dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie?

Posted by: thetoro

dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/25/04 05:16 PM

http://www.chuckchamblee.com/dom/fun/yankee_dixie_quiz.htm
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/25/04 09:16 PM

That's pretty cool! It "detected" my Yankee-isms and even on Number 6 question: "Do you pronounce "cot" and "caught" the same way?" I won't give my answer here but with it the comment FOR my answer was "Favored from Pennsylvania to Ohio and Indiana". WOW! RIGHT on the money! Exactly right!

BUT!!..... here's MY final score with comment:

"57% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category."

HUH?! Sheesh! Guess I'll have to change this site to MadridMan's Dixie Home Page! eek Cute, fun, and interesting quiz though. Thanks for the link.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: kelar419

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/25/04 09:50 PM

Fun little quiz... it certainly nailed my southern accent (79% Dixie)! I may live in the Chicago area but my roots are for sure in the South, Virginia and New Oreleans (or should I say N'awlins wink ).
Kelly
Posted by: Booklady

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/25/04 10:59 PM

Fascinating! 52% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category. eek laugh
Posted by: JoeSambuca

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 12:56 AM

I'm 53% Dixie?
Can I still be a Yankee fan?? eek
Posted by: mencey

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 03:16 AM

60% Barely Dixie, sheesh
Posted by: ChrisR

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 06:00 AM

Having grown up in central Missouri, the Chicago area, and southern Indiana, I came out 52% Dixie. In looking at other answers on how my wife pronounces things (Wisconsin and Minnesota), she's 43% yankee. The linguistic locations of several pronunciations were things we had commented on before as well.
Posted by: Eddie

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 06:58 AM

I came out 52% Dixie, probably from having ived in Oklahoma and Texas for almost 25-yearseek

Y'all come back see us, heah!
Posted by: gazpacho

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 08:10 AM

38% Yankee, a definite Yankee. A yup!
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 08:19 AM

wink

Quote:
58% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.
Couldn't resist it, and I hadn't a clue what some of the questions meant anyway.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 08:26 AM

I'm glad Jo Anne tested the test. I never took you for a Southern Belle! wink hehehe... I was interested how NON-US'ins scored.
Posted by: Wolf

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 02:34 PM

50% Yankee. I guess having lived in Texas changed the reading somewhat, but I did have a bunch of Eastern answers that I'm trying to figure out as to how they came into my world, being from the Midwest.

A fun test. My wife ended up 52% Dixie, and that made sense, since she hails from Southern Indiana.

Just a few miles and an extra, "Ya'll!" can make the difference.

Wolf
Posted by: Chicagoan

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 05:48 PM

40% - yankee. I'm formerly from Michigan so I answered the "devil's night" question correctly

OK, I want to know if anyone calls a grocery bag a "poke". If I heard that in real life I think I would have to laugh. I may have to go to central appalacia so that I can say "can I have a poke for the milk? thanks."
Posted by: thetoro

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 06:41 PM

You are welcome people smile
Posted by: Zzeus11

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 08:30 PM

Quote:
86% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?
Who would've thought?

I grew up in scandinavia, after that lived in Canada for 17 years, really, south has been a home less than 10 years!!
Posted by: kelar419

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 02/26/04 09:06 PM

Ive got relatives in Virginia and on visits out there Ive for sure heard the term 'poke' used, though not by my family (originally from New Orleans!). I think mostly though its used up in the very very small isolated mountain towns. If you get out of the cities in Virginia you get a really different feel! Ive NEVER heard that term used out there in the bigger towns, big supermarkets, etc...
Just a thought, I don't live there, nor have I ever, just visited relatives smile
Kelly
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: dialect tester, are you yankee or dixie? - 03/01/04 05:04 PM

As a native Texan Im sad to say I only got 65% Dixie. I've been living in California too long! smile