Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López

Posted by: segoviana

Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/21/02 11:59 PM

My husband and I are trying to find a hostal for the month of July as he is teaching at the university there. I had him call Hostal López since he is from Segovia right near by and I thought they would respond better but they were not helpful at all. The person that answered was upset that we were trying to make a reservation so early and gave him a speech then refused to make a reservation.
We are not sure that we should try again later though as they were kind of rude. This is for a teaching position and we really need to make sure we have reservations. Can someone tell me if I was crazy to be making reservations this early (day before yesterday) and if not then where would be a good place for that same price that would allow us to make the reservation for the month of July?
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/22/02 12:25 AM

I learned a long time ago that most hostels don't like to make reservations more than 2 months in advance because of the liklihood that the patrons will cancel or just not show up. I'm not at all surprised your husband was "lectured" by the woman on the line (probably the mother of the hostel - who always speaks her mind). Remember, these are real people and hard-working people too. They aren't the corporate types and detail-oriented professionals that you'll find at hotels. These are real people with real emotions and real opinions. You won't get "Yes Sir. No Sir" from hostel owners.

I know every member of the López family and they are truly special, sweet, kind, hard-working people doing a 24/7 job with no vacations, nighly interruptions by the bell, phone calls, and rarely able to sit down to a meal with all members in attendance.

Also, hostels don't like to rent rooms for more than 2-weeks. In fact, I'd agree with them. An apartment would probably be MUCH cheaper and much more comfortable for you both. With an apartment you'd have a kitchen, more space, AND you'd save money! Have you looked through the postings in the "Classifieds & Personals" forum about available apartments (I wonder if GoMadrid's apartment has already been rented). I also posted a link to a Madrid apartment I found by chance on the internet.

Best of luck in your search and enjoy your time in Madrid in July! It'll be HOT! :o

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: liz49

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/22/02 11:12 AM

Via email I had a different experience with the Hostal Lopez. I tried to contact them about two weeks ago to make a reservation for three weeks from mid-June to early July. They answered my emails promptly and courteously--unfortunately, they were "completo."

I've also had a somewhat different experience with the length of stay in hostales. I've stayed in several for more than two weeks and had no trouble making a reservation for that length of time. Most recently (though it was four years ago), I did this at the Hostal Residencia Lisboa on c. Ventura de la Vega in Madrid--I stayed there for six weeks. I recommend this place highly (you have to fax or phone)--exterior rooms can be noisy in the summer, but otherwise it's a perfect location run by very nice people.

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/22/02 01:24 PM

<<They aren't the corporate types and detail-oriented professionals that you'll find at hotels.

I know every member of the López family and they are truly special, sweet, kind, hard-working people>>

Thanks Madridman and Liz49 for replying. My husband is Spanish from nearby Segovia (and lived many years in Madrid while at University) and we have stayed in many a hostal before. Neither one of us ever expected the corporate type... We decided to try to stay there due to the glowing reviews specifically about the López family. We have never tried to stay at a hostal more than 1 week at a time though but in this case it is MUCH cheaper than an apartment in Madrid. We don't need the Hostal on the weekends as we have a free place with our family in Segovia. If we cannot stay there a month, or more accurately 19 days, then I will try other places. I will call them in mid May to make the reservation then. Is this about right for going the 1st week in July?

<<I did this at the Hostal Residencia Lisboa on c. Ventura de la Vega in Madrid--I stayed there for six weeks.>>
Liz49 I will check this out. Thank you for the info.
This website is AMAZING and I have already recomended it to all of the students that are coming to Madrid in the program that my husband teaches with. I will post my experiences when I return. Meanwhile if anyone has any questions about Segovia feel free to ask (post). I would be glad to answer.

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/22/02 03:04 PM

Segoviana, it's truly a shame you didn't see the posting by GoMadrid in the " Nice apartment in Madrid " thread in the "Classifieds & Personals" forum. It seems HILDE just snatched up that apartment for the entire month of July! ARGH!!!

Hostal Lisboa in the Huertas area is brand new to the internet and have an impressive website too. If you stay here, please please tell us how you felt about it. We all apreciate "fresh" reviews of some of the lesserknown or new hostels to the internet. Thanks and good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/23/02 05:09 PM

MadridMan and Liz49 do either one of you know how much the Hostal Lisboa is? I received an email ( a very polite one : ) back from Hostal López which is all full for the days I asked for and I cannot get into the webpage for Hostal Lisboa. Also does anyone know if it has A/C as we will be in Madrid in July...?

