I like the flags...

Posted by: GranadaGirl

I like the flags... - 05/31/02 10:19 PM

So you're making some more changes, eh MM? I like the flag indicators to show if there are new replies to topics since your last log-in, it keeps to the whole feel of the board! How does everyone else feel?

Buen trabajo!

-GG
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: I like the flags... - 05/31/02 11:50 PM

Hey, thanks GranadaGirl! I've been looking for months for the appropriate icon and finally found it. I think it may take some getting used to for some people.. if people don't like it after a week I'll change them back or keep looking for something else. I welcome all feedback, either negative or positive. Thanks!

Have a nice weekend, everyone! I'm doing some painting at my parents' house. Woo Hoo! heehe..

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Asterault

Re: I like the flags... - 06/01/02 06:30 AM

Uh... no offense intented... makes it hard to look at the thing at work when there's big red and yellow everywhere.

I would prefer a simpler design with more normal colors, that looks like something 'professional' so that when people walk by your machine they don't notice anything. laugh
Posted by: esperanza

Re: I like the flags... - 06/01/02 07:48 AM

MM, I really like the flags! I understand what Asterault says, but for me(being a Spanish teache) it doesn't come into play. It probably makes it more obvious that I am working on something SPANISH laugh which is AOK with me!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I like the flags... - 06/01/02 10:04 AM

Hola MM
I like the new format-definately more stylish wink
Posted by: Puna

Re: I like the flags... - 06/01/02 10:36 AM

Another vote in favor of the new icons - We'll just have to tell people its rude to read over our shoulders!

Re: I like the flags... - 06/01/02 10:43 PM

You know, I never thought of it from Asterault's point of view...trying to read the board from work...what I usually do when I'm at work anyway is just make the screen smaller so that I can easily click off of it when I have to... NOT that I condone using your work time for such persuits, but your boss should at least be glad you're not on monster.com!! rolleyes

-GranadaGirl
Posted by: Chica

Re: I like the flags... - 06/02/02 02:49 PM

In this country where less is more, I have to agree with Asterault. The red and yellow everywhere is sensory overload. Must be a Philadelphia thing. laugh However, I really like the addition of the Spanish flag.

I wonder if so much "espaņolismo" (yes, I know this page is about Spain) is offensive to our Spanish members. Spaniards, as a whole, donīt rally around their flag too much as we Americans have international fame for doing. But Iīll let those members speak for themselves.

I like the chat button at the top of the message board. Is there anyway that it can open a new window rather than changing the current window?

Nice job on the continual updates MM. Great way to keep the site "fresh" smile
Posted by: Shawn

Re: I like the flags... - 06/02/02 04:20 PM

I like the flags!!! Interesting point Chica about the less prominent nature of the Spanish flag in Spain in comparison to the ubiquitous American flag in the States. I generally agree with you, but I canīt tell you how many Spaniards were walking around the Plaza Mayor here with Spanish flags on account of the World Cup. I also saw quite few bars and restaurants with flags. Maybe, "espaņolismo" is stronger than some want to admit, and Iīm not talking about the other team in Barcelona laugh
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: I like the flags... - 06/02/02 05:01 PM

Thanks all for the input on the new flags icons.. Keep it coming!
I'm pretty sure the whole Spanish flag thing for many Spaniards is too much and, in fact, "FACHA", for A LOT of them. I always proudly tell my ladyfriend, "Soy facha para Espaņa" and she just shakes her head and laughs. In her house you would NEVER find a Spanish flag - not because she's not proud of her country, but because she doesn't feel she needs to be a "flag waver" as we "Americans" are. wink

Chica, I can most certainly make clicking the "CHAT NOW" button at the top right of these pages open a new window, but you know, a site where EVERYTHING you click opens a new window wink just gets SO annoying. rolleyes If it's a photo or going to an andertiser's site, well that's different, but to "surf" around is often better if you go directly from one to the other. NOW, if I could make it just pop up the java applet in a box now THAT could be cool. I'll look into that. Thanks for that suggestion.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: I like the flags... - 06/02/02 08:47 PM

That would be cool, to click on the 'chat now' button and open up a new screen. That way we can still check/post messages on the message board and not loose our spot, and chat at the same time!
Posted by: Fernando

Re: I like the flags... - 06/02/02 09:42 PM

Where are the flags? I don't see them frown

By the way, the first time I came to this board seeing that much red and yellow was very shocking. You would never find that in a spanish website smile

It is not that it is disgusting, it is, as Chica, Shawn and MM have said, that it is rare.

