Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan

Posted by: MadridMan

Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/15/10 02:50 PM

Friday, 23 July 2010 will be the date of the next "Party with MadridMan in Madrid". partypair

Where: El Brillante, rear terraza, across from Atocha, immediately below the Hotel Mediodia.
When: 9pm

Thought it was time to return to MadridMan's "old stomping grounds" once again. There, they have two terrazas, front and back, and many tables. Yes, it's a popular place but a few fewer tourists, the beer and food is cheap & good, and there we have history. I'll try to get there a little early to get the first table and see if we can put one or two more together (which is always a challenge - oftentimes it's challenging just to get ONE table!).

I'll wait by the back door while looking/waiting for a table. If I'm not there, wait by the same door and I'll keep an eye out for you.

If someone has any other brilliant ideas about another terraza which might A) be better located, B) be likely to have tables for a group on a Friday night, or C) give us free beer I'm all ears.

Saludos, MadridMan cheers (hope there's not a metro strike on this day)

A photo from our July 2008 gathering. SOME of these same people will be attendance.

And if you don't know already, look for this ugly mug. Yeah, that's me (taken at about 2am in the Chocolatería San Gines).

Posted by: sallyanne

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/15/10 03:20 PM

Hi
I hope to be able to make this one laugh

I need some time out....am too busy these days, I deserve a break.
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/15/10 06:30 PM

fantastic idea! See you then!
Posted by: jacmom

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/16/10 11:04 AM

I'll let Julie know about this gathering although she has summer classes and it is the weekend before the end of them.

Should have said Juliana, as that is what she prefers in Madrid.
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/17/10 05:53 AM

Nice to see the photo again of the night in Plaza San Andrés !!! Wow that was a great meeting ! Wasn´t that the day that uyour friend´s cousin turned up ... just happened to be walking by . I think I have that photo somewhere .

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/19/10 10:44 AM

Someone suggested getting some tables at one of the many terrazas of the much-cooler Casa de Campo instead, right in front of the lake. Any thoughts on this topic? Too far away? Not downtown enough? Too expensive? Unfamiliar?

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/19/10 08:06 PM

MM, I think we would prefer to be more centric that night. We have to get up for an early flight to Santiago, so we can't make it a late night frown
But, I hope that is okay with everyone else.
Posted by: jazz

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/20/10 05:29 AM

Look at Taberna Miranda "Plaza conde de miranda 4" near Plaza mayor,before was a good place,now..I don't know. They have a cave of the 13th century .. very interesting and "huevos rotos y morcilla"were fantastic.

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/20/10 08:38 AM

I totally love the terrazas in Casa del Campo.. but with the on and off metro strikes it´s probably too far out . Jazz´s suggestion of the 13th century cave is appealing ... but for another day ... too hot to be underground !
Can´t we reserve a table in San Andrés ? I don´t recall the name of the restaurant .. but great location and good food !

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/20/10 10:21 AM

I agree with the more centric locations. The person suggesting the Casa de Campo claimed that with metro and bus service being nearby that it wouldn't matter - but I'm with you.

Last time we had the gathering at the Plaza de San Andrés they told me I could not reserve tables on the terraza, probably because I couldn't give them an exact head-count. I'd almost rather have it there but that place is so busy and popular that we might be standing for quite awhile and (it's my impression that) they don't serve standers, only sitters.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/22/10 11:02 AM

So.....where will it be?? The more central the better for me obviously laugh

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/22/10 12:09 PM

We'll have it at El Brillante as planned, sallyanne. Just be prepared, just in case, to stand. And who knows, we may all have to go to the spacious indoor bar. There's also rain expected (but doubt that) so if it does rain, look for us inside.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/22/10 12:11 PM

Ok MM, excellent, thank you...I really can´t see it raining!

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/23/10 03:09 AM

Looking forward to seeing some of you tonight at El Brillante, some of which I haven't seen, probably, since the last Party with MadridMan!

Saludos, MadridMan cheers
Posted by: laduque

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/23/10 06:51 AM

Can't wait to see you all at El Brilliante tonight!!! I could use a drink as my hubby left this morning back home to San Diego and I need cheering up!!!
Posted by: LaJuliana

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/23/10 08:36 AM

Hey, that sounds good to me! I think I'll want a break from final projects! I will see everyone there, MadridMan, Steve, Sally! And I hope to meet Esperanza! Will Marisa be there?

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/23/10 01:49 PM

Tick Tock! I'll be celebrating(?), among other things, the last Cooking Club Class we had earlier today. Can't wait for that first "JARRA de CERVEZA"!

See (many of) you in about an hour!! cheers Hope you've seen my photo earlier in this thread so you can pick ME out of a crowd because I may not know YOU (yet).

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/24/10 11:47 AM

A few of steve's photos:

Posted by: la historiadora

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/25/10 09:10 PM

Oh, so jealous that I couldn't be there! I have such fond memories from the summer 2008 gathering -- glad to see the photo again grin -- when I met MadridMan, steve robinson, laduque, and others in Plaza San Andres! Looks like you had a great time and a big crowd. Hope to see you all again in the near future. smile xfingers

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/27/10 09:21 AM

La historiadora .. you would´ve been a very welcome addition to the group !
We were 18-20 people so the only problem was that it was difficult for me to talk to everyone . LaDuque was a few seats away but did manage to move closer .. Esperanza was at the other end of the table with her daughter . I had a GREAT time but I wonder if you could arrange the tables more sociably .. or whether terraces should consider having big round tables , like you get in chinese restaurants .
The terraces in summer attract big groups so I think they would be well used .

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 07/29/10 04:34 AM

I agree with you, Steve, that a round table would have been much better for our group. I feel like I missed a lot of the conversations. All in all, though, it was lots of fun and great to see such a wonderful turn out.

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 08/02/10 09:34 AM

This, for one reason, is why I'm not such a fan of big-group-gatherings as you don't often get the chance to speak with everyone because they're at the other end of the tables. That's why I changed seats a couple times.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 08/02/10 02:05 PM

wow that was a big group indeed. Too bad missed it::) but was dangling around London pint world.
Posted by: ChrisS

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 09/11/11 03:49 PM

MM when's the next meet up?

slds,
Chris

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 09/11/11 04:59 PM

Depends! When will YOU be here? It could be next month or it could be in December. It's been 1-year since the last one and we're WAY overdue. Time to part-ey. wink

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: Madrid: 23 July 2010 Party with MadridMan - 09/12/11 11:02 AM

Well I put some dates out there!

I will be in Madrid from October 6 - October 11, 2011 and fly out on October 12. I ready to do my part to keep the "Party with MadridMan" tradition alive. If someone picks a date for this I free that day. smile

Bill