Southern Madrid Hostels

Posted by: BERT

Southern Madrid Hostels - 01/16/02 02:34 PM

I will be introduced to the great city of Mdrid on Feb 5th! I am scoping out a good hostel to stay in for maybe about the first week or so that I am in Madrid. Are there any cheap ones in the southern part of the city? My first order of business will be to find a more permanant residence untill the end of June as I will be studying in the Universidad Carlos III. (that is in Getafe on the southern outskirts of the city) Not a big tourist attraction, I know, but has anyone ever heard of Carlos III? I figure that in five months, my wife and I will be able to see it all in Madrid. We can hardly wait! laugh .
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Southern Madrid Hostels - 01/17/02 05:23 AM

You won't find many hostels outside the city centre. The vast majority of us are located in the central part.

As you said, Getafe is not a tourist place but it's a big village. It should be cheaper (though not easier) to find a flat there. I guess the ones near the university are more expensive and this year it seems very difficult to get one anywhere in Madrid.

As for the university, I''ve studied there but at Leganés campus. Carlos III is a modern university and you'll find they have more facilities and they are better organised than in other universities in Madrid. Unlike my previous university (Politécnica), at Carlos III they make intensive use of the internet. Check out http://www.uc3m.es for more information. They also have short guide in English for foreign students.
Posted by: BERT

Re: Southern Madrid Hostels - 01/17/02 01:34 PM

Thanks Antonio! So, what did you study in Carlos III? The business classes I will be taking will transfer directly back over to Arizona State University. I wonder how it will be different than ASU. Definitly a lot smaller compared to the 45,000 students that go to ASU! I am looking forward to the change and to sharpening my spanish skills. I wonder what the availabilty for flats is right now? I can't seem to arrange anything on-line or over the phone from here. I sure hope I can find something suitable upon arrival. Do you know how much one euro is in US dollars? I am sorting through the hostels listed on this site. They all seem fairly comparable judging from their web sites alone. Anyone out there that can recommend one above the others, hands down?
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Southern Madrid Hostels - 01/17/02 04:12 PM

I've studied Computer Science Engineering.

I don't know how many students there are at Carlos III but, since they are split into 3 campuses (Getafe, Leganés and the new Colmenarejo), you'll find it a very tiny university. I think Universidad Autónoma has more or less the size of AUS. All the students at universities in Madrid sum up about 250,000 students. We have 6 public universities and a few private ones.

I think it's going to be difficult to arrange something on-line but you can try to e-mail the university. As I told you, Carlos III is fairly good "computerized" compared with many other universities. They should help you or at least give you some advice regarding flats in Getafe.

As for the Euro / Dollar exchange rate is something quite easy for you because 1 dollar is approximately 1 euro (currently 1 dollar = 0.89 euros). Therefore, just knowing the price is euros will give you an approximate idea of the price in dollars.