Madrid: help, accomodation needed

Posted by: primaveera

Madrid: help, accomodation needed - 09/30/04 06:39 PM

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Madrid at the end of this month. I have spent the entire evening researching hostales and my head is buzzing. I can't make up my mind. Could someone PLEASE recommend me a clean, cheap and comfortable hostal that perhaps serves breakfast? I have noticed that most hostales don't include that. I have selected so far:

Hostal Aguilar
Hostal Las Murallas
Casa de Huespedes Dolcevita
Hostal Adriano

Could someone please put me out of my misery? I have had a horrible experience in Oxford, UK and I have sworn never to be fooled again, so any input would be greatly appreciated!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Madrid: help, accomodation needed - 09/30/04 07:22 PM

What I can tell you is that in Spain it's pretty customary NOT to have breakfast included in case you just look for a room. Perhaps this is due to the fact that we use to have small breakfasts, like milk and coffe and churros or toast, and we can easily have as good and five times as cheap in the cafeteria round the corner (there are a lot everywhere).

I don't know those hostales, but judging by what I get when I go abroad, you can hope to have a much better lodging for the same money than the one you'd get in Oxford, Lille or Dortmund.

Also, keep in mind that Hostal cannot be fully translated to English like Hostel but rather Pension or one or two-stars hotel, whis is mush better than the average hostal.
Posted by: epaulino4

Re: Madrid: help, accomodation needed - 09/30/04 08:31 PM

Hello,

World business travel can be a pain. Unfortunately,I am one of them. I can be very hard to please when it comes to lodging.

ADRIANO is my favorite. They have so much business that they do not even need me to be nice to them. It is just that they keep exceeding my expectations every time I stay there (just came back from Madrid and ADRIANO's last week, one more time).

The area is very lively, but they have done a great job shielding the noise from the rooms. All major attractions are walking distance and you may pick and choose where to eat in the neighborhood without the expense of a taxi, train or bus.

Networking with other experienced travelers is a great asset, if not, ask Mongo and GoMadrid. You can make great friends. The environment lends itself to it, it is a family hostal with class and gusto!.

Did I help? I hope so.

Happy Travel!

E
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Madrid: help, accomodation needed - 09/30/04 11:36 PM

I agree with epaulino4 about the Adriano!

Keep in mind that there are refrigerators in every room at the Adriano so you can stock it with your own fruit, yougurt etc.

Besides, why eat in a drab hotel dining room when you can take in the local color on the street? (Although a dining room at the Adriano would never be drab! wink )
Posted by: GoMadrid

Re: Madrid: help, accomodation needed - 10/01/04 12:58 AM

Having stayed at Hostal Adriano, the decison for me would be easy.

STAY AT HOSTAL ADRIANO!

Sometimes when I recommend a restaurant, movie, or book, I wonder will the other person be pleased with following my advice.

With Hostal Adriano, I am sure. I join Mongo and Epaulino4 in telling you that this is one of the best pieces of advice that you will get on this message board.

Buena suerte y buen viaje...
Posted by: Puna

Re: Madrid: help, accomodation needed - 10/01/04 08:16 AM

Hostal Adriano is excellent. I completely agree with Mongo, Epaulino4n & GoMadrid in their evaluations. I've stayed at a couple of different hostals in Madrid over the years & Adriano is tops.

Plan on cafe at a nearby cafe - lots of them. As stated - five times cheaper - & more fun - to have breakfast outside of your lodgings.

Enjoy!
Posted by: filbert

Re: Madrid: help, accomodation needed - 10/01/04 11:30 AM

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience in Oxford but frankly I'm not surprised. I've lived in different parts of Scotland and England (including London) and find Oxford to be the most expensive. It's not even that attractive - Bath, York or Edinburgh are far more beautiful cities.
As for hostales - I know that hostal Persal do serve breakfast in their bar. However so far as I'm aware it's the normal small breakfast - coffee and croissant (or small variations). As per other people's advice you can find this in 100s of different venues. As for the hostal Persal itself - not too cheap, but helpful staff and a good location for central Madrid. You won't be disappointed if you stay here; however it's not the cheapest you will find.
Posted by: primaveera

Re: Madrid: help, accomodation needed - 10/02/04 02:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go with Hostel Adriano, they seemed very helpful over the phone. I'll come back here and let you know how it went. Thanks!!!