Jaca

Posted by: Charlie

Jaca - 07/23/03 08:05 PM

Hi,

We are traveling from Hondarribia to Jaca and will be staying at Paradores beginning in Lerma. We would like suggestions on where to stay in Jaca, however we are not really hotel booking people. We like historic, intimate, unique accommodations. If we have to book a hotel, so be it. Please, can anyone who has been to this area render some help. If you wish, you can email me directly.
Thanks alot,
Charlie
Posted by: Diana

Re: Jaca - 07/23/03 10:33 PM

Hi Charlie! Welcome to MM's bulletin board!

Although I've never stayed in a hotel in Jaca, I've spent many vacations there (in a private apartment), and really love it. I hope you like it, too!

Jaca does not have anything like a parador. It has several hotels and "pensiones," and there is a new "casa rural," called Los Cerezos, just 2 km outside of town, that looks interesting. You can see pictures of the various hotels here: http://www.lospirineos.info/aragon/hoteles/jacahoteles.htm

The hotel that has traditionally been considered the "best" in Jaca is the Gran Hotel. You can see more here: http://www.inturmark.es/gransp.htm One of the nice things about this hotel is its location - right in the heart of town, with the park in front. Others are also right in town, but this location is perfect. The Conde Aznar is just down the street, also in front of the park, and has a well-known(and more expensive) restaurant.

Several newer hotels have opened in the past few years that look pretty good. All will have simple rooms, in the style of the area - light wood, simple lines. I'm sure you'll find they are all spotlessly clean as well.

There is plenty to do in the area, and plenty to see in town, for such a small place. The nightlife in the summertime is great, and the bars, restaurants, and pastry shops are outstanding. Don't spend too much time in the hotel!

I hope this helped a little. Enjoy your trip!
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Jaca - 07/25/03 07:19 AM

Hi Charlie
By coincidence I am in Jaca right now...I have been here the entire month of July..though I am not staying at the hotel ( I rented an apartment), what Diana recommends seems right. The Gran Hotel is right in the middle of the action. The casa rural los Cerezos DOES look quite nice...but it is not in town. Some friends who vistied us, stayed in the Hotel Pradas...and they liked it very much. Also, some other friends stayed in the Hostal Paris...from the outside it looks a little dumpy...but it is SPOTLESS and the rooms are just fine. You have to share a bathroom there though. Have fun in Jaca...it is a very charming little city.
Posted by: fmiketheman

Re: Jaca - 07/25/03 10:13 AM

hey everybody

esperanza and marisa
YOURE NOT IN SANTIAGO?!

thats so sad
guardamos un minuto de silencio. frown laugh frown
Posted by: marisa4444

Re: Jaca - 07/25/03 10:29 AM

fmiketheman...i think you´re a little confused. Did you think that I was doing the Camino this summer??...well unfortunately no...most likely it will be NEXT summer. I LOVE Santiago (I think it might be my favorite city in Spain so far smile )...too bad (it would be GREAT to be there right now frown )
*marisa*
Posted by: fmiketheman

Re: Jaca - 07/25/03 05:35 PM

hey everybody

ahuh....ok
anyways i have to tell you that Santiago De Compostela is my favorite city in spain too.

im a more like a northern spain lover though i love spain in general.more like calibasco and booklady etc.
besides fmiketheman im also nortenoman. wink laugh