Air conditioning in Madrid hostals

Posted by: Xacara

Air conditioning in Madrid hostals - 04/11/02 03:49 PM

Is air conditioning a necessity in Madrid hostals in late May through mid-June (which is when I'll be going)? If so, can anyone recommend any good Madrid hostals with a/c?

Gracias!
Posted by: Nativo

Re: Air conditioning in Madrid hostals - 04/11/02 04:00 PM

Even though most hotels will be equiped, I don't think it's an issue for late May early June in Madrid. High temperatures will go from let's say 27ºC during the day to 18-20º at night.
Posted by: Q-Man

Re: Air conditioning in Madrid hostals - 04/11/02 04:05 PM

Hi verybody!... Reading some old posts it seems to me that air onditioning could be an issue in some hostales. We will be in Madrid from May 29 to June 25. My understanding is that air conditioning may not be necessary in June due to cool nights. Is this tru?

Ed
Posted by: aidance

Re: Air conditioning in Madrid hostals - 04/15/02 04:52 PM

Try staying at the Hostal TIJCAL . They charge extra for a/c, so if you don't need it you won't pay. We stayed there 3 nights last July, and it was excellent, right off Plaza Mayor. We lucked out and didn't need the a/c, but we were glad to know we could have had it if needed.
Posted by: Nativo

Re: Air conditioning in Madrid hostals - 04/15/02 06:02 PM

Q-Man, even though sometimes it turns warm in june, normally you should be able to be without a/c in the hostel. Nights will be rether tolerable. In normal years there is a significant difference between night and daily temperatures.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Air conditioning in Madrid hostals - 04/15/02 09:02 PM

I really can't speak for all hostels in Spain, but most of them do not have air conditioning I don't think. Few have self-operation either. I do recall that Hostal Persal (pricey, but more like a hotel) next to the Plaza Santa Ana has individual A/C units in each window.

Those which do often only run it in the early evening hours and then it's shut off for the night. Remember, while summer months in Madrid can be HOT, the air is dry and less uncomfortable, especially at night.

Good luck and please let us know what you found during your stay. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Q-Man

Re: Air conditioning in Madrid hostals - 04/18/02 12:50 PM

This is good and timely information(for me wink I leave at the end of May), and air conditioning is a key aspect for me to get a good night sleep.

I am curious abour hostal owners (or managers) policies about guests having a coffe machine in the room. I drink coffe a lot :o .How about washing and drying clothes in the room. Do they complaint about using too much energy, or water, etc.? I remember back in my college days I used to live on these apartments (electricity included) that did not allow space heaters or any electrical appliance. I am just curious...