HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!!

Posted by: Jo-Anne

HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 11:03 AM

Help!

For the last week or so I have been plagued by my pc opening 54 empty Internet Explorer Windows totally randomly.

It always stops at 54 and the only way to get rid of them, is to wait until they have all opened, click on the 'x' to close one of them, and then right click on the bar at the bottom and 'close group'.

Sometimes it happens every few minutes, sometimes with hours between.

It can be infuriating, especially if I am sitting with finger poised to bid a last 5p for a Matilda video or something on e-bay rolleyes

Anyone else ever had anything else like it?

It's driving me craaazy.

Thanks.

Jo
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 11:09 AM

Sorry, Jo. Sounds like you're infected. eek Be sure to run a virus-scan with the newest virus definitions NOW. It may very well be the Blaster worm (virus) or something else.. God forbid it's some NEW virus! YIKES! DO IT NOW!

You say it opens a new, EMPTY web browser window?? Surely it's not empty, is it? I mean, is there ANYTHING in the website address box? If so, what is it? Or does it say something like C:\something here ? Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 11:19 AM

Thanks MM

I've already run the virus scanner, but I'm doing it again.

Quote:
You say it opens a new, EMPTY web browser window?? Surely it's not empty, is it? I mean, is there ANYTHING in the website address box? If so, what is it? Or does it say something like C:\something here ?
No, it has nothing in at all. I'll double check next time it happens incase my memory isn't working correctly.

Should I be getting the newest virus definitions from somewhere other than my installed virus scanner which updates itself on-line regularly?

I know, not very clever am I? rolleyes

Thanks.

Jo

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 11:59 AM

OK - it's just happened again.

I was correct, the website address box is EMPTY.

When I look in History, it seems there are versions of windows I have previously had opened - but with a massive amount of prefix beforehand (They all seem to have this 'adopt' thing at the beginning, but they don't all have 'hotbar') e.g.

http://adopt.hotbar.com/adopt.jsp?l=2262&sz=pop&na=%b8%bd&pc=&g=&yb=&sys_id=0&r=j&bnum=778372&dom=news%2ebbc%2eco%2euk

Probably totally irrelevant, but thought I'd show you anyway.

Still scanning ...

Jo
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 02:56 PM

Yep, it sounds like a virus, or even a trojan or worm virus.

Sometimes online free scans (assuming you're passing these) are not as good as they should be. Try others.

I need your photo back in your profile. The other sheep are alright but I miss the nicer one. Baaaaa. wink
Posted by: Antonio

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 05:11 PM

Hotbar? Uhmmmm... no, it's not a virus. That kind of behaviour seems to me like spyware or a browser hijacker. Update your Sbybot S&D with the latest signature files and check if it can be removed with that.

Also have a look at Andrew Clover\'s Doxdesk page on "parasites".

If you can't removed it with Spybot or following the instructions at that web page, create a report with Spybot and send it to me by e-mail. I'll see what I can do.

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 05:31 PM

I remember Hotbar from a couple years ago. It was all the fashion. You could use these Hotbar "skins" on your browser and backgrounds for emails. It was a pretty idea but never took off. Sounds like it installed something something on there - maybe without your knowledge. You'll need to UNinstall it.

I just went to HOTBAR.com and you really can't do ANYTHING once you're there EXCEPT click on the "I AGREE TO THE TERMS OF USE. CLICK HERE!". So you click there and it AUTOMATICALLY begins downloading and installing. You can't hit the STOP button either - you can just close the window. There are no obvious instructions on their front page about how to go about UNinstalling it either.

UPDATE: It wasn't obvious at all (no link whatsoever) but I snooped around and found their UNlisted UNinstall instructions page HERE

Here are the instructions:
Quote:
To uninstall Hotbar from your computer please follow these steps:
1. Click "Start", "Settings" and choose "Control Panel".
2. Choose "Add/Remove Programs".
3. Find "Web Tools by Hotbar".
4. Click the "Add/Remove" button at the bottom right of the window.
5. Check both browser and email toolbars
6. Press the "Uninstall" Button.

You can also try using our uninstaller which can be downloaded by using the attached link :

http://hotbar.com/downloads/HbUninst.exe (Jo, I don't recommend trying this)

After download is complete, locate the file "HBUnInst.exe." on your computer.
Double-click this file to start the uninstall process and follow the on-screen instructions.
Good luck, Jo. Keep us posted. Saludos, MadridMan

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 06:11 PM

Here is the result from Andrew Clovers Doxdesk:

Quote:
Your browser appears to have the "HotBar" parasite installed. This software can present you with unwanted advertising, invade your on-line privacy and compromise your computer's security. It might have been installed without your knowledge. Information and removal instructions.

Your browser appears to have the "InternetWasher" parasite installed. This software may compromise your computer's security. It might have been installed without your knowledge. Information and removal instructions.
Sooooo - do I be brave and go ahead with the removal instructions provided by Andrew Clover?

I do have Zone Alarm firewally stuff installed - shouldn't this have protected me?

