Queen's Terrace Gardens

As we move on we come to the Bon Accord quarter...

Bon Accord Terrace

Bon Accord Terrace Gardens

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/21/15 02:27 AM

As we move south towards the river Dee and the Duthie Park, we pass through the Ferryhill/Albury area of the city. This area too is distinctively populated with granite houses and green spaces. Close to the centre of town, it is a highly desirable residential area.

Some interesting historical information can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferryhill,_Aberdeen

Granite houses

Green spaces (Albury Gardens and Sports Centre)

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/22/15 02:23 AM

The Duthie Park is a large park on the south side of Aberdeen.
Initiated in 1881 when the 44 acre piece of land was given to the council by Lady Elizabeth Duthie of Ruthrieston, in memory of her uncle and of her brother.

One of two obelisks in Aberdeen

Water features

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/23/15 02:28 AM

Let's have a walk round the park to get a better ideal of what it offers:

One of the gated entrances

The winter gardens and cafe/restaurant

Bandstand and obelisk

Wide open spaces

Information on the water features in the previous post

I remember when this area had a law bowling green and red clay tennis courts. The pavilion is still there

Monuments, fountains and more...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/23/15 09:51 AM

One of the fountains...

Great view from up here...

It is higher than you think...

Another fountain...

It has great symmetry...

History...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/24/15 02:03 AM

The park had fallen into disrepair but underwent recent refurbishment. If you are in town, then it is well worth a visit...
The Obelisk

Manicured flower beds

Lets make the cycle trip back home but this time, going through the some of the upmarket areas of town between King's Gate and Queen's Road (just to maintain the royal theme!)...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/24/15 06:52 AM

The area we are to pass through is commonly known as the "West End". Within in there is an ornamental garden called Johnston Gardens, which we shall visit in a later post.

In memory of the Gordon Highlanders..

Fine house in what is affectionately known as "Millionaires' Row" ...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/25/15 02:23 AM

This is an affluent area of Aberdeen. Long established, it would have been the chosen residential area for the rich and, it still is today.

Luxury flats in converted churches

Wide, tree-lined avenues of granite residences

Before leaving this area, we will tour the ornamental Johnstone Gardens...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/25/15 08:54 AM

The ornamental Johnston Gardens are very well maintained. Located in the West end of Aberdeen, they are one hectare in size and feature ponds,bridges, waterfalls, streams and rockeries. These public gardens are maintained by Aberdeen City Council and have won Britain in Bloom many times. Situated in a residential area, it is a very peaceful place to visit.

Entrance

Tree-lined pathways

Manicured gardens

Resting places

Verdant

and colourful

Bridges, ponds and streams...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/26/15 02:45 AM

There are no green open spaces here - they are purely ornamental gardens. this is a great place to wander slowly appreciating the sights, sounds and colours or just sit contemplatively on one of the many benched. It is a fantastic place for some "time out".

Bridges and streams

Ponds

Greenery

Shelter for that rainy day..

All in all, a great place to visit.

Now, a sad tale of neglect...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/27/15 02:45 AM

The Duthie Park and Johnston Gardens are amongst the best that Aberdeen has to offer. Both are well-maintained by the city council and the Duthie Park has been recently restored and refurbished.

By sharp contrast, we will visit the Stewart Park. Once a thriving public space, it has fallen into disrepair, but still has great potential...

"The Whalebones" - make a wish

Tree lined paths

Wide open spaces

The Pavilion - this used to house changing rooms and club facilities for cricket teams playing their league matches on the cricket square. The cricket square no longer exists and the pavilion is closed to the public.

The view from the pavilion

The worst part is the demise of the sports centre...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/28/15 02:51 AM

I spent a lot of time playing in this park when I was a child because my grandparents lived nearby. Myself and childhood pals would use the sports facilities which comprised tennis courts, putting green and lawn bowls.
Unfortunately the sports centre has fallen into disrepair and lies ruined...

Part of the putting green

What remains of the tennis courts

The football pitch

The flower beds and fountains remain neglected too...

The cycle track

This is old, the inscription is not legible

Despite all this, it remains a precious green space....

It is time to move out of town, so would you join me on a road trip? We will be travelling down to the Lake District in Cumbria....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/28/15 09:12 AM

The road trip will eventually lead to a farmer's field in Keswick which will be home for the week. The first leg however will be from Aberdeen to Moffat in the Borders (the area of Scotland nearest to England).

Following that we will head to Keswick with a bit of a detour to Crossfells, and Penrith.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/29/15 02:57 AM

Moffat is a bonnie borders town which is popular with tourists. As a result, there are lots of places to stay, eat and drink. It is a small town with a compact town centre with many green spaces.

Our next stop is Penrith...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/30/15 08:08 AM

I have visited Penrith a few times now on trips to the Lake District and I enjoy my brief time in that town:- it is compact with lots of small and interesting shops with many charity shop to visit.
it is a busy town with narrow streets in the town centre. The traffic can build up quickly.

Let's have a look round Penrith ....

I met up with a friend and fellow camper-van enthusiast who lives in Cumbria and we camped at Crossfells...

We took a trip to Conniston....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 07/31/15 10:27 AM

The trip from near Penrith to Coniston is an epic journey through the land of lakes and peaks. Well worth undertaking if you are in that area of the UK.

Arriving in Ambleside...

Then Coniston...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/01/15 02:57 AM

Coniston is probably best known for Donald Campbell's fatal attempt on the World Water Speed Record in the year 1966 nin Bluebird.
The Ruskin museum hold a wealth of information about this and other historical riches of Coniston,

Some great backdrops

Coniston Water

Down by the river

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/02/15 03:01 AM

The return trip will be via Ambleside and the Kirkstone Pass to Ullswater. In places the gradient of the Pass is 1 in 4 and it climbs to a height of 1,489 feet.

At the summit is the Kirkstone Pass Inn (http://www.kirkstonepassinn.com/)

Spectacular views on the descent...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/02/15 12:45 PM

Here we go with the descent into Ullswater and then on to Keswick...

The photos don't do the actual scenery justice.

Ullswater

My home in Keswick for a week...

The church is Crosthwaite Parish Church....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/03/15 02:41 AM

There has been a church on the site since the 6th century. The present one is around 500 years old.

