Hostal Begona, Bilbao

Posted by: Bricamb

Hostal Begona, Bilbao - 09/23/02 10:22 AM

Just returned from a week in and around Bilbao, staying at the Hostal Begoņa in that city. This hostal was recommended by someone on this board and I'd just like say that its a good place to stay. Its modern, very clean and the staff are super friendly and helpful. The hostal is centrally located but the street, Amistad 2 is pretty quiet so getting off to sleep in no problem. Also visited, San Sebastian, Santander and Vitoria.... all wonderful.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Hostal Begona, Bilbao - 09/23/02 12:54 PM

Some questions, if you please...

Is there a lift/elevator in the building? Do some rooms have balconies? Did anyone speak English? You found it to be a good value? The bed was comfortable? Were you able to WALK everywhere easily? How did you get to your hostel in the first place? (i.e. bus, mule, car, unicycle?)

I'd love to have a deeper review of this place if at all possible. We have so few hostels reviewed outside of Madrid, BCN, & Sevilla. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan smile
Posted by: Bricamb

Re: Hostal Begona, Bilbao - 09/23/02 06:13 PM

Hello Madridman. The hostal is situated on the first floor and has a lift - a small one - so if you've a lot of luggage you may have to make several trips. I rented a 'mini-suite' for around 59 euros a night and yes the bed was a goodie. I thought this was good value. Put it this way, it was the largest hotel room I've ever stayed in. As I said, the hostal is very modern and there is a nice reception/lounge area where you can relax after a hard day's sightseeing. My room had a balcony but I don't know if the other rooms do, you would need to ask. I spoke English with the receptionist I saw in the mornings and practiced my Spanish with the evening receptionist. Location wise, you are a stone's throw from the Gran Via and equally close to the Casco Viejo, just across the River Nevrion which it is said can stink in the summer, but I saw several shoals of fish swimming around in it so it can't be that awful! Altough smaller and perhaps less animated night-life wise than Madrid or Barcelona, I really liked Bilbao. I am especially grateful to those people who guided me and my hired car back to the Hostal Begona when I got hopelessly lost on my way back from Santander and San Sebastian.