Ábalos: Hotel Villa de Ábalos

Posted by: admiral44

Ábalos: Hotel Villa de Ábalos - 06/25/14 06:29 AM

This was the second time we spent a night at Hotel Villa de Ábalos, the last time being four years ago. There have only been a few changes, and all for the better. Rooms are spotlessly clean and well organized. Spacious bathrooms have all the conveniences. The common areas upstairs and on the ground level are a good spot to catch up with traveling companions or check you email on the free WIFI. The owner is a friendly guy who makes his own wine, which sadly is not available in the USA. He has installed a small bar in the front reception area where you can have wine and a few tapas from the kitchen. Locals stop in here, too, and we enjoyed chatting with a bunch of older gents that night. Lots of fun with them. Ábalos is a small village and we opted to eat supper at the hotel. A fantastic meal in every way, truly homemade food. Breakfast was similar. If you're exploring La Rioja and want a quiet base to rest every night, this is a good choice.
Posted by: Puna

Re: Ábalos: Hotel Villa de Ábalos - 06/25/14 01:00 PM

Your review sent me scurrying to Google. Hotel Villa de Ábalos sounds super!

http://www.hotelvilladeabalos.com/inicio/index.php?acc=home&idc=1&ln=1
Posted by: admiral44

Re: Ábalos: Hotel Villa de Ábalos - 06/25/14 04:14 PM

Puna,

It really is a great place to stay. The owner is on site and a guy who cares about how his place operates. Friendly and cheerful. Plus the home-cooked meals are delicious and authentic. Abalos is a village, however, so a car is necessary. But if exploring La Rioja or even as far as Bilbao, it works well.

I wish I could buy his wine in the USA. The white is a favorite of mine. He jokes that he named his two boys "Tinto" and "Blanco."