Madrid: Need advice where to stay.

Posted by: yamaneko

Madrid: Need advice where to stay. - 04/26/05 03:54 PM

My wife and I will be making our first trip to Spain on the 11th, and will be staying 6 nights. We want to stay in a hostel. We are mainly going for the MOTORTEC SHOW thats being held at Parque Ferial Juan Carlos, Madrid, 28042. But we also want to do some siteseeing as well. Id like to stay close to the show, but didnt see any hostals near there. Are there any that you guys know of?

Another important thing is internet access. I guess that park has a WIFI spot, but i would like internet in the room if possible.

I could always do the holiday in express for 65 dollars, but id like something a little less main stream. Language isnt a problem since we speak spanish. But im looking for something 30-50 EU a night, with a private bathroom. Should i just get one in the plaza del sol area? Or is there anything close to our expo area? Thanks
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid: Need advice where to stay. - 04/26/05 04:58 PM

Hello yamaneko! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board!

I don't think you'll find any hostels (called "hostales" in Spain - not to be confused with YOUTH hostels which are called "albergues juveniles" - as you probably already know since you speak Spanish) in the area of the show. Since this is a touristy/business/corporate area you'll really only find hotels and most are pricey, I'm sure.

Take a look at the " Madrid Hotels near FITUR/Parque Ferial Juan Carlos I ? " thread. There, I detail a number of hotels within walking distance of the Parque Ferial Juan Carlos I - but no mention of hostels, I'm afraid.

If you do decide to stay in the city center, anything around Puerta del Sol is considered CENTRAL and very well-located. So you want someplace with internet access, private bathroom, and, something in the 30-50 Euros range. You're almost perfectly describing the popular and often-reviewed Hostal Adriano . It's just off the Puerta del Sol, well decorated, free internet access, and quite well-thought-of by a number of our members here. Conduct a SEARCH to find dozens of postings/reviews about them. Only drawback is that their elevator is NOW being installed so.... walking up the 5-flights of stairs may or may not be a challenge for you. If you need assistance, they've been known to come down to help carry UP your luggage upon your arrival. The ONLY difference is a double there goes for 58 Euros per night. Keep in mind that few places have in-room internet available.

Can anyone else recommend/suggest a place within yamaneko's parameters/requirements?

Good luck and enjoy your stay in Madrid. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: Need advice where to stay. - 04/27/05 02:49 AM

Thanks for the information. I was going to start another thread in the transportation thread, but might as well ask here.

If i do end up staying around the puerta del sol area, what do you suggest i do for the week? Rent a car to travel to the expo each day? Or is it more economical to use the public transporation each day? Im not a picky person...i used to live in brooklyn, and am used to public transporation, just am not sure which is the way to go.
Posted by: spanishl

Re: Madrid: Need advice where to stay. - 04/27/05 07:04 AM

Hello,

I would highly adviced you to use public transportation in Madrid. It is very good and perfectly save and there's a subway station at the Parque Ferial Juan Carlos I (campo de las naciones), so you can stay at the city center and be at the fair within minutes. If you'd like to make short trips to towns nearby Madrid (El Escorial, Alcala de Henares), you can still use public transportation (trenes de cercania), and even if you are planning to visit Toledo, Avila, Segovia you can still use "regionales" trains.

check these URLs for further info:

http://www.metromadrid.es/
http://www.renfe.es/cercanias/madrid/index.html
http://www.renfe.es/regionales/

Un saludo,

Re: Madrid: Need advice where to stay. - 04/27/05 05:28 PM

Thanks for the link, that worked out, i can see how to use the subway for pretty much everywhere where i need to go.

As far as my hotel, my first choice, Hostal Villagarcia was sold out, but i was able to get Hostal Martin. (I hope). I should get confirmation tonight.
Posted by: spanishl

Re: Madrid: Need advice where to stay. - 04/27/05 06:42 PM

this page is even better for that purpose:

http://www.ctm-madrid.es/

Hasta luego!
Posted by: ellenoregon

Re: Madrid: Need advice where to stay. - 04/29/05 02:11 PM

Since coming back from Spain in March I've been recommending Hostal Acapulco, close to Gran Via and Sol. Good sized well-appointed rooms, good sized bathrooms, internet in the lobby, nice staff, elevator, clean and quiet from street noise (though still some next door room noise). 45 Euros or so. Two blocks from the Metro. I'm a middle aged American with typical"niceness" standards and it met mine, without being a Holiday Inn experience in any way. No web site but their email is hostal_acapulco@yahoo.es
Posted by: doragil30

Re: Madrid: Need advice where to stay. - 04/29/05 10:37 PM

Through Travelocity, I booked a double room w/ kitchen & bath for 42 euros per night at Apartamentos Turisticos Principe. They are on Calle Principe, off of Carrera de San Jeronimo. Very well located, near the Prado, Puerta del Sol, etc. Won't be staying there until July, so I can't tell you how good it is, but it seems nice enough from their pictures. Their website is www.atprincipe11.com but you have to go thru Travelocity to get that rate. Hope this helps