Madrid: Tryp Hotels on or near Gran Via - advisable?

Posted by: WillTravel

Madrid: Tryp Hotels on or near Gran Via - advisable? - 06/11/05 04:07 AM

My daughter and I will be in Madrid in August. I got an excellent email offer for various Tryp hotels in Madrid from Sol Melia.
http://www.solmelia.com/sol/promociones/..._Junio_2005.jsp

I looked at the list of Tryp hotels that appear centrally located on or near Gran Via. These prices include breakfast, and I have found that I prefer to get breakfast at the hotel. My main concern is that I've read that Gran Via is a seedy street and not advisable to stay on, particularly for two women (my daughter is 14). Is this a realistic concern? My original choice was Hostal Marlasca at Calla de la Cruz 14 (southwest of Puerta del Sol) for 46 Euros not including breakfast.

Here's the Madrid list of the Tryp hotels I'm considering. I'm inclined to book Tryp Cibeles. Would there be any drawbacks compared to Hostal Marlasca? Would any of the other choices be better?

Tryp Ambassador **** Madrid 68,00EUR
Tryp Cibeles **** Madrid 68,00EUR
Tryp Gran Vía *** Madrid 57,00EUR
Tryp Menfis **** Madrid 68,00EUR
Tryp Rex *** Madrid 55,00EUR
Tryp Washington *** Madrid 55,00EUR
Tryp Atocha **** Madrid 68,00EUR

Thanks for your help.
Posted by: GoMadrid

Re: Madrid: Tryp Hotels on or near Gran Via - advisable? - 06/11/05 08:14 PM

Wow!! These are tremendous rates for some very good hotels.

You do not need be afraid of the Gran Via, and the Cibeles should be just fine. It is a very vibrant street, and you and your daughter will feel comfortable.

I wouldn't rule out the Atocha either. It was completely re-done a couple of years ago, so it should be nice. The location of the Ambassador seems good too.

Have a good trip. And if you are a Starbucks fan, there is one on the Gran Via at Callao, which is not far from the Cibeles.
Posted by: Bev

Re: Madrid: Tryp Hotels on or near Gran Via - advisable? - 06/11/05 11:47 PM

Recently stayed at Hotel Atlantic on Grand Via and it's a perfect area. Only there is a lot of construction on the sidewalk. I believe there was a Tryp hotel right near us and it was fine. THe area is close to everything and close to transportation also.

Re: Madrid: Tryp Hotels on or near Gran Via - advisable? - 06/11/05 11:47 PM

Thanks GoMadrid and Bev, that's very reassuring. It's hard to pass up the opportunity to stay in a 4* hotel for those prices. This deal is good if you book by June 25.
Posted by: jmvaco

Re: Madrid: Tryp Hotels on or near Gran Via - advisable? - 06/13/05 12:13 PM

I like the Tryp Gran Via They have a large Breakfast buffet with a veiw of Gran Via. They are next to the Metro. Sol is a 5 minute walk. Mac Donalds is next door for your 14yr old

Re: Madrid: Tryp Hotels on or near Gran Via - advisable? - 06/14/05 05:53 AM

Tryp Gran Via (at Gran Via 25) and Tryp Cibeles (Gran Via 34 with the Zara store on the first floors) appear to be very close together. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other? Tryp Gran Via has terrible reviews on TripAdvisor, which is why I was worried about it. But it is 11 Euros cheaper obviously.
Posted by: madsue

Re: Madrid: Tryp Hotels on or near Gran Via - advisable? - 07/12/05 04:46 AM

I am sure you will have booked by now, but for others following!! I have stayed in the Tryp Gran Via, and have to say that it was very, very noisy, as they gave me Room 101 (!) directly overlooking Gran Via. The windows didn´t shut so I had street noise all night long. If I used it again I would make sure I asked for an inside room!!