One night in Madrid

Posted by: CathyM

One night in Madrid - 02/07/03 08:20 PM

I'll be spending one night in Madrid the night before I return to the states on April 19th. I'm trying to find a central hotel near the Puerto del Sol/Plaza Santa Ana so I can go tapas hopping. I'll be on my own so I need to feel safe and don't want to have to walk far. My budget goes up to 100 euros, however I prefer non-chain hotels with atmosphere. I tried Hotel Europa but they're booked. I should probably book quickly as this is the day before Easter.

Thanks in advance for your help. wink
Posted by: mgarcia

Re: One night in Madrid - 02/13/03 10:36 PM

I recently stayed at the Capitol Tryp located on Gran Via and it only cost $77usd...its very close to puerto del sol and plaza mayor. The rooms were clean and the breakfast buffet was outstanding. At first I tried several websites that were charging $120-140 usd...when I went to travelocity, they got it for me at 77usd. let me know if you need more infro
Posted by: mick nick

Re: One night in Madrid - 02/14/03 04:50 AM

Can recommend the Hotel Santander on c/de Echegaray. Ideally located for Santa Ana/Huertas. Nice big rooms with private bath, approx 65 euros. Sadly, no website to check out though.
Posted by: Eddie

Re: One night in Madrid - 02/14/03 04:56 AM

CathyM writes:
Quote:
... spending one night in Madrid the night before I return to the states on April 19th. I'm trying to find a central hotel near the Puerto del Sol/Plaza Santa Ana so I can go tapas hopping...
Just to let you know, Cathy: Madrid's largest Semana Santa Procession will take place Friday evening (4/18) on C/Mayor near the area where you are looking. It may not be the best night of the year for Tasca-hopping, especially in that neighborhood. rolleyes
Posted by: CathyM

Re: One night in Madrid - 02/14/03 03:53 PM

Thanks everyone. I ended up booking a night at the Principe 11 based on recommendations from this board.

Eddie- I'll be in Sevilla from Wed-Sat afternoon of Semana Santa. I think there may be something going on there. wink wink laugh
Posted by: Eddie

Re: One night in Madrid - 02/15/03 04:02 AM

CathyM writes:
Quote:
I'll be in Sevilla from Wed-Sat afternoon of Semana Santa. I think there may be something going on there.
AVISO!
A problem you may not have considered for Semana Santa in Sevilla: Due to the large number of Processions Thursday and Friday, many streets will be closed during certain hours; bus routes will be disrupted and Taxistas will "take you for a ride!" eek The Ayuntamiento de Sevilla publishes a booklet each year giving the schedules for street closings (processions). Ask a Taxista for one and take it from there. rolleyes
Quote:
I'll be spending one night in Madrid the night before I return to the states on April 19th.
We've got some conflicting information here eek
I guess what you meant to say is that you will be spending the night of April 19th in Madrid before returning to the States Sunday, April 20th. I understood you to have said you would be returning to the States on April 19th. My initial reply was based on a misunderstanding. Please disregard everything after: "Now listen carefully."