The grave and memorial to the poet Robert Southey

The sundial dates to 1602

A walk into Keswick town...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/03/15 08:33 AM

We are walking from Crosthwaite along High Hill to the town centre...

The old parish church

It's market day!

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/04/15 04:17 AM

Why a giraffe in the town centre...?

I have no idea!

Another view of the twice-weekly market

Colourful Keswick

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/05/15 02:39 AM

Here is the view from the camper van on the temporary camp site on the farmers field.

Back in town...

This would have been a welcome stopping place for walkers and travellers...

Views from just off the main road...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/06/15 03:05 AM

Keswick has lots of green spaces around the town, especiall down by the lake.

Fitz Park - Tennis and bowling

Mind you head!...

A riverside walk...

How did he get up there?

A trip to Bowness near Windemere...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/07/15 02:56 AM

A road trip
Bowness is a touristy town on Lake Windemere...

On the road

Bowness..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/07/15 08:55 AM

The large car parks for the lake a some distance away so there is additional transport to the town and lake front...

Unusual entrance to the graveyard...

Lake Windemere...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/08/15 01:45 AM

Following a walk round, lunch and a round of pitch and putt, it was time to head home to Keswick....

I wonder...

Four!

Heading home...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/08/15 01:49 AM

The sun goes down on another annual trip to Keswick and the Lake District. Until next year...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/08/15 10:05 AM

The annual trip to Keswick is to attend the Keswick Convention, a three week Christian event which has been held annually in Keswick for 140 years.

We has a satessite event here in the North East of Scotland at Buckie on the Moray coast. It is called Keswick in Buckie and has been held annually for 30 years.

This will be my first trip there so please join me as we head off in the van to Keswick in Buckie....

RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/08/15 11:52 AM

Here is the route...

But we'll head to Cruden Bay and Boddam for a couple of days fishing first.

In addition I would like to visit the fishing villages of Portknockie and Findochty before spending the week in Buckie...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/09/15 03:34 AM

The trip to Buckie begins with a two day visit to the Buchan coast for an anticipated spot of fishing and the opportunity to say hello to some folks that I've not seen for some time....

Boddam

The wind won the day as far as the fishing was concerned... I nearly caught myself!

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/10/15 02:23 AM

Cruden Bay was looking great in the sunshine but the wind prevented any attempts at fishing.

An evening walk saw calmer conditions in the setting sun...

The Peterhead Power Station just outside Boddam...

A sad looking Sandford Lodge...

Now let's head for the Moray coast and the fishing village of Portknockie...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/11/15 02:35 AM

The name Portknockie may be familiar to some readers - we have visited the Bowfiddle Rock which is in that area. See http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93982#Post93982

This time, we'll see the harbour and the village...

The harbour

The village and a developing pattern of decoration....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/12/15 02:40 AM

Let's take a tour of the village. As we do, notice the doors and the windows of the houses....

The brightly coloured paintwork around the doors and windows is a distinguishing feathure that we are to see repeated....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/12/15 10:43 AM

Sad news about Sandford Lodge, Boddam (mentioned above)

Standford Lodge was left gutted by fire in the early hours of Monday, 10th August.

The 18th century building was considered as a possible location as a visitor centre to showcase pioneering CCS to visiting academics, engineers and tourists.

However, the fire has left these plans hanging in the balance.

Oil giants Shell, who earlier in the year successfully applied for planning permission for a Carbon Capture and Storage Power Station in Peterhead, have expressed doubts after the incident.

A spokesperson said, “ The fire authorities will conduct an investigation into the cause of the fire and we’ll assess whatever needs to be assessed after that.”

Plans for the power station are said to not be affected.

An investigation into the cause is currently underway and Police Scotland could not confirm whether or not the fire was suspicious.

A call was received at 2.30am and four pumps, two from Peterhead and two from Ellon, were dispatched.

Crews arrived to find the ground floor well alight and firefighters in breathing apparatus used a reel hose to tackle the flames.

A height vehicle was also used as a water tower.

The blaze was under control by 7.15am, but crews were still at the scene until 9.30am that morning.

Source: http://www.buchanobserver.co.uk/news/bod...cheme-1-3856509

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/13/15 02:34 AM

It is just about time to bid farewell to Portknockie...

Travelling a short distance from Portknockie along the Coastal Trail West, we come to Findochty (pronounced Finechty).

I have often passed the signpost for this fishing village but I've never gone off the main road to visit it. Now was my chance.

Let's begin to explore Findochty....

On the approach...

The design feature reappears and the harbour enchants....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/13/15 02:38 AM

As we will see in the following photos, the curious colouting around the windows and doors continues...

But the harbour!...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/14/15 02:56 AM

The harbour is outstandingly picturesque. None of the photos you'll see below really do it justice....

Further round there are other areas of interest...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/15/15 03:08 AM

Walking east away from the harbour will bring you to what appears to be another harbour wall and jetty. According to the local folks, there is a beach further along but I did not have time to explore this.

"The Mannie" ...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/16/15 02:59 AM

Before leaving Findochty, we must see "The Mannie" (Doric for "The Man"). A local artist, Correna Cowie created a statue in 1959 of a seated fisherman, known as The Mannie, who watches over the harbour.

This is his view

This is he...

Next, we are off to Buckie for the Convention...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/17/15 03:03 AM

Some information about our next port of call, Buckie...

The town is the third largest in the Moray Council area after Elgin and Forres. Buckie dates from around 1362 and developed into a thriving fishing and shipbuilding and food processing port.

As a traditional fishing community Buckie has always had an active religious life. However, the casual observer would be excused for imagining that Buckie has an absolute obsession with Christianity, so numerous are the town’s churches representing almost every branch of Northern European Christian faith. The largest church is St. Peter's which stands on St. Andrews Square in Buckpool.

The North Church where the convention was based

The main street

A view from the main street and central square

Fountain near the square

War memorial

Two of the many churches

The Fishing Heritage Centre and an evening walk...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/18/15 03:02 AM

On arrival in Buckie on the Saturday afternoon it was heavy rain. I wanted to find a parking spot in town so that I had easy access to the convention venues.

Here is where I spent the first night

Heavy rain

The sun comes out

Following the rain the sun came out so off I went exploring...
The Fishing Heritage Centre...