I have realize that I don't have any single flag or symbol in my home. As MM's girlfriend says, it is not that I'm not proud of being spaniard, but for some reason we don't make it as explicit as americans.

Let's have this website as the thing that fills the flag void in my home smile I have get used to the colors, and I like them smile

Fernando
Posted by: taravb

Re: I like the flags... - 06/02/02 09:48 PM

It's interesting to think of style differences between Spanish websites and American ones...one of the things I have noticed when using Spanish sites is that they seem to use more multimedia than American ones...has anyone else noticed that? More things move; there are more sounds, etc. They seem to have some pretty savvy web designers over there!

I think the flags are cute. My officemates at work already know about my Spain addiction, so it's not a big deal! It looks a bit like Cibeles after a big win, doesn't it? wink
Posted by: Asterault

Re: I like the flags... - 06/03/02 05:15 AM

I got that little crack MM... now now be nice Madrid is big enough for the both of you.
Posted by: Castiza

Re: I like the flags... - 06/03/02 03:16 PM

I like the flags. It's nice to see the Spanish flags without thinking of the "hidden intentions" it may have. I mean, Spaniards, due to the aditional meaning the Spanish flag had during the Franco times and the "overdose of patriotism" Spaniards suffered,and as a pendulum, we leant to the other "patriotism" side. It'll take some more time to forget all the political connotations the flags had...
Posted by: pim

Re: I like the flags... - 06/03/02 03:52 PM

Fernando,

I can't see 'las banderitas' in my laptop either (so as a matter of fact I've been wondering what the h*** you were all talking about for the past few days, ha, ha!)
But I was able to see them today using my parents' pc. Excuse my enormous ignorance in these matters but, why is that???

I don't mind the 'banderitas', but I hope such an "attention graber webpage" doesn't get me into too much trouble at my new job.... wink (Which BTW I'll start in on Thursday and not today after all; meaning I have a little bit more time to party, yes!!! laugh )
Posted by: Fernando

Re: I like the flags... - 06/03/02 07:23 PM

Yes! Today is the first time I've seen the "banderitas" Pim, it seems it
takes a couple of days to the cache to update the image.

I can't stop to think what my college mates would think if they see that I'm
visiting a site with such amount of spanish flags laugh hahahah!

Fernando
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: I like the flags... - 06/04/02 05:41 PM

pim and Fernando: Too see the flags, follow these directions:

Log onto "www.upgradefromwindows3.1.now" and follow the instructions under the heading "How do I see more than eight colors and those little pictures, too?" :p

If the yellow/red gets too annoying for some, MM, you could always seasonally change them (the Basque "ikurriņa" makes a great Christmas addition). laugh laugh laugh
Posted by: Wolf

Re: I like the flags... - 06/07/02 06:52 AM

Not being one who offers his "opinion" too often wink it's difficult for me to say whether or not I like the flags. But, to be honest, the colors clash with my computer -- eek I therefore vote that Spain change its flag to colors that will match up better with my beige system, so it will look better.

I've been thinking of sending the Spanish government an e-mail indicating that the best colors for the flag might be more "earth tones," like desert fawn, and sierra green, but I suppose they'd just ignore my request just like the one I made about having them change all currency to American dollars, so it would be easier for me to handle the conversions when I'm in Spain. I thought they would be receptive to it, but "Oh Well!" rolleyes

I suppose that if I sent them an e-mail requesting that there be a McDonalds and Burger King placed on every corner, along with a gas station and Subway sandwich shop, they'd probably ignore that too. Go figure! They sure aren't receptive to creative ideas, are they? laugh

Wolf (Who's wearing his rose colored glasses today - cool )

Rose - No pun intended. You're still my favorite Rose by any name - smile

[Message edited by a multitude of cartoon characters leaping from my TV set, where my grand-daughter is watching them before 6AM! rolleyes
Gawd! I gotta get a life! confused ]

[Message edited to remove 65 graemlins!]