SE Asia earthquake

Posted by: jose madrid

SE Asia earthquake - 12/27/04 07:33 AM

The news from that side of the world has been shocking. Good thoughts and sympathy go out to everyone, especially any board members who may have found themselves in the area.
Really unfortunate time for this to happen too...
As they say, disaster always strikes the poor man harder frown
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/27/04 08:13 AM

I can't remember a natural catastrophe of this scale. JUST HORRIBLE and very very sad. A coworker was going to fly home to India TODAY and I wonder if he's still going. What a terrible shame. I have some relatives vacationing in Thailand during the time of the Tsunami too. eek I hope they're okay.

Saddened, MadridMan frown
Posted by: MedicalMan

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/27/04 12:41 PM

Latest Death Toll as of 6:30 Pm(Madrid Time) was 23,000 dead. They say it could be double that. Europe or North America have not had a disaster of this magnitude as far back as I can remember. frown
Posted by: Booklady

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/27/04 01:23 PM

Madridman, I pray that your relatives were out of harms way.

A truly terrifying and unexpected event to strike such a large area and so many countries. I too have not heard of such a calamity in my lifetime, where so many people lost their lives in an event that took less than a day!

I pray our governments expedite help to the stricken areas, they are going to need it quickly.

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/27/04 03:06 PM

Thanks, Booklady. I JUST got word that they had left the Thailand coast just 2 days beforehand. Wow.
Posted by: desert dweller

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/27/04 10:45 PM

The Alaska earthquake of 1964 was stronger, but due to the low population density there was not the property damage or loss of life. The people in Cresent City, California did just what the people of Thailand did and went down to the beach and watched the tidal wave come in. That is where the loss of life came from on that one. Any married man can tell you not to argue with a woman, Mother Nature has no sense of humor. frown
Posted by: jose madrid

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/28/04 04:37 AM

MadridMan, good to hear about your relatives smile
Posted by: filbert

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/28/04 05:11 AM

This devastating event comes a year almost to the day after the quake in Bam, Iran which killed 10s of thousands also. What makes this event so devastating is the number of countries involved spread over 1000s of miles. What is really horrible is we haven't yet found out the scale of destruction in Indonesia (close to the centre of the quake). News reports today suggest there may be 30000 deaths in Indonesia alone. Let us pray that this figure proves to be an over-estimate. It all puts our day-to-day troubles into perspective..
Posted by: Puna

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/28/04 08:39 AM

Filbert,

I heard that awful figure of 30,000 quoted as a possibility on NPR this morning - and with far greater numbers of dead expected for many of the other countries, Sri Lanka and the southern tip of India primarily.

The immensity of this disaster is basically unbelievable ...
Posted by: The_Keeper_at_Home

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/30/04 10:19 AM

114 000 dead now. 80 000 in Indonesia alone. Not a lot to say.

I belong to another group called bookcrossing (you may have heard of them). Well there is a Spain related link.

http://bookcrossing.com/forum/5/1535010/5/subj_Tsunami-victims-aid:-Spain-leads-the-way.

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/30/04 12:13 PM

folks that are considering donations (cash is what is being requested due to cost of transporting hard goods + it is far more beneficial to the countries involved to buy local goods to help) is Amnesty International at www.amnesty.org

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/30/04 01:11 PM

Many thanks Puna. But I have been a long time member of Amnesty and Amnesty is not on organisation that is involved in this kind of disaster. Please rather, if you wish to donate to the aid of this disaster give to medicins sin frontiers or the red cross

http://www.msf.org/

www.redcross.org.uk/

There are delays trying to reach these sites because of the number of people trying to reach them but be patient and give what you can.

M.

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/30/04 02:48 PM

Agree with you about Doctors Without Frontiers - it is a tremendous organization - as is, of course, the Red Cross. Maybe I have it all wrong - but the email I got from Amnesty (I'm a member as you are) yesterday I think, indicated they were actively involved in raising funds to help the people in the affected counties. I agree - a bit out of the normal Amnesty range of interests - did I read it wrong? :o

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/30/04 08:53 PM

I can't say, I get my Amnesty mails sent to my work email and have been on holiday all week. I'll let you know Monday.

M.

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/31/04 08:20 AM

I can do a copy and paste - think it's still in my hotmail account - MM, any problem with this?
If a)you can tear yourself away from the glorious food b)the even better company .... wink

Re: SE Asia earthquake - 12/31/04 09:08 PM

Of course, Puna. Thatīs fine. Paste the information to help those in need.