Malaga City accomodations

Posted by: Denise 2009

Malaga City accomodations - 03/19/09 12:29 PM

Hi Everyone. We'll be arriving in Malaga on Sept. 7. I reviewed my Frommer's book, but I'm not happy with any of their recommendations for accomodations. Looking for "reasonable" prices (not the RITZ). We are using Malaga as a starting point, and hope to visit Rhonda on a day trip (not sure if we are joining a tour or renting a car). We will stay in Malaga for just a couple nights before driving to Grenada. Can anyone recommend a place to stay for a couple nights either in Malaga or within taxi distance of the airport and easy commute to Malaga? Appreciate the advice!
Posted by: CathyM

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 04/06/09 11:47 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Don Curro for 4 nights in the Spring 2008. The location is excellent, large rooms and it cost me around 70 euros a night. I prefer smaller more boutique type hotels and this one is more of a business hotel but again the location was great along with the price. I love the city of Malaga. Hope this helps.

http://www.hoteldoncurro.com/
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 04/06/09 02:19 PM

reasonable prices is everyones guess ????
Don Curro is a 3 stars nowdays, check Los Naranjos paseo de Sanchà, garage,AC, TV satellite,minibar,and 1 km to the beach. Being a while ,need to check rates now

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 04/06/09 08:13 PM

Don Curro was a 3* when I visited and paid 70 euros.

The poster was looking for a moderate hotel (not the Ritz). I believe 70 euros is well within the moderate range - the Ritz would be much more than 70 euros.

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 04/13/09 07:44 PM

I was starting to fear I'd not get a response! I stopped checking. WHEW! Thanks for helping me out here, folks!

It's not a bad price, just over $100 CDN per night. I believe I'll keep this one book marked.

I'm open for other suggestions too!
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 05/22/09 07:41 AM

Hi Denise, If you are still looking for suggestions, at this moment there are some good deals to be had.

I've stayed in the Zenit which is a comfortable modern hotel although a fifteen to twenty minute walk to the cathedral, but with a good price per night of 54 € room only.

One that I have heard good things about is Hotel del Pintor which is right in the heart of the attractions of the city. Currently 60 € a night, again room only. Breakfast tends to be around ten to fifteen euros at most of these hotels but you can stroll to any bar and have a great Spanish style breakfast for a few euros, so I am quoting rates without it.

I have stayed also at the Venecia, 65 € per room per night, which has the advantage that not only is it in the Alameda opposite Calle Larios , but also there is a bus stop right across from the hotel that goes direct to airport for something like one euro.

Finally, one that caught my eye is the Tryp Alameda which is where Real Madrid stay when they are in town and that is going for a measly 62 € a night for your dates in September.

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 05/25/09 12:29 PM

Thank you Anchovy Front. I really must get busy booking my hostels/hotels (whatever!) for Sept. I'm running behind in my schedule. I'll check them all out soon (I wonder if I'm subconsiously holding out for rate drops! *L*)

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 07/31/09 04:27 PM

YIPEE!! First hotel is booked - in Torremolinos, not Malaga. 5 nights at Hotel Isabel. Gosh, I hope I picked wisely! Both Trip Advisor, Toronto Dominion Travel and Expedia rate it well. Okay...now onto Madrid for 4 nights, then Barcelona for 4. I'll be in Spain before I know it!!!

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 07/31/09 04:46 PM

Does this mean you decided not to visit Malaga (city)?

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 07/31/09 04:59 PM

Oh no! It will be our first day of touring. We are using Torremolinos as a base for tours.

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 07/31/09 07:55 PM

Good - I loved Malaga and I think so many people overlook it and head straight to the Costa del Sol.
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 08/01/09 04:13 AM

Hope you don´t have a problem with the gay community , Denise ..´Torremolinos is the centre of gay Andalucia . Strangely , i´ve never been there , just to Marbella and Puerto Banús .. but one day I will try out the torremolinos night life ! Have fun in the sun ! Steve

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 08/01/09 07:01 AM

Steve
No troubles! The gay community is truly little different than the heterosexual - at least in Canada. As a 'community', perhaps, I think sometimes, they are more friendly. But that is stereotyping! (and this from a former yank, former Toledoan (Ohio that is!))

Madrid hotel is now booked as well! Okay, the Best Western Atlantico. My only hope is that Trip Advisor and Expedia were right in their estimations of the hotel AND that I don't spend all my money on cabs or transit *LOL*

Next is Barcelona. Looking in the 4 star category. Central. Suggestions before I start my research here this morning?

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 08/01/09 07:01 AM

Oh yes, Kathy - do you have an particular MUST SEE's for Malaga?
Posted by: Shannon McDonough

Re: Malaga City accomodations - 08/01/09 12:11 PM

I have stayed at BW Hotel Atlantico in Madrid (on Gran Via) a couple of times and had a great experience. The first time was in February and had a HUGE room with great views of the Gran Via. The second time was in June (during Europride a couple of years ago) and had a smaller, quieter room. The staff was great. Check out the terrace on the roof for some fantastic views.