Madrid's Hotel Carlos V?

Posted by: Charlie

Madrid's Hotel Carlos V? - 07/23/03 08:18 PM

Hi,

I've booked a three night stay at this hotel and, of course, wondering if it is a decent place to stay. I chose the Hotel Carlos V because of one recommendation on another, not as classy as MadridMan though, message board.

Any information on this hotel and the area will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie
Posted by: ToniG

Re: Madrid's Hotel Carlos V? - 07/23/03 11:59 PM

My daughter and I spent a few days at the Carlos V in 2001. It is nice and clean and the staff are helpful. The location is terrific--at the'backdoor'to Corte Ingles, walking distance to all the big sites. My only regret is that we spent sooo much (about $120/night) on a room there, in which we only slept. I do hostals now and save the extra $50-70/day!!!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid's Hotel Carlos V? - 07/24/03 05:43 AM

Hi Charlie! And welcome to our little message board. smile

You'll find MANY MANY postings on the Best Western Hotel Carlos V in this fora by doing a SEARCH (see SEARCH link above/right and use MADRID HOTEL CARLOS V as your keywords).

I recall that their prices have about doubled in the last 2-3 years, they are decent lodgings, good location on a pedestrian street near the Puerta del Sol, they have airport shuttles available, and we've had mainly positive reviews about it here.

Good luck and have a nice time in Madrid!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: vicnric

Re: Madrid's Hotel Carlos V? - 07/24/03 07:33 PM

We are also booked at the Carlos V in September for our last three nights in Spain. From previous messages on this forum, I gather there is some criticism of their airport shuttle service. I am wondering if we should rely upon Aerocity to return to Barajas airport. Does anyone have any recent experience using Carlos V's shuttle service?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Posted by: iluvspain

Re: Madrid's Hotel Carlos V? - 07/29/03 01:55 PM

Well, I stayed at the Carlos the V last March and thought it was a steal for the money. Had no problems. Actually thought it was a gem of a place. Breakfast was included, location couldn't be better - didn't have to take the Metro to any of the locations - museums, plaza mayor, etc. Also stayed at a different Best Western - on my way out of Madrid - and thought that was awful and cost more money. We took the transportation from the hotel to the train station and didn't encounter any problems. The only comment I will make is that it is right near Sol so it can be a bit noisy....
Posted by: Cornelio

Re: Madrid's Hotel Carlos V? - 07/31/03 04:24 PM

I would agree that Carlos V is a great hotel primarily because its location is unbeatable, literally a stone's throw away from El Corte Ingles and Puerta del Sol, or kilometer 0. The rooms were good and the breakfast on the second floor was great. The only question in my mind about this hotel is the recent increase in prices which begs the question "are you getting the best bang for you buck with Carlos V?" I stayed there in 2001 and rooms were no more than $65 but a recent check of their website reveals that singles are now $93. It's on the verge of being outrageous for a 3-star hotel. It used to be a great deal. Now it's a poor to mediocre deal at best. Great location or not, I would consider other places that would provide the same amenities but for a more reasonable price. The location of Carlos V is probably unbeatable but I would suffer the inconvenience if some substantial savings can be had.