Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking

Posted by: chortlesandgrins

Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 02:42 PM

eek Hmmm... I seem to have defeated myself. I have been slammed at work, and got myself a nice vacation to spain a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, no time to book hotels! So =now=, I'm landing in Madrid this Saturday *gulp* and every place I call is booked solid. I haven't worked my way through the entire madridman hostel list , but am beginning to panic. Anyone know of a metalisting of availabilities? Perhaps I'm being unrealistic, but am just hoping that there's a way to find a room for under 150E for Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 02:57 PM

Hi chortlesandgrins! Welcome to our little message board.

I'm afraid there's no "meta listing" of availability because the vast majority of hostels in Spain do not belong to any kind of booking database - many still use paper/pencil for taking reservations. For 150 Euros you can find a pretty darn nice HOTEL! eek Have you already tried some of those hotels in the MadridMan\'s Hotels page? The cheaper lodgings always fill first but for 150 Euros you shouldn't have any problem. Weekends are busier, of course.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: sel

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 03:12 PM

Last March I had a very pleasant stay at Hostal Chelo . There are many places to try and some will help you find a room if you just arrive on their doorstep and ask. There will be a room somewhere for you!!!

I did Stephen Drake-Jones\' tour of Madrid last time and really enjoyed the afternoon. He shared a bit of history and also gave us good advise as to where to eat.

smile smile Have a great trip!!!

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 03:12 PM

Thanks for the speedy response!

Well yes, I'd =much= prefer not to spend 150E, but from searching and calling all over the place, it seems very difficult. Have called Martin, Horizonte, Cervello, Las Murassas, Madrid, Adriano, Chueca, Hotel Csatilla I v II, Hostal La Plata, Lopez, Marlasca, Mirentxu, Oporto, Cruz Sol, Dulcinea, Cantabrico, Aresol, Tijcal, Gonzalo, Hotel Monaco, Riesco... the list goes on. I'm pulling them off your website, which perhaps maybe a lot of others do as well?

Does anyone have any non-website-enabled hostels that they'd recommend? I was hoping to spend ~30E a night, but could do E50 or E60 since I seem to have truly blown it.

Other random question - how reliable are the online availability checkers?

Last random question - is there a festival in Madrid this weekend or something?
Posted by: Torero

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 03:51 PM

You should try Hostal Luz. The rooms are clean and the rates are reasonable, plus it's located a block off of Calle Arenal near the metro stop Opera and very close to Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, and Huertas. Their telephone numbers are:
91 542 07 59
91 559 74 18

If you don't get an answer at one, try the other. I stayed at this hostal with two of my friends this summer and we absolutely loved it! Have a great time in Madrid and good luck finding a place to stay!!

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 04:32 PM

Someone recently recommended Hostal Delfina to me, but I do not have a phone number. It is at Gran Vía, 12 on the 4th floor.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 04:33 PM

It's seems this weekend the Semana del Regalo is taking place. That's why there are so many people in Madrid during this week.

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 06:05 PM

You tried Hostal Cantábrico and they were full? How odd!! They have more than 100 rooms! What are the chances of that happening???!

You've already called Hostal Adriano ? And they too are full? Did they mention their NEWLY OPENED (JUST YESTERDAY!) Hostal Adria? - located just across the hall from Hostal Adriano. The building is well located too, not far from Puerta del Sol or Plaza Mayor. Hostal Adria doesn't have a website yet but one should be ready by the end of the week. It's BRAND NEW, new furniture and everything. I'd LOVE to get the first review of this place.

As for your question about online availability checkers, I don't trust them but suppose they're mostly reliable but most of those where you can check availability go through the HotelSearch.com reservation system.

Best of luck to you! Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 06:27 PM

VICTORY!!

Hostal Macarena called and they have a room for me. Earlier, they said no, but when they told me to call back at midnight they said they did have a room. Now I just have to hope for a balcony.

It's more than I wanted to spend, but my own fool fault for waiting too long. Exciting about the fair as well, thanks for looking it up!

~chortles and grins

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 06:33 PM

Have a good time!!!

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 06:34 PM

Hostal La Macarena CALLED YOU and said they had a room?!?!? Wow! That's unheard of for a hostel to call the clients on the phone! It's a shame you didn't ask them specifically for a balcony room. It would be GREAT if you could get one facing the Calle de Cuchilleros and the Plaza Mayor. Check out the photo on the FRONT PAGE ( click here ) of MadridMan.com which I just uploaded. It's a photo of JUST where you'll be staying. You can see the Hostal La Macarena on the right. Nice! Can't wait to get a review of it from your perspective. (please?)

Congratulations! Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 06:47 PM

MadridMan-I have a room booked in the new half of the Adriano(Hostal Adria) next week. I'll give you the lowdown from a cyber cafe.

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/10/03 07:04 PM

Mongo, thanks in advance for the review of the new Hostal Adria. (how 'bout some skeak-peak photos too?!) Please say hello to Alberto & Enrique for me. Those two are such nice guys. I can't believe you're able to go back already. Lucky you!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/11/03 12:59 AM

Hi all,

Happy to provide a review - much gratitude for the assistance (moral and resources as well). I erred - the hotel didn't call me. I was so excited when I got a room after 3 hours of trying and nibbling my nails to the quick that I mis-typed.

Now of course, I have to solve the Barcelona housing issue wink

~chortles and grins

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/11/03 05:35 AM

Do you have the same issue with Barcelona as you had with Madrid? If so, we can help with that too. We are, afterall, an "ALL SPAIN Message Board" just as the title states - although that little detail is often overlooked.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: mick nick

Re: Madrid Booked! Mildly panicking - 09/11/03 05:28 PM

Hostal la Macarena will be just fine. The rooms are a bit small for the price, but the people are lovely and the place is spotless and location is fantastic.