Staying with 2 small kids... how does it work?

Posted by: RNJD

Staying with 2 small kids... how does it work? - 03/20/09 08:21 PM

Hi all! This is my first post!

We're traveling Spain and Portugal for 4 weeks in May. As I check out places to stay, some are quite confusing to what I'm used to seeing in North America. It will be two adults, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. We all sleep in beds at home (no crib). What kind of room do we ask for? Is it a double? Or do we need a triple/quad? Or can we add a bed? Is it customary to have a hide-a-bed or something in the room as well that we could put the kids on, or are the rooms really quite small?

Usually we get a "double" room here and we get 2 queen sized beds and there's no charge for the kids. But from what I've seen online, this won't be the case in Spain / Portugal? Please help! We're looking for good deals, not fancy resort hotels, so any help with pointing us in the right direction would be appreciated!
Posted by: madridmadridmadrid

Re: Staying with 2 small kids... how does it work? - 03/21/09 09:31 AM

In Spain, double means for two people, triple for three, etc. Ask about the specific configuration of the beds, because quad could mean a double bed and two singles, two double beds, or four singles.

Rooms in inexpensive hotels tend to be small, unless they are in the country. Hide a beds aren't common, unless it's a suite. If you are spending more than a day or two somewhere, you might look into apartment or house rentals, sometimes this is cheaper than a big hotel room.