Help with EuRail Pass for France/Italy

Posted by: Rodolfo

Help with EuRail Pass for France/Italy - 03/18/09 06:59 PM

I hope someone can help with this. I'm not sure of what type of pass/tickets will fit our needs for train travel between France and Italy. More specifically, we'd like to start our trip in Marseilles, then go to Florence for a couple of nights, then to Rome for a few more before heading back to Marseilles to fly home.

Would the Eurail France - Italy Pass that offers Unlimited train travel for 4 days in 2 months period be the one we need?

We think our train schedule would look something like this: Mar-Flor
Flor-Rome
Rome- Mar

Thanks for any suggestions you might have
Posted by: Jamongris

Re: Help with EuRail Pass for France/Italy - 03/31/09 05:04 AM

A good site for information about European train travel is http://www.seat61.com/

Basically he says that you are nearly always better off financially buying individual train tickets, rather than passes, unless you really are planning on doing a lot of touring, so I certainly think it would be worth pricing your trip out before opting for a rail pass.
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Help with EuRail Pass for France/Italy - 03/31/09 01:58 PM

Rodolfo , Have you to been to Marseille before ? .. I was there a few years ago .. Itīs an amazing port city and very Arabic in parts . The most famous dish is the Bouillabaise ( Fish soup/stew ) Itīs completely , amazingly delicious and Marseille is well known as the centre for this dish . Wash it down with a bottle of cold Rose Wine ( The South of France is famous for this ) .. If you can look out for bottles from a beautiful seaside town called Bandol ( Where I stayed in a friendīs apartment ) The wine has been granted "appelation Controlée" by the French government due to itīs high quality .... The French , I have to say , are masters of food and wine ! Steve