An interesting trail

Boat-shaped gardens

An evening walk and a problem with the parking place...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/18/15 12:02 PM

Following the rain, it was a lovely sunny evening so off I went to walk down by the port area to enjoy the weather. In doing so, I missed the opening event of the convention. Whose was to come when I found out just how unsuitable my parking place was. ..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/19/15 02:54 AM

Continuing the evening walk down to the port...

The lighthouse? closer up

Good views from the high street

A bonnie boat

There used to be very common popular years ago - know what it is?

Harbour entrance

The house on the hill and possible the location of the former railway station?

Memories

Having settled down for the night I discovered why I had not chosen a good parking place.
There was a nightclub nearby and the music could be heard. After drifting off to sleep in the early hours, I discovered a second reason why it was a bad choice... I had parked up near the delivery point for the Coop supermarket and the deliveries began at 5.30 in the morning!
Time to move...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/19/15 12:47 PM

On Sunday I was invited to lunch with an old school friend and his wife who live in Buckie. They were able to suggest another spot to park up...

Much better!

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/20/15 03:07 AM

The convention timetable (2 sessions in the morning and one in the evening) gave me the afternoons to go and explore a little of the area, when the weather permitted...

The main street

The square

The war memorial

with a great view to the sea

The beginning and end of the Speyside Way

You will see the difference in the building materials here, compared to many of the other places that we have visited. They are mostly sandstone rather than the granite that is prevalent on the Buchan Coast.

There are lots of green spaces though...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/20/15 01:39 PM

Here are some of the green spaces and walks...

Looking down at the Burn of Buckie

Looking out over Buckpool

St. Peter's Church, an impressive building

The view's just outside the van

The path from the Fishing Heritage Centre to the main square

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/21/15 02:33 AM

Here was the venue for the conference...

The North Church

Conservation areas

Yardie is a small villqge which is part of Buckie. It is characterised by fishing cottages with great sea views and narrow passages connecting them...

Buckpool Harbour is nearby .....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/22/15 02:34 AM

Buckpool harbour was built in 1857 and was originally known as Nether Buckie. It is now a part of the town of Buckie as the nearby fishing settlements merged as they expanded. Apparently, the harbour was filled in with stones from the neighbouring Yardie beach in the 1970s and landscaped into a park. The Harbour now is the start/end of the Speyside Way walking route.

What remains of Buckpool Harbour

It is a great place to view the setting sun

A walk to Portgordon and the seal colony...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/23/15 03:21 AM

Here are some photos from the coastal walk from Buckie to Portgordon. It passes Buckpool, the Salmon Bothy, The Ice House and seal colony.

Crossing the old coastal railway line

Bonnie views of the seafront houses at Buckpool

The Salmon Bothy

The old railway line is now a coastal Walkhighlands trails...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/23/15 10:24 AM

One of the old railway bridges

Part of the Portgordon seal colony

Portgordon

Portgordon Harbour

By the Burn of Buckie...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/24/15 02:30 AM

Near my parking place was the Burn of Buckie which divides the town which was once separate fishing villages: Nether Buckie, west of the Burn of Buckie (and now known as Buckpool), Easter Buckie, Yardie, Ianstown, Gordonsburgh and Portessie.

Finally...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 08/24/15 10:43 AM

It was a good week in Buckie. It is a good place to base yourself if you enjoy walking and fishing and of course there is a good selection of distilleries in the area.

The sun is temporarily going down on this travel blog

The reason for this is that I'm heading off to Spain for a short break. I'm heading back to Boiro and will be posting here:

http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=94240&#Post94240

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 09/22/15 09:14 AM

Now that I'm back from Boiro in Galicia, Spain I'm ready to resume my posts about my travels in the North East of Scotland.
On my return, I have to be honest and admit that I could not wait to get away in the van and do some fishing.

I head up to familiar ground and familiar waters on the Buchan Coast... Cruden Bay, Boddam and Peterhead. It was nice to meet up with others in their vans and do some fishing.

My luck was in and I caught a nice mackerel at Cruden Bay...

The fight

The landing

The prize

The size

Ready to fillet

It was absolutely delicious after being slightly grilled and served with a fried egg for breakfast!

Back in Aberdeen...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 09/23/15 03:08 AM

Today, 23rd September marks the beginning of Autumn or Fall - it is the Autumnal Equinox when the leaves on the tress start changing colour and fall to the ground.
Despite the chorter days and the longer nights that we are beginning to experience, it is nevertheless a colourful season....
Hear are some pics from last year -

The Deeside Railway line...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 09/24/15 02:58 AM

The Deeside Railway was a line that travelled from Aberdeen to Ballater as a stretch of the Great North of Scotland Railway. Its tracks have since been removed in their entirety and the path opened as a track to the public. While in operation, the railway was used by the British Royal Family during travel to their Scottish retreat at Balmoral, hence the local name the Royal Deeside Line.
(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deeside_Way)

This is an easy flat walk, ideal for cycling too. I have walked this a couple of times but find it lacks great views.

The start point

The ols station information and remnants are interesting though...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 09/25/15 03:39 AM

The plaques with the information and history of the individual stations make for a good read.

Grass and marsh lands

Woods

New buildings and businesses

Developing views

This is as far as we walked, it was time for coffee and cake...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 09/27/15 03:30 AM

Just outside Aberdeen and visible from the the Deeside Way above is Allan Park. I have to admit that despite all the many years spent in Aberdeen, I had never visited this park.

For this reason, I got the bicycle out of the shed and headed there...

Every park seems to have a lodge

Mature trees

and good paths

wildlife information

A cricket square

and good views nearby

I then cycle to the Bridge of Dee and the harbour...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 09/28/15 03:28 AM

We have been on the Deeside Way, the former Deeside Railway Line which passed through Royal Deeside. The Dee is the river that runs through that area a from which it takes its name. We are now heading down by the river Dee...

The river

Some unusual houses

One of the bridges across the Dee

It is a great place to walk or cycle

Ancient wells

And inscriptions,, can anyone translate?

and yet more bridges

Including one for the railway line heading south...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 09/29/15 03:02 AM

The river Dee flows into Aberdeen harbour before meeting the sea. The Aberdeen harbour has always been a commercial centre of the town and this affluence is reflected in the grand architecture of many of the buildings to be found there.

