Madrid:Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin

Posted by: T-bone

Madrid:Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin - 07/02/02 09:02 AM

Hi everyone! I know that this is a wild shot, but I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this particular hotel? It is located at Plaza San Martin, a short distance from Puerta del Sol. It is rated 4 stars, and was opened in 2001. Bancotel has it available for 1 voucher per night per double room throughout the month of August. I am thinking about booking it, but was wondering what the area around it is like. Thanks!
Posted by: plumepoppy

Re: Madrid:Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin - 07/02/02 10:31 PM

Hi! I stayed there for a few nights in late May at the end of a 6 week trip to Europe. I decided to splurge in the last few days as it had been budget all the way, and I wanted to finish the trip in style. It's a luxurious hotel just a few steps from Plaza del Sol and a stone's throw from Cortes Ingles which is very handy as they have a supermarket there. My single room was very big, carpeted, air-conditioned with two double-beds stuck together. The room style is subdued and classic. The mattress was fabulous. There's tv with movies, a mini-bar, very comfortable furniture and a table you can actually spread any reading or writing material. The Plaza San Martin is quite noisy at night but the double (or triple) glazing effectively kept all the noise out. The room was soundproof, and after lots of pleasant but noisy budget hotels, I was in heaven. There were lots of extra blankets in the cupboards as well as a safe. The bathroom had toilet, bath and shower and bidet as well as all the 'stuff' that comes with that class of hotel: comb, soap, etc. Lots and lots of thick towels. There is a 6-person elevator. Most of the staff speak English and are very helpful if a bit over-formal (comes with the territory, I guess). My room came with breakfast which was a buffet. Lots of fruits, toast, various meat sandwiches, etc. coffee and tea. However, I didn't really find it all that filling. It takes an egg not fruit to get me going in the morning! But I'm being picky. Hope this helps! Bon voyage!

Re: Madrid:Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin - 07/03/02 12:26 AM

Thanks plumepoppy! Your descriptions and details about the hotel have really put me at ease. I sure am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I originally was planning on staying at a hostal, but for $50.00 per night, I will gladly stay at the Intur! Once again, many thanks for your quick and informative reply.
Posted by: plumepoppy

Re: Madrid:Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin - 07/03/02 03:03 PM

Hi again! You're welcome but I can see that I didn't really answer your question about location-location-location. The location is great because it's smack in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of Madrid which is very noisy in the evening but the double glazing keeps it all outside the hotel. And a couple of minutes away from both the Puerta del Sol and Opera Metro. You've really hit the jackpot with that price-deal! So, once more, bon voyage.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid:Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin - 07/03/02 03:35 PM

Hi, you two! I've done a Google.com search, but couldn't come up with a website for this hotel. Do you know of one?

Re: Madrid:Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin - 07/04/02 12:28 AM

I found the web site right away on searchalot: www.hotelinturpalacio.com