Lodging in Toledo / Segovia?

Posted by: wesrick

Lodging in Toledo / Segovia? - 07/05/06 08:59 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to make plans for my September trip to Spain. Are there any really great places to stay in Toledo or Segovia? I'd like to stay at an old castle or really nice place.. something that would really be memorable. Any help is appreciated.
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Lodging in Toledo / Segovia? - 07/06/06 09:25 AM

If you wish to stay in old castles and historic buildings, you are going to the right place. Spain has renovated many of these into "Paradores."

These renovated castles are fabulous! Look at this website and see if you find a nice location for your stay in Toledo:http://parapromotions-spain.com/parador/spain/toledo.html

It is a renovated Manor house called Parador de Toledo Hotel Conde de Orgaz

Quote:
Sitting on the top of Cerro del Emperador (The Emperor's Hill), this Parador has an excellent view over the city of Toledo Seen from the Parador is the river below the old arab fortress and the cathedral of Toledo.

The Cathedral is said to be the richest in Spain and has in its possession several paintings by Rubens, Bellini, Titian and El Greco.

Another of the treasures of the cathedral is the giant gold monstrance which weighs almost one half a ton. It is said to contain the first gold brought back from the Americas by Columbus. In addition. there are two illustrated thirteenth century bibles which are worth seeing.

El Greco's most famous painting is in the church of Santo Tome. It is titled 'The Burial of Count Orgaz". The name of the Parador is in recognition of this famous painting.

The interior is spacious and has luxury furnishing with comfortable furniture, wooden beams, staircases and banisters.

The Arab influence of the area is reflected in the Parador in the rugs, copper ware and decorative tiles.

The site also lists the prices for September. This place was recommended to me by member Wolf, a few years ago.

The Parador in Segovia is located on El Terminillo estate, and is more modern than the one in Toledo.
Posted by: wesrick

Re: Lodging in Toledo / Segovia? - 07/06/06 10:44 PM

Excellent!

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm going to check prices to make sure it's not too far out there.

I appreciate your input.