Toledo lodging report: Hostal Cardinal

Posted by: funes

Toledo lodging report: Hostal Cardinal - 10/06/04 02:40 PM

At nearly 130 euros, our room at the Cardinal was not inexpensive, but it was a great value. We had a suite with a double bed, a living room, and the most amazing balcony overlooking the Hotel grounds. The doors in our suite were aged wood beauties. The wardrobe, chairs, divan, etc... were also of old world charm but well cared for and in great condition. The ornately tiled azur bathroom was traditional, yet modern with a huge tub and shower. The balcony was about 20 feet long, running the entire length of the suite. It had 2 wicker chairs and a small table; arabesque carvings on the exterior walls, the wood ceiling, and smooth floor tiles made for a sense of age and authenticity. Wonderful for catching a sunrise or putting a bottle of wine to rest in the evening.

The hotel is built into the city walls, and therefore is at the "bottom" of the city. It is located right next to the beautiful escalator that sensitively zigzags its way through the earth and up to the top of the hill. Nevertheless, getting from the Hotel to the Plaza Mayor, Cathedral, or Alcazar (which was closed for repair)will take you a good 20-25 minutes of uphill walking.

The grounds of the hotel are a multi-leveled garden with fountains and sculptures. The restaurant is within the garden, and great for an outdoor eating experience. The menu was 20 euros, and the food was excellent. I had read in some review that the restaurant was overpriced, but I disagree. I had one of the best meals in a month here. The staff at the Cardinal was helpful and friendly.

After traveling alone for three weeks in Spain, I met my wife at Barajas and we immediately came to Toledo and Cardinal. It was enchanting, romantic, and a wonderful representative of the charm and majesty of old Spain. For my wife, who has never been to Europe, it and Toledo in general were unforgettable.

Funes
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Toledo lodging report: Hostal Cardinal - 10/06/04 08:26 PM

Hi funes!! Thanks for your review!!! I think it's the first for this place.

The Hostal del Cardenal website (@ http://www.hostaldelcardenal.com/ ) looks quite nice too.

Saludos, MadridMan