Hostal Opera-Barcelona

Posted by: Sheryl

Hostal Opera-Barcelona - 06/15/04 07:17 PM

The penultimate week of May, this year, I was in Barcelona for a conference. I made my reservation at the Hostal Opera, via phone...at the time, they didn't have a website. Fortunately, for everyone, there is now a website up and running: Hostal Opera

The hostal is in a wonderful location...at most, 50 yards from Las Ramblas. The rooms are large, bright, clean, and have A/C...and you have control of the A/C (by the way...in Madrid, at the Bianco II, you also have A/C that you can control). The bathroom is quite large, although the shower is the traditional square box.

By the way...for those of you who do not know...shower mats are not used in Europe...you might want to bring along a pair of rubber thongs (flip-flops)to save yourself some aggravation and, possibly, nasty falls.

The hostal's rates were, by Barcelona standards, quite reasonable...I had a double con cama matrimonial and it cost 55 Euros (tax included) a night. The Hostal staff was friendly and very helpful.

The Hostal is quite large. I believe that they have over 50 rooms. They have just renovated the building and acquired the building next to them which is why they are so large...yet, there is a warm feel to the place.

The rooms do not have TV. They have a huge salon on the first floor where there is a large TV set. Oh, by the way, there is an elevator in the building.

I would definitely recommend this Hostal to anyone going to Barcelona.

Sheryl