Madrid: Hostal Gislay Near Puerta Del Sol

Posted by: goshawk

Madrid: Hostal Gislay Near Puerta Del Sol - 04/01/04 10:10 AM

My wife and I will be staying at the Hostal Gislay near Puerta Del Sol.

We will be there april 7 thru 18.

Will post how it went. Any one else stay there?

Pat Newberry
www.gypsyfarm.com
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid: Hostal Gislay Near Puerta Del Sol - 04/01/04 11:23 PM

Hi goshawk!

I don't have any information about this place but it is very very well located between Puerta del Sol and Plaza Jacinto Benavente. There are LOTS of bars and terrazas in this area and it's only a few blocks from the Plaza Santa Ana as well. Please do give us your review upon returning. Yours will be the first!

Also, hope to see you at the next " Party with MadridMan in Madrid " on Friday, April 16th!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Doug316

Re: Madrid: Hostal Gislay Near Puerta Del Sol - 05/07/04 06:52 AM

I stayed in Hostal Gislay. I paid 20€ for an individual room but was "upgraded" to a double.

The small double room had no external windows and was very dark. Very little street noise as a result. The beds are the low end style you often find here where the springs are felt through the matress. Linens appeared clean. TV, but no phone. Small armoire with only a few hangers.

Biggest issue is the shared bathroom. It is very tiny, which would be ok if it were in the room, but I expect more when itīs shared. Cramped, and hard to move around in, often missing toilet paper. The shower was awkwardly designed, to where you will unavoidably freeze yourself after bumping into the faucet handle which is in a bad position. Outside of the shower there is barely enough room to dry yourself off.

Overall I would say itīs very cheap but manageable in a pinch. I think if you go up to 25€ in other hostals for a single it would be a worthy upgrade.