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/23/02 05:43 PM

Segoviana, the Hostal Lisboa website, while stylishly designed with Java Applets, Flash, and Shockwave technologies, isn't well constructed. You FIRST go to their entry page and watch a nice, little FLASH "movie" about the hostel and Madrid. Then it automatically goes to the main ENTRY page where you choose your language. You see "ENTRAR" below the waving Spanish flag and "ENTER" below the England flag. MY first instinct was (and I did this several times before figuring it out) to click on the waving flag, but I just got a pop-up describing the java applet used to make that darn flag wave! rolleyes I finally figured out that you have to click on the WORD below, "ENTRAR" or "ENTER". When you click on ENTER (for example), it launches a new, FULL screen.. but it's not a browser window so there's no address, no "add to favorites" menu at top, nor can you exit out of it! In fact, you're stuck unless you know how to close it through your task bar at the bottom of your PC screen. ALSO, it's "optimized" (I hate this word in PC-speak.. kind of an oxymoron if you ask me) for 800 X 600 resolution. This means that if you have a crummy monitor or NEED your icons/text BIG for whatever reason and you have your settings at 640 X 480 resolution you're sunk.. you can only see HALF the Hostal Lisboa screen because everything's so BIG! Well, here's the direct link to that page without an address bar: http://www.hostallisboa.com/Hostal_lisboa_eng/index3.htm . Click THIS and you'll get the page in a browser window and you can then save it to your FAVORITES.

So anyway, you get to that page, you look at the Madrid city photos, the services, the prices, and then when you click on the RESERVE button below, the telephone number magically comes up from below. Then you notice a "broken" graphic below that RESERVE button. Curious, you click the mystery graphic and VOILA! You've launched your email program and it's ready to send an email to the fine people at Hostal Lisboa.

So there you go! How's that for a step-by-step on how to use this hostel's website!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/23/02 06:34 PM

ˇGracias Majo!
It works fine now. You are too cool and EXTREMELY helpful. I clicked on the word and like you said presto it worked. I have correspondence with Hostal Jaen tambien for apartments. I will let you know my experiences when I am in Madrid with whomever I stay with and try to add photos too since you are so helpful.
Gracias otra vez.
Segoviana
Posted by: sel

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/28/02 10:45 AM

After hearing mixed reviews on Hostal Lopez, I had a Spanish friend check it out while she was in Madrid. The folks at the hostal were very accommodating and helpful. They have responded promptly to my e-mails and I am staying there for three days in June and three in July with two of my kids (12 and 17). I am nervous about 6 weeks in Spain with kids and limited Spanish and wanted to make certain that we had a dependable place in Madrid. So far, I have been very impressed with all the responses from Hostal Lopez.

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 04/28/02 02:18 PM

Hello sel in Columbus, Ohio. (Hey! We're neighbors!!! Call me on the telephone if you like.) Do a SEARCH using LOPEZ MADRID as your keywords in this forum and abot 95%+ of the reviews are positive. (and there are A LOT of reviews!) Tell them you're a "neighbor" of mine and you'll probably get the royal treatment! (not really, as I'm convinced they treat all clients/patrons the same - very very well)

Have a great time in Spain and please share with us YOUR OWN experiences with Hostal López in Madrid and your other stops here on the message board upon returning. Thanks! Sharing your experiences helps everyone. smile

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: minrik

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 05/09/02 08:44 PM

Let me give you our experience with the Lopez.All e-mails answered promptly (we changed dates once)When we got there on 28 april at 9:00am I got a royal ass chewing from Mother Lopez.Seems we woke her up and they had canceled our 5 day res. because I had made it for the 27th!The nite train from Lisboa must have confused me.Even so-they had a room (just vacated) cleaned and ready for us by 11:00.By this time (and I understand no Spanish)Mother is extremely warm and friendly(she could see my wife was kinda tired)and the stay was great.We will return for this reason.They cuold have told us to get lost but took extra pains to accommodate us.

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 05/09/02 10:21 PM

Hehehehe.. Sorry minrik. No offense, really, but I had to laugh when I read your posting. Mother López is VERY much a "Mother Figure" and it doesn't bother her to chew someone out for things like this. But, like most mothers, after they get it out of their system they're so sweet, charming, and caring. I've seen Mother Lopez "chew ass" before and WOW! You just have to smile at the sight of it. hahahaaha.. She gets very excited, but I love her for this as well as for many other reasons. Really, this is proof that these are real people, REAL FAMILIES running these places and they aren't there to KISS BUTT just to make $34.

I remember getting one email from someone who couldn't believe I recommended Hostal Lopez because the man of the hostel, "Papa Lopez" let's call him, who happens to be about 65 years old, didn't carry the guest's suitcases up 3 flights to stairs to their room from the front door. Just goes to show that some people expect to be treated like kings even though they're only paying a pittance. People/Families who operate hostels aren't wearing a tuxedo/tie and white gloves... they're wearing their everyday house dresses and work clothes and are always happy to help if the request is reasonable.

I, for one, enjoy myself more when I stay in hostels. It's much more home-like and the owners will chat with you about any little thing. You can really get a sense of their everyday lives and how much work is required to operate this respectable business themselves, just the 2 or 3 of them. This contrasts to employees at hotels which only work their 8-hour days, dress in suits/ties, and usually seem too bothered by your presence to answer a simple question.

Well then.. I think I've just vented! (everyone turn away!! hehehe..)

