Madrid - Hostal Plaza D'Ort ?

Posted by: treee

Madrid - Hostal Plaza D'Ort ? - 09/22/05 11:13 AM

hiya

some friends and i are planning to spend few days in madrid and i'm struggling to find cheap but decent accomodation for us. all the hostals we'd like to stay in seem to be fully booked (our own fault for leaving it so late) or haven't responded to my emails.

has anyone stayed at hostal plaza d\'ort ?

they have rooms available but thought i'd check here first to see if anyone has first-hand experience of it.

ta!
treee
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid - Hostal Plaza D'Ort ? - 09/22/05 11:26 AM

Hi, treee! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!

While you're waiting for "fresh" reviews, be sure to conduct a SEARCH using keywords MADRID HOSTAL PLAZA D'ORT and I think you'll find a few. You'll likely even find my review of my tour of the establishment back in 2000.

And if you do stay here, would you please return to this/your thread for and give us your own personal review? Thanks! Enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid - Hostal Plaza D'Ort ? - 09/22/05 11:50 AM

thanks for the welcome

of course, will definitely return and post a review of whichever hostal we stay in.

really wish i'd started looking sooner - these forums are fantastic. oh well, my next trip will be a little more organised wink

Re: Madrid - Hostal Plaza D'Ort ? - 09/22/05 04:04 PM

MadridMan, perhaps you can answer this question...

what's the difference between a "medium bath" and a "complete bath"???

confused

i now have a choice between hostal plaza d\'ort and hotel lopez . not an easy choice, given the very positive comments i've found about both.

we're only in madrid from thursday to monday, to celebrate a friend's 30th birthday and are planning to do sightseeing as well as experiencing a fair bit of nightlife.

decisions, decisions... if anyone has any advice, please share it!

Re: Madrid - Hostal Plaza D'Ort ? - 09/22/05 06:11 PM

treee wrote:
Quote:
what's the difference between a "medium bath" and a "complete bath"???
I've looked on both hostel's websites and can't find this. But it would appear to be a literal translation from Spanish to English. If that's what we're seeing here a "complete bath" would be a complete bathroom set with toilet, shower, and sink. A "medium bath" would most likely only be either JUST a sink or could also be a sink and a shower but no toilet - meaning the toilet/bathroom would be "down the hall" and shared among other guests.

The Hostal Plaza D'Ort is right next to the famed Plaza Santa Ana. This plaza has loads of bars and terrazas around the edges of the central plaza. It's also close to Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor and is on the edge of Huertas where there are lots of bars/restaurants too.

Hostal López, as you know by now, is located in the Huertas neighborhood on a pedestrian street. It could even be quieter than Hostal Plaza D'Ort. But no matter where you stay, an "interior room" will be quieter than a streetside room. - but interior rooms don't have a view of anything but a central airshaft. I always take a streetside room because I like to stand out on the small balcony.

Hope that helps! Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Ainata

Re: Madrid - Hostal Plaza D'Ort ? - 09/28/05 12:38 PM

I have also booked a single at Plaza D'Ort for early October, but the thing that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable after reading some reviews on other hostals is that the only booking confirmation I received from them was(quote)

We confirm the reservation. Thank you.

Yours faithfully:
HOSTAL PLAZA D?ORT
(unquote)
Will this be enough to get a room on arrival? How good are they at keeping their e-mail reservations ( just read stories about hostals telling the guests there had been no reservation made to their name, no room available, different rate per night, etc. ) Or should I now worry?
Thanks!

Another question- do they offer any breakfast and how good it is ?

Re: Madrid - Hostal Plaza D'Ort ? - 09/28/05 12:49 PM

Hello, Ainata, and welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board! smile

Your quoted reservation confirmation should be enough. But I would recommend printing and taking/showing their confirmation which should include the date/time as well as your original reseration request as long as the date is in English and not Russian (your home/country, I believe). Many smaller establishments like "hostales" still use a rather primitive method of reservations. I know many that take/give them using a kind of reservation log book and write with pencil. In part, because of this reservation method the reservations do sometimes, rarely, get changed/overwritten/lost. Oftentimes, in these cases, they'll call to a nearby establishment and find a room for you at the same price. This can be understandably upsetting to many travelers. Luckily, I haven't heard of this kind of thing for a few years now.

You might re-email them a few days before your arrival just to re-reconfirm the reservation.

And, no, they don't offer food at "hostales" but there are a number of places for breakfast right in the area where you'll be. Most all the bars in the Plaza Santa Ana will serve some kind of baked goods, churros, porras, or some breakfast sweets. You won't have any problem.

Enjoy your time in Madrid! And would you please return to this thread to give your review of Hostal Plaza D'Ort upon your return? Future travelers can then use your information to help them make their own choices. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Ainata

Re: Madrid - Hostal Plaza D'Ort ? - 10/01/05 01:22 PM

Dear MadridMan,
I appreciate you rcomment very much, hope everything will be all right with my reservation and there will be room wating for me when I arrive to Plaza D'Ort. I will definately post my review of the hostal here on ce I'm back