To see the best, you own have to look up. ..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 09/30/15 11:46 AM

It is very evident that this was a "merchant quarter". Often you have to look up to see the best. ..

Some well known folks lived around here...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/01/15 03:15 AM

On some of the buildings there are plaques stating who lived or was born there.

So many great granite buildings...

And a reminder of ship building days line gone. ..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/02/15 03:58 AM

Much of this area of Aberdeen contains fine granite buildings, a legacy from the past which should be kept for future generations. Sadly some of there are being demolished in favour of class and steel monstrosities!

Once a church, now the Maritime Museam

Provest Ross's House, Built in 1593 and restored in 1954

Great photos of the Shiprow can be found here: http://mcjazz.f2s.com/Shiprow.htm

There is a monthly local market not far from this area

Sea, sand and sunsets...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/03/15 03:33 AM

The sea sand and sunsets come from last week's trip to the Buchan coast for some fishing.
First pot of call was Buchanhaven Harbour in Peterhead. It is a lovely wee spot...

A view to the harbour

Slipway and harbour wall

looking back to Buchanhaven

A great place to sit and think

The wee harbour is atill a working harbour

The cormorants stand guard

Pictures from the past....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/04/15 03:00 AM

Here is a couple of shots of how Buchanhaven would have been in the past...

and back to today...

Now that autumn is here, the boats are out of the water for protection against the elements...

Well see more of this in Boddam....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/05/15 02:53 AM

This recent run up the Buchan coast was part of a four day fishing trip combined with some walking and catching up with some folks in the area.

I met up with some friends at Boddam...

Always great views

...of the coast

...the village

and the lighthouse

It was the Monday after the super moon and lunar eclipse

The harbour will be quieter from now on as they are taking the boats out of the harbour here too

Boddam harbour and back to Cruden Bay....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/06/15 02:54 AM

It is always good to park up in Boddam Harbour as the views are good when the weather is fine.

Morning sun on the lighthouse

View from the van in the morning

The harbours is getting quiet as the fishing season draws to a close

The local kids have been busy in preparation for 5th November

A bonnie day in Cruden Bay and a superb sunset...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/07/15 02:52 AM

On thus fine morning, it was a case for heading to Peterhead for some shopping and then on to Cruden Bay for some fishing.
It was a beautiful day in the Bay...

A calm harbour

A silvery sea

and a high tide

The new Ladies Bridge in the afternoon sun

and a promising sunset

The sunset really developed into something special...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/08/15 02:53 AM

Here is the sunset as it developed and faded. One of the most beautiful I have ever seen...
No words are necessary

Memorable.

A morning walk to Slains Castle....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/09/15 02:50 AM

A final look at the sunset

The next morning was crisp and bright with great light. Just right for a morning walk to Slains Castle...

The sunlit woods

Its an easy walk on a good path

That opens out into great sea views

And fields

With the castle in the distance...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/10/15 03:59 AM

It is the first time I have seen the castle silhouetted in the sunshine first thing in the morning....

On the approach

Side view

Looking out to sea and the main tower

The fog comes in...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/11/15 02:57 AM

It was a beautiful day for some afternoon fishing in Cruden Bay but the early morning low tide allowed an opportunity for looking for lost lures in the rocks!

During a recent trip to Peterhead, I noted with interest the new historical informations signs which describes locations and events of interest on the Peterhead Trail.

Here are some of them... (click on each to enlarge and read)

Then the weather changed...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/12/15 03:05 AM

In the evening it grew colder and the mist came down.

By next morning it was a thick fog but no matter, it was time to head home. In Aberdeen, the colours were changing as autumn approaches....

Sometimes there are just hints...

With reds and browns standing out

Orange

and copper too

with a sprinkling of leaves here

and there

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/13/15 02:57 AM

Looking forward to those bright days with blue skies and just branches on the trees. At the moment, autumn it still in its early throes but carpets of leaves and more and more colour is developing

Colourful carpets

Colourful trees

But still a lot of green around

In the city centre, these is still a lot of decorative flowering plants

On my bike...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/14/15 03:04 AM

Like many folks, I enjoy getting out and about on my bicycle, As well as being good exercise, it affords the opportunity to visit local places without the need to worry about parking the car or camper van...

A "well" named street

Cycling through Seaton Park

The river Don

Sunshine through the trees

On the beach...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/15/15 02:41 AM

At the beach, despite the lack of trees and leaves, it still gives the impression of autumn

The tree-lined residential areas on the cycle back home just confirm that we are well and truly past the season of the summer sun. There is a certain beauty about the buildings and back streets

Fotos on foot - a walk in town....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/16/15 02:55 AM

It is a pleasure to be out walking at this time of year, not too cold but with a blue sky, sun and still lots of colour around. The granite building fairly sparkle, especially when they have been cleaned.

St Margaret's Church Hall

The steps to the church

Traditionally built, and south facing, it sparkles in the sun

An iconic Aberdeen pub - the Kirkgate Bar

The former Aberdeen University Union

Colourful Fittie...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/17/15 02:37 AM

Continuing a short cycling trip in town...

Foreboding clouds on one side

Blue skies on the other

Aberdeen has lots of towers and spires

Here is a hint of colourful Fittie 9Footdee)

More to come as we cycle through the former fishing community...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/18/15 02:43 AM

The residents of the Fittie (Footdee) a former fishing village by the moth of the river Dee take great pride in their surrounding and many of them add lots of colour to brighten it up...

I think that you will agree that the colour adds to the quaintness and charm of the place.

More from Fittie,,,

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/19/15 03:29 AM

The residents really make an effort to keep the village looking bonnie. I must make a note to get down there around Christmas time to see what the displays are like. In the meantime lets see a few more shots of the village, some from unusual viewpoints.

The cottages and the sea wall

Not quite a pueblo blanco!

Rooftops

and narrow paths

and the little and the large

The sea wall

The houses

and the outhouses

Off into town...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/20/15 02:53 AM

It was one of those quiet days down by the beach, a bit overcast with a chill in the air

You can see Fittie and the harbour in the distance

Here is a shot of the old Harbour Master's building at the entrance to the harbour

It was time to cycle to town...

