Madrid Honey Moon Hotel

Posted by: Pammie

Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/08/02 05:40 PM

Looking for a fashionable hotel in Madrid at end of May as touring around Spain on Honey moon. Any suggestions? Haven't got too big a budget. smile

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/08/02 05:58 PM

Hi Pammy!

Congratulations on your forthcoming honeymoon (and wedding!). What a great way to spend it - travelling round Spain.

If you use the searchbutton (located top right on the message board - it's only little, look carefully), you can type in what you are looking for (i.e. hotel madrid etc) and you will get many many threads to wade through. All of which will probably add to your confusion as to where to stay, but should enlighten you.

I stayed with my husband at the Hotel Carlos V in Madrid when we had a special holiday together in May 2000. I can't recommend it highly enough. If you type in Carlos V in the search thingy I think you will find that others found it good too.

The breakfast room was particularly wonderful and felt very romantic. After all, a breakfast is more important on a honeymoon than a bedroom right? rolleyes rolleyes

Good hunting through the messages and have a brilliant honeymoon.

Jo
Posted by: JJP

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/08/02 06:00 PM

Hi Pammie,

If I may ask, what do you want to budget? Just to help us help you...

I recently stayed at the NH Nacional . The rooms were very stylish, good service, and excellent maid service. Views of the Real Jardin Botánico were had, and the price was €69,12 per night. The price was a "special" through the wedding we all were attending, but I saw on the Internet for only 1.000 ESP more.

I would wait for a few Madrileños to give you some good local advice, but I mention the Nacional because the price/value is quite good, and the location is wonderful.

Their website states that it's in "The Art Triangle" (Reina-Sofía, Thyssen, AND Prado) - it is close to a lot of culture. If you're looking to experience Madrid's great night-life it's only five minute walk from a very lively area (someone help me with the name of this area... smile .

Around the corner from Atocha (and the Metro stop) - you could take the AVE from here for a high-speed bullet-train to Sevilla (very romantic smile ; is just accross the Paseo del Prado from the vast Retiro park. They say Madrid has the most "green-space," or parks, of any European capital.

The Ritz and Palace are probably the most exclusive, romantic, and even better located to all the sites I mentioned. Their prices, however, are higher than the NH Nacional.

Felicitaciones (on the wedding)...

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: JJP ]
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/08/02 06:07 PM

Jo-Anne offers some VERY good advice as always. If you give us your budget limits we could probably help more. One who has a small budget will have somewhat of a difficult time finding something really special in Madrid or any city in Spain.

Again, not sure about your budget, but if you want SPECIAL for a couple nights, why not try a parador somewhere OUTSIDE of Madrid, like maybe the one in Segovia , Ávila , Sigüenza , or Chinchon ? Visit www.Parador.es to find some around Madrid. These places are almost always very romantic and in nice locations. Plus, if it's in a smaller town/village, it'll probably be even more special. But yes, I know, IT'S NOT MADRID! heheeh.. smile

Happy Honeymoon!! I can't think of a MORE ROMANTIC place to spend it than in Spain herself. Mmmmm.... I envy you. wink

JJP, I just checked the Hotel NH Nacional website and they list a double room at 192.00€ !! eek eek eek That's $171 US DOLLARS per night! eek You must have had a REAL special!!! WOW!!

I'm beginning to notice a trend across all the hotels in Spain now that they've changed to Euros. ALL seem to be considerably MORE expensive than last year

Saludos, MadridMan

Posted by: JJP

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/08/02 06:26 PM

Outside of Madrid, as MM suggests, is a hotel system we could all be very jealous of (I believe government sponsored - or started).

The \"Parador\" system are usually historic Spanish buildings often offering luxury and stylish rooms - Spanish style.

They are not inexpensive, but also not over-priced.

>>>>

Sorry MM, I didn't see you had already included the link and info on Paradores. I still say based on friends' comments these are GREAT places to stay.

Two votes for the parador system...

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: JJP ]
Posted by: laduque

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/08/02 06:54 PM

I second the NH Nacional, I think i've posted on this before. Anyway, when my parents have stayed there, in 2000, the price was 134- U.S. dollars a night. But you know inflation... rolleyes
Also, try the Bancotel coupons as mentioned earlier....
Have a happy honeymoon!!!!

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/08/02 07:06 PM

I agree with JJP. As some of you may have read my write-up of the Parador de Tordesillas in the " paradors " thread, it's about 2 hours from Madrid - maybe a little far for you- but very very affordable at about $55/night (mid-week) and in a beautiful, old, Spanish hacienda. It was very romantic... Wow. eek (mind-blowing) wink (wink! wink!) :p (panting) Hahahaa... And it was outside the small village of Tordesillas along the Duero River in Castilla.

I'd say, of all those close-to-Madrid paradors I listed above, the closest is the one in Chinchon and it's very NICE.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/09/02 02:47 AM

I love Chinchon. It's quite small, but very atmospheric. Centres around a very old bull ring which is sloping and with galleried buildings looking onto it. The Parador is about 50 mtrs from this. There is also an interesting church on the hill overlooking the town, and a castle too.

Just don't go when they are filming a 'Lenor' (fabric conditioner) advert like I did! Having said that, that was very interesting in itself!

It takes about one hour by one bus to get to Chinchon form Madrid.

I would think that to get something a bit special at not too great a cost, a Parador would be a brilliant idea.

Think I might pretend that my next holiday is a honeymoon1 laugh laugh laugh

Jo
Posted by: gsobotta

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/09/02 07:42 AM

I am surprised no one mentioned http://www.bancotel.com/. It is an affordable way to stay in nice accommodations in Spain at reduced prices. My wife and I stayed at the Palace and the Villa Magna in Madrid, and the King Alphonus XIII in Seville for $ 125.00 a night. The website will help through the entire process.

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/09/02 08:55 AM

But can one use Bancotel for just one or two nights?? Seems to me one could only purchase "books" of 5. Guess I too will have to visit their website.
Posted by: gsobotta

Re: Madrid Honey Moon Hotel - 01/10/02 08:34 PM

I purchased four books of five checks each. I used six checks for 2 nights at The Palace in Madrid, two checks for 2 nights at the Hotel Conquistador in Cordoba, and nine checks for 3 nights for the Hotel Alfonso XIII in Seville on consecutive nights.

I used the last 3 checks at the Villa Magna for my last night in Madrid.

I paid for them by credit card, and they were delivered to my door in four days.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]