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: quime

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 05/11/02 12:48 PM

when i read about this, i become to think that one of the attractions on visiting madrid must be, or has to be "the experience of madrid hostels". i am ready to feel and live that experience, and as MM says, i will enjoy thenself(the hostels).
sorry again for my english skill
hugs
quime
just 8 days to meet Madrid!... :p for the first time, great!!!
Posted by: taravb

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 05/11/02 01:12 PM

quime, I think you are right. Meeting hostel owners is one of the only ways some travelers interact with Spanish people living their "real lives."

Of course you see waiters/waitresses, shop clerks, etc., but they are all "on display" for customers. Hostel owners (and some small shopkeepers) work in their HOMES, and even though you're paying, you're (1) a guest in their home and (2) also (for a little while) a member of the family. That means you get treated well, in most cases, but also hear what the owners really think about things like coming in late! When I stayed at Antonio's Hostal Chelo, his mom lectured us every time we went out the door about being careful with our bags and cameras! smile

Some of my best travel memories from Spain (and also from other countries, like Italy and Ireland) are of staying in small, family hostels/pensiones and meeting the owners. Even though these people have new faces in their homes every night, they can be so warm and welcoming (I know I can hardly do that with my own mother-in-law!). Some of my experiences:

In the Netherlands, a hostel owner gave us directions to a fabulous "secret" restaurant, and the next morning, cooked us a lovely HUGE breakfast (better even than the legendary big Dutch breakfasts!)--I think because my last name is Dutch and it made him laugh to hear us try to pronounce it "properly."

In Positano, Italy (on my honeymoon), the whole town was closed because it was the low travel season. Our pensione owner cooked us dinner every night (the same dinner his family had) and let his cat visit us in our room.

In Killarney, Ireland, my sister and I were the only guests in a bed & breakfast, and the owner sat and chatted with us over breakfast, telling us all about her family and her town.

In Naples, Italy, in a VERY COLD pensione, the owner brought us a pile of extra blankets and chatted away in FAST Italian for about 20 minutes (we don't speak Italian) about the weather, where to eat, where to shop, etc. I tried speaking Spanish to her, and we understood each other perfectly once she slowed down!

On the Gran Via in Madrid, I returned to a hostel I had been to three years before, and the owner REMEMBERED ME and told me she liked my hair better long (it had been short on the first visit).

There are so many more stories I could tell about the kindnesses of hostel owners. Although you can sometimes be more comfortable in hotels (which may have better mattresses, fluffier towels, etc.), you can't find a warmer welcome than in hostels.

Even the "bad" ones are memorable, if only because there is always something to laugh about (we stayed in one place in Salamanca where they turned the electricity off during the day, and the hostel owner came and yelled at us for trying to turn on a single light to read during siesta time!).

quime, you also have the advantage of being able to speak more easily with hostel owners--I am sure they will all give you a warm welcome to Spain!
Posted by: wyndyl

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 05/11/02 09:04 PM

Quime, I had a wonderful experience at Hostal Chelo . Although, I only stayed for a few short days...Antonio's mom was great! So, was Antonio, though I didn't get to see him much because of school...

I hope to stay there again next year, if they let me...I left in such a rush...leaving a few things cluttered! Sorry Antonio....getting picked up to leave for Barajas at 0410--not a great idea!

Wyndyl smile
Posted by: quime

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 05/12/02 07:14 PM

dear windyl
i will miss antonio´s mom, just because they has not vacancy for the days of my trip. i did reservations but it´s full these days.
anyway, i have read lot about antonio and his mom, and antonio did write me back very quicly. so i have an idea of how nice they could be.
thanks and i still waiting...just 7 days to be part of the family (madrid lovers)
hugs
arQUIMEdes :p
Posted by: metrobilbao

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 05/22/02 10:40 AM

Hey all.... Cincinnati Ohio here and I have stayed once at hostal Lopez in Dec of 2000. It is a wonderfull little place. The Mama "lopez" and daughter"lopez" are accomodating and friendly. The chewing out stories I have read on this board are funny. To someone who doesn't know Spanish culture this chewings may seem harsh but these "Reńidos" rain yee does are just so typical... the are innocuous and harmless generally and arent really a balling out but a little reprimand. The drama and body language of spain is much stronger then in the USA and it makes whats happening seem more than what it is.
I'll be staying there again this summer and cant wait to get back and see them....

Rand in Cinci
Posted by: rainspooner

Re: Madrid: reservation problems with Hostal López - 05/22/02 01:31 PM

The Lopez' are very considerate folks...

When I stayed there just two weeks ago, I had rinsed out some t-shirts and shocks and hung them to dry on the line in the courtyard outside our room.

It started to rain later in the day and I was worried that my clothes would be all wet. When I got back the room that PM, the clothes had been pulled in off the line and were hanging in the room.

Little things like that are nice and unexpected.

PS: The worn-down wood steps leading up from the street to Hostal Lopez were so cool and lent lots of character.