Robert the Bruce

The railway line running past Union Terrace Gardens and the recently built Denburn dual carriageway

The spire if St Nicholas Kirk

above Union Terrace Gardens

Anyone got some garlic?

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/21/15 03:08 AM

Let's have a look at some photos of the town centre of Ellon. I took a trip there the other day and went there the other day and in Collieston and Cruden Bay on the route.

The narrow road to the parking in Collieston

The bonnie beach and village behind it

The harbour

A long shot of the village

The harbour at Cruden Bay

Looking toward the beach

On the trip to Ellon, it was clear that the the harvest is now more or less over..

and so to Ellon

As with Aberdeen, notable residents are mentioned. I've no idea who this chap was

But he lived in an impressive house...

Ellon town....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/22/15 02:36 AM

The town centre of Ellon is very compact with lots of traditional buildings. It looks like some of them were staging posts for folks travelling in the north east and fording or crossing the river Ythan, well-known for salmon fishing.

Here are some photos taken from a short walk in the town centre

The narrow streets

A church converted to a shopping centre

with an unusual sculpture outside

The old bridge and the new bridge

The old bridge

The river Ythan

Bonnie buildings....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/23/15 02:29 AM

It is easy not to appreciate the architecture and beauty of buildings when are out and about and visiting new places. I have been in Ellon town centre several times but not really noticed the nature of some of its buildings.
On this visit, I made a point of looking at them!

Now a bank

Could have been a staging post at one time

Solid granite buildings in the Square

Quaint cottages

Rather grand

Yet another hotel... well placed by the bridge and river

Next, some final shots from Ellon then a visit to the golf course and some great views....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/24/15 03:43 AM

Aberdeen is well-supplied with golf courses, both municipal and private. There is even an indoor range and simulators.
I had a wee trip to one of the municipal courses at Hazlehead (the 9 hole course). Lovely scenery and views.
Please forgive the puns below...

I drove there in the car because

it was a fair way

It is one of FOUR courses in the area

Even at this time, the whole area is still very green

More from the course...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/25/15 03:54 AM

This is quite a scenic course with great views over the town and to the North Sea.

Saw a squirrel, but not any eagles or birdies!

After the game, it was off to the cafe for a cup of tee.

Brig 'O Balgownie in the autumn....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/26/15 03:27 AM

Today, we are revisiting one of my favourite short walks. Have done the walk a few times with friends in winter time with bare branches on the trees and a bright blue sky (photos have already been posted of this), I though that the autumn colours at this time of year might be worth recording.
It also gave me the opportunity to show the walk to others...

Just heading off along the path with the river Don in the foreground and some lucky residents houses in the distance

The tree-lined path

The fallen leaves and their multicolours

The sunshine through the trees

Looking back along the leaf-strewn path

Looking back along the river

Looking down the river bank to the water

The Brig and the Cotown of Balgownie

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/27/15 03:56 AM

We will continue on the walk to the small collection of houses, some dating to 1722 at Cotown of Balgownie and also to the bridge itself

The new from the old

The sunlit Brig in the distance

A beautiful location to lodge

Down to the water

Looking across to the bridge

Cotown of Balgownie

The bridge...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/28/15 04:27 AM

Onward we go to the bridge itself and the the return journey on the opposite bank of the river.

Old gas street light

The morning sun is getting lower

The bridge

Construction began in the 13th Century and it was the only way to move armies into and out of north Aberdeen hence possession of the bridge was important.

It commands outstanding views of the river

and leads to some quaint cottages...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/29/15 03:28 AM

On the way back from the Brig o' Balgownie to the Bridge of Don, we come across a row of really quaint cottages...

Stunning in the sun

like a picture postcard

as they overlook the river Don

with access to riverside walkways

for a stroll along the river bank in the morning sun

with great views back to the Cotown of Balgownie

as we head to the Bridge of Don....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 10/30/15 03:33 AM

The final stretch of this short walk (about 45 minutes) will take us down the north bank of the river Don in an easterly direction towards the sea.

The bright water

A very ornamental and steep access to a garden

Looking east

Looking west

The Bridge of Don

Looking back up the river along the path

and finally, the river island

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/01/15 03:21 AM

On a visit to Ellon (aI spotted these typically Scottish grand granite homes...

Gigantic gardens

Private driveways

Slightly secluded

yet colourful

The Victoria HAll dating from 1901 ia a community facility

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/02/15 03:02 AM

Back in town now and I had the opportunity to wander through another of the local public parks on my way into town. I've found some pictures that I had taken a few weeks ago of the park.

The park is named after Queen Victoria and first opened to the public in 1871.

It is quite ornamental

and has the obligatory lodge

with tree-lined walks

A Braille garden

Mature trees

and lots of flower beds and borders

The fountain and a little-known fact...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/03/15 02:44 AM

The Westburn Park which is just on the other side of the main road has traditionally been "sporting park". By this I mean that folks go there to be active, whether it be to the fiddle shaped ponds, having a kick around with a ball or utilising the sporting facilities which include indoor and outdoor tennis courts, lawn bowling greens, football pitch and cycle tracks.
On the other hand, it neighbour, the Victoria Park is more of an ornamental park being used mostly for strolling and sitting in the sun.

At the centre of the park is the fountain...

A little know fact is that the fountain was constructed using fourteen different types of granite. The fountain was presented to the citizens of the city by the Granite Polishers and Master Builders of Aberdeen.

The well

The green, green grass

and a memorial

The Walker Dam...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/04/15 02:51 AM

Located to the west of the town, not too far from Hazlehead Park is the Walker Dam. This was probably a mill dam originally. Now it is a popular beauty spot.

It is now a nature reserve, with park benches and walking areas. The dam supports birdlife and the surrounding area is now parkland.

The water and woods

King's College in the autumn sunlight...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/05/15 02:59 AM

King's College, the ancient seat of Aberdeen University is located on the east side of town. Founded in 1495 these buildings are an outstanding feature of the King's College Campus of which 15th century King's College Chapel is a central feature.

Lets have a stroll around the campus on a sunny autumn day....

