Hostal La Macarena, Madrid

Posted by: Carole Chiaro

Hostal La Macarena, Madrid - 07/09/03 12:43 PM

Hostal La Macarena is located on the Cava de San Miguel, just off Madrid's Plaza Mayor, the moderately sized rooms with nice bathrooms are both clean and comfortable. Hair dryer and toiletries are provided. No breakfast but there are plenty of cafes nearby. The biggest drawback is the noise coming from the revelers in the street below. 70 Euros.
Posted by: ToniG

Re: Hostal La Macarena, Madrid - 07/09/03 11:49 PM

Also a very popular place. I have tried to make reservations for La Macarena for October and they said they are full!!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Hostal La Macarena, Madrid - 07/11/03 09:59 PM

ToniG, they may not have been full for October. Some hostels won't take reservations so far in advance and instead will tell you just what Hostal La Macarena told you. I'm not saying they're NOT full but this is what owners do sometimes. Unless you make firm reservations with another, try them again 4-6 weeks before your departure.

OR, maybe you'll be in Madrid during the big Fería de Otoño bullfighting festival? Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Roy

Re: Hostal La Macarena, Madrid - 07/24/03 04:04 PM

According to an e-mail from the hostal itself, Hostal La Macarena does not have air condiitoning, even though its website says it does, as well as some guide books (like Lonely Planet Madrid and Rough Guides Spain).

This place has plenty of good recommendations from books and the web, but I found myself a little taken aback at their e-mail responses. I sent a note in English asking about a room and received a reply, in English, saying that the room did not have air conditioning. So then I replied, pointing out that their website said all rooms did, and suggesting they might want to correct it. I put in the paragraphs from the website in English and Spanish where it talks about the amenities all their rooms have, and asked if the other information was correct. I get a reply only in Spanish! confused Finally, I sent an e-mail saying I would still take the room if it had a balcony (because I didn't want an interior room in Madrid in August without air conditioning!), and now he hasn't replied at all!

I re-read what I wrote above, and maybe it isn't as bad as it first seemed to me. I did close my last note by saying something like "if you don't have a room with balcony, then thanks anyway", so maybe he thought he didn't need to say anything more. I still think it would've been polite to send an acknowledgment.
Posted by: Guapetona

Re: Hostal La Macarena, Madrid - 07/24/03 05:08 PM

hi all,

i've stayed at Macarena tons of times and they are hands down the BEST hostal in Madrid. yes, u can find cheaper but its BEAUTIFUL and the location is ridiculous.

the staff is awesome..ask for Jose..he's the NICEST guy on the planet. ask him to take u to Casa Mingo..its the best!!

tip: the balcony rooms are fantastic and quite romantic..not to mention its where the prince stayed once with a lovely blonde companion ;-)
its been totally redone..marble floors, hallway music, all amenities,,cable etc.

the rooms are very very nice..more like a 3 star hotel than a hostal.

Roy,

u're getting two off responses may be due to the fact that neither the day nor the night front desk agent speak any fluid amount english. the one that works at night is Jose..who is a sweetheart u might be better off calling directly.

hope it works out for u! enjoy ur stay!!