MadridMan, a Problem with Search.

Posted by: Bill from NYC

MadridMan, a Problem with Search. - 07/08/05 01:19 PM

MadridMan

I would have sent an email about this problem, but I am right now at work and I will probably when I get how forget to bring this to your attention.

I tried doing a search on Barcelona in the Hostels & Other Lodging forum and it returned only 200 messages. The latest messages returned were from 2002. So I did a search on Madrid and it only returned only 200 messages and the latest were from 2002.

I remember doing a few searchs on Madrid and Sevilla in December 2004 for hotel recommendations and it returned over 400 messages and it contained messages from 2003 and 2004.

Is there a problem or is it me?

Bill
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search. - 07/08/05 03:04 PM

Hi there! Thanks VERY much for your message.

Someone else emailed me about this issue and I'll tell you what I told them;

The message board is HUGE! There is SO much information contained therein and the search function yields a maximum of 200 results and is sorted from oldest to newest. Invariably, with broad search keywords like "Barcelona" or "Madrid" in the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" the search results are enormous and therefore you're results are MANY and OLD. This is a function of the message board software that I cannot change in its current version - now several years old. It seems with the newest version you can change/sort the search results but... here's the dig.... The total price for a new software license PLUS "professional installation" costs several hundred of dollars. I've put-off this expenditure for obvious reasons but imagine the day will come that we can't function efficiently without the upgrade. rolleyes

For the time being I would recommend using more specific keywords to narrow the search results. Try something like, "Hostal Barcelona Ramblas" for example.

I appreciate your comments and, well, we'll have to live with this as it is for now. Sorry!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search. - 07/08/05 04:07 PM

Thanks for the information and will try what you recommended.

I guess being popular does have a price!

Bill
Posted by: DJC

Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search. - 07/09/05 06:35 PM

Maybe this has been discussed before, but why can't you give an address and board users who want to could send a contribution to help with the costs? It would be a small price for the enjoyment people get from the message board, and totally voluntary.

Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search. - 07/09/05 07:51 PM

Nah. But thanks, DJC. I don't believe in soliciting donations for MadridMan.com. It's so... cheesey and definitely changes the flavor of the website when you do. But thanks for the comment/suggestion. I'll upgrade it someday in the next year, I'm sure.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: DJC

Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search. - 07/09/05 08:40 PM

That's sure your call to make, but it seems to me that there is a BIG difference between soliciting and accepting.

Re: MadridMan, a Problem with Search. - 07/09/05 09:11 PM

DJC, I think they both evoke the same kind of feeling/sensation in the minds of the viewer. When I surf upon a site which has a DONATE button or a graphic which says "Please Support XYZ.com!" I feel like the website owner is soliciting even though clicking the DONATE button/option is totally voluntary.

But really, I do appreciate your input. Maybe we can start 2006 with the newest upgrade to the message board software. Let's see. It'd be a nice suprise for everyone and a nice GIFT to all our members, thanking THEM for making our little message board what it has become. smile

Saludos, MadridMan