The quaint cottages of Wrights and Coopers Way

The arched entrance to New Kings

The LAwn looking towards New Kings

Emblems and towers

The tower of the Chapel

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/06/15 02:57 AM

Although it dates back to 1495, the classrooms and chapel around the quadrangle are still well used. I'll endeavour to get some photos of the chapel interior.

The Chapel tower in the distance

The front of King's College

The Chapel

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/07/15 03:37 AM

Continuing our walk around King's College...

Looking from Elphinstone Hall to the Chapel

Elphinstone Hall was designed and built in 1930

The playing fields

The twin towers leading to Johnston and Crombie Halls of Residence

The Old Town House seen from the St Machar Bar

More quaint cottages

New Kings

The town house...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/08/15 03:25 AM

It is always a pleasure to walk along the cobbled High Steet in Old Aberdeen from Kings College to the Old Town House and then on to the new library...

The High Street

with it's quaint side streets

and lanes leading off High Street

It has great views

At the end ... The Town House

The new library...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/09/15 02:44 AM

In contrast to the old, we have the state of the art new, in the form of the library. The Duncan Rice Library was opened in 2012 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh.

Viewed from the distance

Through a sculpture

and closer up

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/09/15 10:35 AM

Here is a couple from King's College. They we taken in Febrary of this year....

Looking down High Street from the Town House

The silhouetted tower

The two towers

The Chapel front

A trip to Alford....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/10/15 02:49 AM

Went for a little run out to Alford (pronounced Aford!) near Aberdeen to take advantage of the reasonable November weather.

On the way out, we stopped at the Loch Of Skene

It is a lovely spot

But the grounds are prive

Only being open at certain times of the year

It has great granite gatehouses

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/11/15 02:28 AM

On the way to Alford, we find love rolling countryside. It is mostly farmland out this way...

Alford basically a village with a main street, some small shops and lots of housing. It does feature a Heritage Centre and the Grampian Transport Museum as well as a miniature railway.

The miniature railway station

Stone Sculptures

The Heritage Centre

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/12/15 02:40 AM

For those visiting Alford and seeking refreshment, you will find a couple of tea rooms and a hotel. Other than that, there is not much but there would be ample choice for the hungry or thirsty traveller.

The main street with its granite buildings

The drinking fountain

More street views

The golf course

A tardis and a ruin...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/13/15 02:41 AM

As with the Heritage Centre, T=the Grampian Transport Museum was also closed for the season, but we did spot a tardis in its grounds...

Just outside Alford is the small community of Bridge of Alford. The bridge after which it is named crosses the River Don (we are in Donside).

The bridge

and the river Don

Derelict property

a ruin of a church

It must have been an important resting spot for travellers in bygone days as there is a hotel

The road home...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/14/15 02:34 AM

Its time to head back to a more built up environment before heading back into the countryside. Here are some photos from the road back to town

Great granite buildings and indoor golf...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/14/15 02:40 AM

Back in Aberdeen to mixed weather and a visit to an indoor golf centre. We a very fortunate with the outstanding granite architecture we have here. Unfortunately, much of it is being replaced by concrete and glass.

Market Street in the Merchant Quarter

It must have been something special in its heyday...

The former Labour Exchange (now an indoor golf centre

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/15/15 02:38 AM

Gamola Golf now inhabit the former Labour Exchange building. It is a magnificent building both on the ourside and on the inside...

The bar and restaurant area

The hallway

Great harbour views

One of the practice ranges / simulators

The whole of Market Street was designed by Archibald Simpson and work began on its construction around 1840.

More from the Merchant Quarter...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/16/15 03:02 AM

Still in the Merchant Quarter (but only just), we come to Belmont street...

A former church, now the (other) Slains Castle pub

Pategonian Court

Formerly classrooms of Aberdeen Academy, now the Schoolhouse

Part of the façade of Aberdeen Academy. no a shopping gallery

A look back along Belmont Street

Part of what was the Triple Kirks, now a pub

Looking down the railway line at the Denburn

William Wallace pointing to Her Majesty's Theatre

Gardens at Union Terrace, with the library in the background

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/16/15 11:11 AM

Are there any specific areas or places in NE Scotland that you would like to see photographs of?
I'll do my best to fulfil requests smile
RR

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/17/15 03:21 AM

Aberdeen nightlights...
I went to take a photograph of Marischal College (formerly part of the University of Aberdeen but now the City Council's administrative centre) because it had been lit in the French Tricolor as a mark of support.

I ended up taking one or two more photographs of other buildings with façade lights....

The Theatre

James Dun's House - formerly part of Aberdeen Academy

It is a beautiful building on Schoolhill that was a popular museum and gallery with changing exhibitions but in 2001 was converted into a hairdresser and cafe.
It was built in 1769 and was owned by James Dun who was the rector of Aberdeen Grammar School which used to be located on Schoolhill before being moved in the 19th century. (Source:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dun%27s_House)

Marischal College

Donald's Way

Central Library

City Church

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/18/15 03:07 AM

Aberdeen really is well-named as the granite city. It has some magnificent granite buildings, many designed by the architect Archibald Simpson.

The Cowdray Hall is one of city's most popular concert venues accentuated by superb acoustics. l there is a war memorial to those from Aberdeen who died during World War One and World War Two. Inside the Cowdray Hall there are more war memorials. Designed by Alexander Marshall Mackenzie (1 January 1848 – 4 May 1933) in 1921

The front of the former Aberdeen Academy, Schoolhill

The Art Gallery

Robert Gordon's College entrance

Building formerly used by Robert Gordon's University

St Nicholas Kirk

Rosemount Vaiduct as seen from Central Library

Union Terrace...
Posted by: jacmom

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/18/15 08:33 AM

I really like the old architecture, but are there any modern buildings going up of good design?

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/18/15 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By jacmom
I really like the old architecture, but are there any modern buildings going up of good design?

There is quite a lot of new building jacmom but IMHO, concrete and glass is not the most attractive. It is especially bad when they tear down the granite building and replace with the modern.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/19/15 02:44 AM

Running from Rosemont (above) to Union Street (the principal or main city centre street) is Union Terrace with its magnificent buildings:

Back to the countryside: Rhynie, a river and a ruin...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/20/15 02:39 AM

This week's day trip was to the village of Rhynie and its surrounding countryside. Situated 14 miles NW of Alford (which we visited last week), Rhynie is an Aberdeenshire village which boasts Pictish carved stones and a 2000 year old fort.

