Areas of Downtown Madrid

Posted by: traveler22

Areas of Downtown Madrid - 01/14/06 03:57 PM

Hi!

I am planning a visit to Madrid this spring to attend a conference being held at the Melia Castilla. I am planning to extend my stay considerably as I have long wanted to visit Spain. I am trying to figure out my accommodations (first in Madrid then I plan to visit some other cities). Having not been to Madrid before I'm having some difficulty figuring out which areas are close to what. Since I'm trying to find a hotel for considerably less than the Melia Castilla (I'm looking for @60 - 80/per night) I was looking at the resources on lodging on the main page. My question...which of these areas is still close to the Melia Castilla and do you any of you know if hotels in this price range are comparable to say a two or three star hotel in the States. I know the star system is different in Spain but I'm not sure of the equivalents. While I'm well traveled in the States, and neighboring countries I don't have much of clue in Spain. Any advise you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks lori
Posted by: GoMadrid

Re: Areas of Downtown Madrid - 01/14/06 04:52 PM

I suspect that the Meliá Castilla is somewhere up the Paseo de la Castellana. Madrid has a great Metro system, so it is not difficult to get from point A to point B. For my money, I would not want to stay up the Castellana (unless, of course, someone else was paying for it). I would stay at the Hostal Adriano, which I have done twice. It is near Puerta del Sol, which is where you want to be. If you need to know the difference between a Hotel and a Hostal, you can find that on the MadridMan website, or just ask, and someone will be glad to explain. Check out Hostal Adriano at:

www.hostaladriano.com Good luck!
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Areas of Downtown Madrid - 01/14/06 05:50 PM

I will second the vote for Adriano, having stayed there a dozen or more times. It is right in the middle of the "entertainment" area with movies, bars, restaurants and theaters close by and provides great service and facilities for the price. Taxis in Madrid are relatively inexpensive and the Metro is dirt cheap, so mobility will be no problem.

You can check out my (and others) opinions here: Adriano Review

Also, do your own search of MadridMan.com. I am sure you will like what you see!

Matt
Posted by: traveler22

Re: Areas of Downtown Madrid - 01/16/06 11:03 AM

Thanks, the Adriano looks very much in line of what I was looking for. Their website was very helpful - thanks for the suggestion.