Madrid apartment info please

Posted by: slp4now

Madrid apartment info please - 01/09/06 09:59 AM

Hello, My girlfriend and i will be relocating to Madrid in mid September. Hopefully some of you veterans can help us out with the following questins: What is the average rent for a studio/1BR in a decent neighborhood? Rent rules ( first month/security deposit required ?), Monthly average for utilities expenses? Nice neighborhoods to live in? Contacts for long-term apartment rentals? Thank you in advance for everyone who takes the time to post a reply!
Posted by: Silvita

Re: Madrid apartment info please - 01/09/06 02:31 PM

Hola! I just got back from Madrid and here are my opinions on where to live, how much to expect to pay.

A studio will run you anywhere from 550 to 800 euros depending on size and location. A one bedroom can go for more, probably starting at around 700 euros. A deposit is always required and expenses for utilities are not very bad. Cost of living in Madrid is, in my experience, low compared to the U.S. at least. In fact, I was in Mexico City over Christmas right after coming home from Madrid and I thought groceries were exhorbitant after being in Spain.

Some of the nicer neighborhoods are Salamanca, anywhere near Serrano and to a lesser extent, Chamberi. Malasa~na is good for young people, as is Arguelles (lots of students). I lived in Tetuan and I loved it. I wouldn't live anywhere else since it is right on the number 1 line and has lots of ethnic restaurants and grocery stores. I like diversity. Not everyone does.

Good luck!
Posted by: mse924

Re: Madrid apartment info please - 01/10/06 07:48 PM

Prices can really depend. When Ilived in Spain (last spring) I lived in an apartment where my roommate and I both paid 400 Euros each and that included all utilities. The apartment was in Arguelles--kind of in the middle of the Arguelles, Moncloa, and Quevedo metro stops. I loved Arguelles because there were a lot of students...but not a lot of student life. There's also a lot of nice apartments in the Salamanca area--at surprisingly reasonable prices. I had 2 friends who lived in that area with two other guys in a 3 BR and they all paid less per person than me and my roommate.

The key thing is to try to negotiate...my roommate and I got about 100 Euros knocked off our rent just by talking to the landlord.