Here is its location

On the way there....

The back o' Bennachie

A distillery and the village..

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/21/15 03:00 AM

On our way to Rhynie, we pass some small communities including Kennethmont and Insch.

The Ardmore distillery at Kennethmont

and part of the village

and superb countryside

and so to Rhynie

The Square...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/21/15 11:08 AM

The first snows of winter in NE Scotland arrived today....

Brr... it's cold!

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/22/15 03:16 AM

Back to the trip to Rhynie..

Here is the village square, called The Square. Its a bonnie area with gardens, a memorial and a church. The Square is surrounded by houses and small businesses...

A long distance view of the church and memorial

The pathway through the gardens leading to the memorial

The memorial - War Memorial, 1920, Robert Morrison. Superlative sculpted granite figure of an infantryman, the summit of craftsmanship in granite carving. On tall, square plinth. (source: https://canmore.org.uk/site/145936/rhynie-the-square-war-memorial)

Noth Church, it was built in the early 1820s

The countryside ...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/23/15 02:34 AM

Here are some photos of an area called Mains O' North, just outside Rhynie...

A garden with a view

The late autumn landscape

Farmer's fields

Rolling hills

and long and winding roads

and even a bit of blue sky!

Heading home via the ruin....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/23/15 10:16 AM

Here is an update on the cold snap that arrived at the weekend...

We had more snow...

It made for slippery roads

but bonnie scenery

It rained overnight so now it is all gone!

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/24/15 02:36 AM

Back to the Rhynie trip...

It was a good drive home with lovely viewa and some interesting things to see.

It did threaten rain but this did not come to much

I saw a ruin in the distance

and it was this

This is St Mary's Kirk at Auchindoir and it is one of the country's finest surviving medieval parish kirks. It dates from the early 13th Century...

It was worth stopping for some pictures of the old, ruined church

The ruin commanded a great view

More about the church here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary%27s_Kirk,_Auchindoir

Back on the road...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/24/15 08:26 AM

The great view from the church at Auchindoir

The journey home...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/25/15 02:51 AM

After Auchindoir, it was time to journey home through Alford (second time that week!) and down through Donside.

It was through rolling countryside

with Highland Cattle

Through villages like Lumsden

with village squares, greens and churches

War memorial on the village square

and a patriotic van!

And at the roadside some interesting architecture

Before the final stretch

Three churches, two bays and one amazing outlook...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/26/15 02:46 AM

This week's day trip involved a run up the coast and took in a visit to three churches, two bays and one amazing outlook...

The three churches are old ones, but still in use I think.

Foveran Church...
built in 1794 and lies about a mile south-west of Newburgh village

The dates on the gravestones

A peek inside

St. James' Church Cruden Bay...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/27/15 02:44 AM

St James' Church, Cruden Bay
The tall, pinnacled tower and spire of St James's can be seen from miles around. Designed by William Hay in 1842, the church has a nave and chancel with the tower and spire at the west end. The font is from the chantry chapel, built after the battle between the Scots and the Danes in 1012. (Source: https://www.scotlandschurchestrust.org.uk/church/st-jamess-church-cruden-bay)

Old Cruden Church...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/28/15 08:40 AM

Old Cruden Church, the final in our list of three allegedly dates as far back as 1012. You can read about its history and se more photos here: http://www.crudenchurch.org.uk/history.htm

The entrance to the graveyard

It is large

and well-maintained

The church building

The church hall (lloks like it might have been a school at some point in the past

The curiously pink manse

Two bays and one outstanding view...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/29/15 03:09 AM

The two bays will be well known to those who have been following this topic. Cruden Bay and and the bay at Boddam, so no surprises there!

Cruden Bay

High tide on and the beach

Fishing boats out of the water for winter

Boddam

The empty harbour

Dry dock

The lighthouse

One outstanding view

This statue commemorates the opening of the Cadet Training Centre at Boddom

It commands an outstanding view over the village and the coastline

Concrete and glass, not a pretty sight....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 11/30/15 02:50 AM

Concrete and glass...

As you may have gathered, one of the things that I appreciate about my home town is its granite buildings. The older I get, the more I resent their being demolished and replace by concrete and glass edifices. In some cases, the new buildings have white exteriors which in our climate will quickly lose their pristine look.

Here are some of the concrete and glass structures, some old, some new so that you can make your own mind up.

What do you think?

The "modern" extension to HM Theatre

The upper deck of the St Nicholas shopping centre

Perhaps the biggest disaster... the Marischal College will soon be hidden by concrete and glass

The lower deck of the St Nicholas shopping centre can also be seen in the above photo

St Magnus House office block near the harbour

The Exchange near the harbour

The recently built Union Square...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/01/15 02:37 AM

Here is Union Square, a large concrete and glass shopping centre and car park by the bus and train station...

The car park

The front

A new office block has just been built to the side of the Square

and finally....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/02/15 02:19 AM

In the town centre...

In the city centre, office block to the right and shopping centre to the left

Office block

Trinity shopping centre (can you see the granite Trinity Hall at the left of the picture?)

A famous store

Bon Accord shopping centre

Well, that's enough of that! Back to some bonnier buildings and views soon...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/03/15 01:59 AM

However, before we leave the concrete and glass posts, here is a peek inside the shopping complex at Union Square...

You can see the remnants of the exterior of the train station in this photograph

and the interior of the train station

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/04/15 02:43 AM

As I look across the town, one thing that always strikes me is the number of church spires and clock towers that you can see...

Looking across Union Terrace Gardens

Looking down Union Street to the Castlegate

The Town House

Looking towards the Castlegate and the Salvation Army Citadel

The Citadel

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/05/15 02:29 AM

Another one of the Town House tower

and a splendid Marischal College against a bright blue sky

A short distance away is the Kirk of St. Nicholas

A former Church of Scotland Teaching College in George Street

A bonnie sunset

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/06/15 03:30 AM

I found these photos for almost exactly three years ago... 5th Dec 2012.
Brr.....
The old camper van

On a walk to town, very scenic in the snow

with snow-covered branches

and a low morning sun

against the bare branches

and later in the day

... a bonnie sunset

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/07/15 02:38 AM

Storm "Desmond" passed through the Uk this weekend and caused major travel disruption and flooding throughout the country. You may have read, heard or seen the reports in the media.
Whilst we had very high winds on Friday in this part of the country, we did have very high winds throughout Friday night.

