Madrid: looking for hostal weekend

Posted by: pedmar

Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/11/09 11:21 AM

weekend of 4-6 Dec,which i believe is constitution holiday,plan to be in Madrid. Anyone know of any hostal available for those dates?
We will be a group of 6,arriving friday night late. Thanks for any feedback/help.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/15/09 06:37 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the reservation systems to "hostales". If I did, I'd be happy to help. "Seek and ye shall find."

What's your price range? Need an in-room bathroom/toilet? Elevator? Wi-Fi? Gives us some more requirements and we'll give some suggestions.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/21/09 12:40 PM

well plans are postponned for january, as plan on seeing some old friends in the area. Right now I am looking for some hotel:hostals specials and a friend quote on a HI....

But the usual suspects for the Dec date were all book this year amazing;last year was a breeze...

thanks again MM,and when sure will let you know to see if finally we can meet in MADRID!
Posted by: Donna Cuervo

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/21/09 07:38 PM

There are thousands of hostales in Madrid, and it's hard to believe you'll have any problem in January. At that time you may even be able to book a more high end hotel at the same or lower price than a hostal. Hostales don't seem to have the resources to offer deep discounts and probably can fill up easier than a hotel with hundreds of rooms to fill, so sometimes you can live more luxuriously for the same price...especially in January.

Plug your dates into Venere.com or a similar site, and see what kind of prices you get. Venere has a separate section of Madrid hostales, so you can compare those prices against hotels and check availability.

The best book to go into detail about individual hostales was Sandra Gustafson's "Great Sleeps in Spain". Here you had dozens of these places in Madrid, Barcelona and Seville described by a woman with middle class (as opposed to budget) tastes, and I found that if she says a place is good it usually is.

Unfortunately the book has not been revised in some years, but I still find my copy useful. You may find a copy in the library that will give you some good suggestions.

Two years ago I stayed for 10 days at the Hostal Astoria on calle San Jeronimo. It was a great location, and my room was fine. I paid around 40 Euros a night. I found nothing at all to complain about in 10 days.

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/22/09 08:03 AM

was not talking about january, but december. I know january will be a lot better.I dont use Venere, used to lived in Madrid and visit often,every year at least. I deal with them directly. I am Spanish too why read a book by Sandra G who?? I know Madrid and Spain better ::)
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/22/09 08:33 AM

How about Hostal Chelo or Hostal Adriano My husband is in Spain right now (lucky him!) and he has stayed and will stay again at those hostals. Both centrally located. The Hostal Chelo is a bit less expensive, but it does not have wifi. I stayed at the Adriano last year and I was very happy with the choice. My husband has also stayed at the Hostal Macarena and he really liked it too. Those are just 3 of the many places we have used and liked. I am certain you will find a good place. Oh, the Hostal Adriano is soooo close to Las Bravas....IF you are a fan! (and who isn't??) then, the Adriano might be your best bet. cool

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/22/09 08:52 AM

yes the Adriano is one contacted but was booked for the december dates, now its january but still need confirmation from the group I am meeting as they will come from all over Spain to Madrid. Hostal Macarena was another one. Do not know about Hostal Chelo but will take a look ,thanks.

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/22/09 08:56 AM

do not need wifi we are old fashion folks from the country hehehe!
we meet several times to talk about old days and the Real Madrid (used to be a player alavin ::)) bathroom in the room yes, as will come with the wife and kids.No need for elevator or AC. thanks.

the reason asked for hostal is that i always stayed in hotels or apts for several years(except one year in Hostal La Plata, gran via 15, great exp), but we decided to go down this year as the whole family is traveling.
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/22/09 02:42 PM

FYI: My husband said that the room at the Chelo (single) was fine, just small and a bit dark since it was an interior one. But, the next time he had an exterior room, and it was much better.

Posted by: Jan D

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/22/09 03:15 PM

Hmmm Strange....We always stay at Chelo, it most definitely has Wifi (and it's Free). Chelo is also in a very good location, at the edge of Chueca.
Posted by: Donna Cuervo

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/22/09 08:04 PM

"was not talking about january, but december. I know january will be a lot better.I dont use Venere, used to lived in Madrid and visit often,every year at least. I deal with them directly. I am Spanish too why read a book by Sandra G who?? I know Madrid and Spain better ::)"

Sorry to waste your time with my utterly useless response. Why did you ask for help when you're already an authority on all this?
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/22/09 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By esperanza
The Hostal Chelo is a bit less expensive, but it does not have wifi.
Hostal Chelo has had WiFi for the last 2 or 3 years, I think. The rooms are simpler than Hostal Adriano, that's true, but they're also much cheaper.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: JA

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 11/23/09 11:52 AM

To Donna Cuervo:

You are right and you are always helpful.

JA

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 12/11/09 06:21 AM

ok Adriano now has it for January, quoting 60 euros! rather stay in areas away from the center mobs. I know well the metro gets you anywhere easily.
so ,picky me, you have any suggestions?
Posted by: eskimo joe

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 12/12/09 04:14 AM

There is some great deals at hotels at the moment , have a look through tripadvisor Im staying at the best western Arosa for 95e fro 2 nights. We stayed there in 2002 and only found out the name of it again the other week ( my daughters name is Arrosa)
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 12/12/09 05:55 AM

Joe .. That´s not your normal style .. I thought it was the Wellington on the Ritz for you !!

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 12/12/09 01:52 PM

Well to answer everybody, I know Madrid very well, lived there for 4 yrs,and visit every year for upteems times. As I have said, used to rent hotels (Intercontinental Castellana for example) and apartments around Goya and Ramon de la Cruz. But hearing all about hostals, and decided lets ask the forum as Ihave seen quite a bit of info sharing.

well never mind, a friend from the industry in Madrid is given me an "amigo" rate at one of the better hotels in town, too hard to resist again hotel bound.
So THANK YOU ALL WHO HAVE ANSWERED WHETHER YOU THINK WAS USEFUL OR NOT, IT WAS USEFUL.
maybe next time .Cheers
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 12/12/09 02:28 PM

Hey Pedmar .. Have a great time in Madrid . Maybe , one day , we´ll get to meet !
Have a wonderful christmas . Steve
Posted by: eskimo joe

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 12/12/09 02:54 PM

It depends on the occasion Steve , since im coming over on my own I dont need to please the missus by taking her to a swish hotel . I had been planning on a hostal but recently found out the name of the hotel we stayed at when we came over with my best man and his girlfriend and it was the Arosa , so there is sentimental reasons for choosing that .
In the last month and a half we stayed in the Midland in Manchester , and the Scotsman in Edinburgh , so I have the fancy hotels out of my system for a wee while !

Re: Madrid: looking for hostal weekend - 12/13/09 10:43 AM

It will be a pleasure STeve, I will be in Madrid again Jan 23-25 going for the Malaga game of you know who, my lifetime team, played benjamin for them and very much involved, its what keeps me coming back to Madrid whenever I have a chance. Cheers