Where to stay in Madrid?

Posted by: marsi

Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/14/02 12:06 PM

I am meeting up with a tour group in Madrid in November and have decided to arrive a day early to rest up before the big trip. I have never been to Europe before and have never travelled outside of the country by myself and while I'm very excited about my trip, frankly I'm a bit nervous about going it alone - even though it's just for one evening. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a hotel I could stay at for the night that's central to all the good shopping, restaurants, sites, etc., is reasonably priced and is also safe and not near too many bars. The next night I'll be staying at the same hotel as the tour group - the Hotel AC Aravaca , which is on N-VI highway next to the "Casa de Campo" and just opposite the Zarzuela Clinic. Since we're leaving for Toledo the next morning, I get the impression that this hotel is not very central.

One other thing - I do not speak Spanish, so anywhere that's considered American-friendly would also be appreciated. One person did suggest the Hotel Suecia - does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!
Posted by: Lipstique

Re: Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/14/02 04:40 PM

Marsi, from what others have told me the Hotel Suecia is very nice, but the price is on the high end unless you can get a hold of a Bancotel voucher, as the Hotel Suecia only requires one voucher per night (50 Euro). You'd need to purchase a single voucher at a travel agency, and there might be a minor service charge.

Saying all of that, have you tried the Hostal Adriano ? It is 1/2 way between the Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor. I have a reservation there in March. The owner, Alberto DiStefano, is fluent in English. He's answered all of my inane questions about Madrid and actually other cities in Spain, and I've found him most helpful and friendly. Actually, I have Mongo to thank for his positive reviews of this hostal, otherwise, I never would have even found the Hostal Adriano . The current rate is 48 Euro per night for a room with a double bed and private bathroom. The pictures of the hostal are quite nice, and I've been assured that the area is quite safe.
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/14/02 05:34 PM

Hi Marsi,
I stayed at the Hotel Suecia (3 star hotel) last December for four days, and found it to be perfect in terms of location and price. At that time it was full of locals from other regions of Spain.

It cost me at the time one Bancotel voucher per night, very reasonable, more reasonable than many two star hostels. The room was a delight! Spacious, very comfortable bed, super clean bathroom with all the amenities including toiletries.

It's location is the best.From the Suecia, I easily walked to the Prado, Reina Sofia and to the Plaza Mayor. Very centrally located. It is about 20 meters from the Calle de Alcala, on a very nice side street, and best of all, across from the local RENFE station, so you can reserve tickets and get information without the dreary lines one encounters at Atocha or Chamartin. Right across from the Hotel to the left as you exit is a delightful little cafe where you can get your churros and chocolate before you begin your Madrid Adventure.

Good luck on your trip!
Posted by: Amphitrite

Re: Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/14/02 11:29 PM

I'm also looking for someplace safe and quiet. The Hostal Adriano looks nice and the price is right. Has anyone stayed there? I was thinking of Hostal Gonzalo because I had read on this site that it is on a quiet street. Does anyone know which is the quietest? Which is in the nicest area? I'm having such a hard time deciding on a hotel!

Thanks!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/15/02 12:25 AM

I used the handy-dandy SEARCH link located in the upper righthand corner, plugged in ADRIANO MADRID as my keywords and found a number of threads mentioning the place. It got reviewed a couple months ago in the " Hostal Adriano (Madrid) " & " Madrid:Adriano vs Lopez " threads among others. Use the search and find more about this and other hostels and hotels in Spain! smile

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/15/02 04:18 PM

I liked the Hotel Madrid . It was a little noisy on the out-facing rooms on the weekend, but it was safe, had a good breakfast, and has one of the nicest staffs that I've encountered on my trips to Spain. It's a block south of Sol, so you can't get much more central than that. Address is c/Carretas 10. They're part of the Best Western chain. They also have complimentary airport shuttle driven by a really tall Madrileño who's as friendly as they come.
Posted by: marsi

Re: Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/15/02 08:20 PM

Hi Everyone -

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. These are soooo helpful. Any others are still appreciated.

Marsi
Posted by: Andrés

Re: Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/15/02 09:40 PM

It´s hard for me to believe that an American is afraid of travelling out of the US. Everytime I turn on the CNN either a plane has crashed into 3000 people, the country is riddled with Antrax, a gangster has tried to enter the country with a radioactive bomb or there is a son of a ........ shooting at people refilling their tanks, are you really afraid of coming here?

As for the Hotel Suecia I seem to remember it has 4 stars and not 3.

Good luck!
Posted by: churrocaliente

Re: Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/15/02 11:45 PM

Good one Andres!

Marsi, I just spent some time alone in Madrid and really, there's no reason to be that apprehensive. We recently posted a thread on this subject under the safety & security issues category.

If you can get your hands on coupons for the Hotel Suecia, I would recommend it, it's an excellent location and on a quiet side street next to the Circulo de Bellas Arts (Fine Arts Center), which has a snazzy cafe indoors & out.

I stayed at the Hotel Mora (Paseo del Prado) and at the Hotel Regina (Calle Alcala, not far from the Hotel Suecia). Hotel Mora was very economical & I felt safe. Regina was good too, but more expensive.

Also, keep in mind Madrid is full of bars and places to eat/drink, but the places where they are located doesn't necessarily make them "bar" neighborhoods as we might see here in the US ... in fact, you might feel safer being closer to establishments rather than on deserted streets.

Enjoy your trip!

Churrito
Posted by: Wendy E

Re: Where to stay in Madrid? - 10/21/02 09:37 PM

Quote:
It´s hard for me to believe that an American is afraid of travelling out of the US. Everytime I turn on the CNN either a plane has crashed into 3000 people, the country is riddled with Antrax, a gangster has tried to enter the country with a radioactive bomb or there is a son of a ........ shooting at people refilling their tanks, are you really afraid of coming here?
I live a mile from the Pentagon and had to see the wreckage every day, worked on Capitol Hill when it was contaminated with Anthrax, and worry about the sniper in my area.
But...
I spent a few days in Madrid a few years ago and had to fight off muggers THREE times, and had to scream to scare away some pervert cornered me and another girl in Sevilla.

So it's a toss-up! Interesting juxtaposition you present.