Thanks to everyone by the way cool

Ignacio - the picture? OK, I'll see what I can do - But you have to realise I have dyed my hair recently wink

Jo

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 07:28 PM

I don't know that guy nor it's site, so, I can't give advice on following instructions or not. I suppose you should, but lets wait for other's comments.

About your firewall: Usually protects you but many times we OPEN the gates through downloading files, attachments to mail, or chat utilities. You need to open the "ports" to be able to run these. If you let pass into your PC some files, you are opening the gate of your wall (firewall) to do so. Pirates can also get through some of the usually open ports (mail, browser, mesenger, ..) if there is a safety failure in Windows (a lot, it seems)it can get in without you doing anything.

Wll, thats what I think, I am no computer people. smile

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 07:28 PM

Jo, the free Zone Alarm firewall (NOTICE TO ALL WHO READ THIS!! GET ZONE ALARM FOR YOUR PC!! IT'S A NECESSITY THESE DAYS!!!!!) would help but not if you "contracted" this parasite BEFORE installing Zone Alarm and definitely not if you gave permission to download and install the program. Have you ever visited the HotBar.com website?

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 07:39 PM

Thanks to you both again.

Yes, it seems Hotbar was installed by family members rolleyes at one point - and this was before Zone Alarm was frown

I'll still wait until I get the go ahead from Antonio before I follow the removal instructions wink

Jo

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/28/03 09:21 PM

Jo
Make sure you approve of all your families PC works.
With kids i know its tough,but make sure they know the rules as to what they can DOWNLOAD.
My kids think its ok to get every game online going.
These games etc can cause huge probs..
Get the kids a Pc of there own .

Amazingly,bet your problems disappear.

Ish
Posted by: miche_dup1

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/29/03 03:05 AM

Jo, try olive oil! It's also a good conditioner.
baah :p

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/29/03 03:43 AM

spike1

... and who was it used hotbar first anyway? lol I seem to remember it was you that passed it on to me! wink Also, the main site to 'activate' it seems to be imira.com which I think is one of yours too rolleyes So, it's all your fault :p

Antonio

Looking for permission, sir, to remove as per Andrew Clover

miche

I've tried olive oil for just about everything - so do you have a specific one? Maybe this could be your niche market? cool

Ignacio

Is that better? wink

Jo

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/29/03 10:35 AM

OK

I'm preparing myself for uninstall rolleyes , but ....

What is regedit ? The uninstall instructions are as follows, but I don't know anything about the regedit thing - does anyone else?

Quote:
Removal
Should be removable from 'Add/Remove Programs' on the Control Panel, under the name 'HotBar' or 'Web Tools by Hotbar'.

Version 3 of the software leave some mess behind in the registry, which you can clean up by running regedit if you want. Keys you can delete:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hotbar
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Hotbar
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Hotbar
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\B195B3B3-8A05-11D3-97A4-0004ACA6948E
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform\Hotbar 3.0
Also, since checking with the Doxdesk, I seem to have 3 parasites now instead of 2 frown

I had nits earlier this summer, but this is worse rolleyes

Thanks everyone.

Jo
Posted by: Antonio

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/29/03 05:19 PM

Well, Madridman, Ignacio is right in his comments. If you read the information about Hotbar, you'll see one of its ways of distribution was bundled with iMesh.

Your firewall will let you go to a website and download iMesh. Hotbar will be installed during the installation of iMesh. Then, it will hijack your IE changing the configuration to direct your browser to the hotbar website. And, obviously, again the firewall will let you visit a website.

So, firewalls are a must nowadays, but can't protect you against everything.

---

Jo, regedit is the "registry editor". The "Registry" is where Windows stores most of the configuration information of the applications and about the system itself.

You have to go to "Start -> Run" and type "regedit". A window will be opened showing a Explorer where you can navigate through the Windows registry keys and values as if they were folders and files. All you have to do is find the keys in the article and delete them. But make sure you delete just those and nothing else. Modifying the registry can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

I've e-mails again Patrick Kolla (the author of Spybot) to see if he can add HotBar and Internet Washer to the next update.

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/29/03 07:03 PM

Antonio

I don't have much of a brain so I am not going to touch the registry rolleyes

I have sent you a Spybot report that I have created for you (actually I do feel quite clever after doing that wink )

Things do seem to be running a little smoother now cool

Thanks.

Jo

Re: HEEELP - 54 Windows !!!!! - 08/30/03 06:41 AM

Hehe, Jo. Wow! That's a real good photo! Phew! And dressed only with your hair. Mmmmmm.

wink :p

Well, the expert (Antonio) is in control, now he can guide you, and I'll learn something more in the process. smile I mean about your computer, not about photos. laugh

I think (Antonio? confused )
that you need, or at least should delete those entries from your register or the virus will probably reinstall and it could be worse than the first time. It is no t so difficult to delete the specified lines. If do not rely completely on yourself (computers may be tricky) wink , ask a friend who knows a little bit more, no need to be an expert either.