The cost is a scenic but dangerous place to be in stormy weather....

The calm following the storm...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/08/15 03:10 AM

I prefer the calm after the storm to the calm before the storm - at least you know that the storm is over. Here are a few pics of the beach and bay after the storm...

Interesting clouds

Drum castle and a graveyard and watchtower....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/09/15 02:44 AM

This week's wee trip was to the Royal Deeside town of Banchory (slightly south west of Aberdeen) and the nearby Drum Castle.

I have been to Banchory many times but had never spotted an old cemetery with a watchtower down by the river Dee...

It turns out the cemetery belongs to Banchory Ternan Church. It is situated on the north bank of the River Dee, on the east side of Banchory.

This is a very old site and is known to have been inhabited over 8000 years ago

The church associated with the graveyard has long since gone from the grounds

You can see it's replacement here at the top of the photo, built in 1824

The River Dee flows right by the graveyard

There is a walk that runs along the river to the town of Banchory

The watchtower and the church...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/10/15 02:57 AM

The graveyard features a watchtower which was used to guard the graveyard at night at a time when grave robbing was a serious possibility.
You can see the renovated tower here

and here

Christianity reached Banchory over 1,500 years ago. Saint Ternan, who was born in Fordoun in Angus about 440 AD, built a monastery here and, as well as preaching the Christian gospel, he and his followers taught the local people farming, arts and crafts.
In 1143 AD a new settlement was created near the churchyard, and a church, school and houses were built. We know that a new church was opened in 1664/65; the bell from this church now hangs in the old Watchtower. (Source: http://www.banchoryeastchurch.org/history.htm)

The church is visible at the top of this picture

Church and drinking fountain

Drinking fountain

Next, we will visit Drum Castle

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/11/15 02:46 AM

Dating from the 13th Century, Drum Castle and its gardens are situated near Banchory.

The 13th Centrury tower

Main entrance

Driveway leading to the castle

Christmas tree in the courtyard

The courtyard

Coat of arms

More of the castle and the chapel...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/11/15 08:40 PM

Here we see a side entrance to the courtyard of the castle

This appears to be the rear but it looks like the front!

The private chapel

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/12/15 02:31 PM

It's time to beat a retreat from Drum Castle:

Coming up....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/13/15 02:40 AM

From dry land to the sea...

I popped in to the Maritime Museum for a quick coffee and had a look round the exhibits for the first time in a long time.

Aberdeen has a rich history associated with the sea from humble beginnings in fishing to its involvement in offshore oil exploration.

The museum extends from a former church (on left) to a new extension and then to Provost Ross' House which was built in 1593 (on right)

Lighthouse lamp

Old style sailing ship bridge

Figurehead

Modern deep sea diving suit

Early diving suit

A ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle)

Sail boat use for herring fishing

Models, media and more...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/14/15 02:25 AM

You may have seen some of my posts about the beauty of granite buildings in Aberdeen (The Granite City) and new buildings of concrete and glass. Well, I came across this article in the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ng-project.html

Here are a couple of very recent pictures of granite buildings being demolished (site of a hospital) to make way for residential apartments. Business would suggest which option of more profitable... convert existing buildings or build new ones.

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/14/15 02:44 AM

Back to the Maritime Museum...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/14/15 10:39 AM

Back in the Maritime Museum...

Inside a fisherman's cottage

Inside a drawing office

Some more models

Multimedia displays with some fascinating footage

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/15/15 02:44 AM

The third floor church-style window

more multimedia showing the development of Aberdeen harbour

more artefacts

.. models and diving equipmwnt

Scale model of an oil rig installation

view of harbour from the window

The Maritime Museum is a good example of tastefully adding an extension to an existing granite building without demolishing it...

Born and Baptised exhibition....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/16/15 02:58 AM

This is a short term exhibition that has been mounted in the Maritime Museum.

Aberdeen born artist John Phillip was one of the most successful artists of the Victorian era. His magnificent painting, Baptism in Scotland, gives us a glimpse into highland life in the mid 19th century.
It is on this that the exhibition is based

As the focus of this exhibition it sees us explore the changing face of Baptism through the ages drawing on objects and paintings from Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museums splendid collection.

(Info Source: http://www.visitaberdeen.com/whats-on/calendar/born-and-baptised/?date=2015-12-12)

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/17/15 02:51 AM

Leaving the Maritime Museum and walking through the town, there is some great evidence of The Granite City's architectural heritage...

Coloured granite

Terraced houses and tall spires

Sometimes imposing

Sometimes simpler

But always interesting

yet seldom seen

Christmas is coming...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/18/15 02:46 AM

Are you in the festive spirit yet? With seven days to go until Christmas Day, I have to say the I am not quite there yet.
However, the city is getting dressed up in its festive garb and activities.

Let's have a look at what is happening here.

Christmas village/...

with its food stalls

and Christmeas trees

Market stalls

and eating halls

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/19/15 03:16 AM

More from the Christmas Village...

Some attractions...

For the brave

For the young

The ice rink for everyone

A little further was the monthly market...

Lights at night....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/20/15 03:27 AM

The Christmas village is more colourful in the dark...

Ice rink area

Overlooking the gardens

Indoor spaces

Market stalls

But then these...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/21/15 02:43 AM

These...

are giant illuminated bunnies which form part of an art installation in the gardens.

They don't do anything, they just sit there!

Returning to the Christmas Village by night...

Street lights....

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/22/15 02:48 AM

Here are some of the night-time Christmas Street lights in the town centre...

Union Street

Belmont Street

The Academy

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/23/15 03:20 AM

Continuing out night time tour...

Provost Dunn's House

Castlegate

Meanwhile, at dusk, down by King's College...

The shopping malls...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/23/15 11:12 AM

The shopping centres are all dressed up for Christmas too...

The Nativity

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/23/15 11:13 AM

All dressed up for the Candlelit Carol Service...

Re: My Travels in North East Scotland - 12/24/15 02:54 AM

Our church building has been dressed up a bit for our Candlelit Carol Service...