MadridMan July get-together? 2008

Posted by: la historiadora

MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/05/08 12:53 PM

Hola fellow board members! It sounds like there will be quite a few people in Madrid at the end of July, so I am going to get the ball rolling and suggest we organize a get-together. I don't care if we do a leisurely afternoon comida at a favorite local restaurant or an evening of tapas and copas at some bars and terrazas.

I will not be in Madrid the entire time I am in Spain, so I will offer one day that would be good for me: Wednesday July 30. If that is really bad for a lot of people, we could try for another time, too.

Looking forward to meeting some of you! wave
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/05/08 01:16 PM

Me! Me! I'm In! I'm In!!! :jump:

How many among us - whom will be available in Madrid - would prefer a lunch and whom would prefer a tapas dinner on a terraza somewhere? I'm up for either one.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: laduque

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/05/08 02:53 PM

As la historiadora, I will be out of Madrid for a few days too.
I am available in Madrid for either/both/or of the above options from July 17-23 and then from August 2-21st. Of course, since I will have loads of free time in August-I am up for a few lunches!

If all who are in Madrid could post the available dates, then we can narrow it down.
I'm so excited to have a MM get together! clap
Posted by: Pia

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/06/08 02:01 PM

I wilöl be going to Madrid for the first time tomorrow and I'm staying until Saturday the 12th. I'll check this thread in case you decide to do something during next week smile

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/06/08 05:49 PM

Pia, be sure to check the " Madrid Restaurants? Get Together? " thread for info about a possible lunch gathering this week.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/06/08 08:37 PM

Hmmmm... laduque, the only other time where I would be able to schedule when we're all in Madrid on the same day is Tuesday July 22. I will doublecheck to make sure that I don't have anything else planned that day, but would that work?

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/06/08 10:36 PM

That would work for me. Actually, I have friends from the States joining us in Madrid on the 23rd, so technically I will be in Madrid till the 26th, then we all head out to Cullera for a few days. My b-day is on the 25th, and I am doing the traditional Spanish thing and taking family to dinner.
So, I would say the 22nd is great for me!~ xfingers
Posted by: canspan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/07/08 02:59 AM

I'll be in Madrid, or outlying areas, till the end of the month so I'm up for a lunch(es) or dinner(s) or whatever. I'm eager to share Madrid with you all, been there many times and am looking forward to new memories.

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/07/08 02:59 AM

Ah, man! And I'll be out of town from July 20-27th. Looks like I'll miss everyone! Oh well, it seems it'll have to be a "Party WITHOUT MadridMan" this time around. frown frown frown

laduque, maybe we can get together again in August when you're back in Madrid!! xfingers

rolleyes Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/07/08 11:49 AM

MM, I will be around all of August, so it won't be a "maybe", my friend, I owe you a lunch (and a copa or two)!
I also need some time away from the suegros rolleyes

I am dissapointed you will be out of town that week, if you all want to change it back to the 30th, I may be able to get away for a few hours (my friends fly home the next day)...
I think la historiadora should keep it to her original date so that MM can join you guys.

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/07/08 12:07 PM

Sounds good, laduque. You let me know either in a Private Message or start a new "Get Together" thread if you'd like to open it up to others.

la historiadora, your time in Madrid is YOUR time so make the gathering date as it works for you. Don't worry about me. If I cannot attend you can be sure I'll see you the next time around.

Keep the discussions going. The more activity we have the more likely others will see it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/07/08 08:33 PM

Oh, drat! I chatted with my traveling amigas and the 22nd will not work out for me after all. frown If you want to go ahead and schedule a get-together for that day, I totally understand. I will check back and maybe the 30th will work out anyway...

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/08/08 12:18 AM

I think the 30th should be the scheduled date, I will be in Madrid, my friends will still be in town, but I bet they would love to join us too!
The 30th means la historiadora AND MM will make it!
So will that work for everyone? Any other board friends that can make it that day?

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/08/08 02:31 AM

If we have it on the 30th I'll definitely make it!!! :jump: Let us know when you know so we'll know. You know? wink

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/08/08 11:02 PM

Barring any strange/emergency change of travel plans, I will be there on the 30th! clap

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/09/08 01:58 AM

Excellent! The 30th it will be then. Now, shall we make it a lunch or go for tapas on some terraza?

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/09/08 12:17 PM

I'm up for either, do you think tapas in the evening, say at Ceverceria San Andres would be a bit cooler (weather wise) than a lunch? After a copa and tapa there, we can stroll down the Cava Baja, I know some fabulous places along that street!

If that doesn't sound good, i'm still up for lunch, very flexible I am!
Steve robinson, will you be around on that date?
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/09/08 03:50 PM

Laduque .. I should be .. I'm currently nursing a serious 3 or 4 days of partying at Gay Pride here ( Orgullo ) and being completely stupid as to have sat for an hour or so in full sun in Plaza de Chueca on Saturday ( It was close to 100 degrees in the shade ) .... Sometimes the "moment" just takes me over and I forget common sense .
Oh and it's still hot here folks .. Please take care .. It can really creep upon you .
But I hope to see you guys .

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/09/08 04:09 PM

laduque, you must have read my mind. I was thinking of that same terraza on the Plaza de San Andres!

Let's try for an evening with tapas. The bars along the Cava Baja can be full of people, hot, loud, and impossible to talk so I may "take leave" after the tapas at the terraza. But that's fine. We should try meeting semi-early at about 8pm.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/09/08 06:06 PM

Woo, hoo! If that works for la historiadora, then we have a date...AND a venue!
Let's keep these plans for now, unless someone has another idea...
Any others out there who can join us:
Get together with Madrid Man friends
July 30th
Cerverceria San Andres in the Plaza San Andres
8pm'ish! :hdspin:

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/09/08 10:53 PM

I'm glad we have a time, a date and a venue! Could someone please give a little bit of directions to Cerveceria San Andres with Metro stop, etc.? I'm afraid I don't know it very well -- and I imagine there might be others who don't, either -- so it'd be helpful. Gracias and I'm looking forward to it! wave

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/10/08 03:51 AM

Plaza San Andrés, 4 is the address. Now that I plug in this address to http://www.Google.com/maps I see it can't locate it correctly. It's between the Plaza de la Paja and the Plaza de la Cebada (the HUGE bubble-roofed market) and is very close to the LA LATINA metro station, directly next to La Iglesia de San Andres on a pedestrian plaza. If you start at "Puerta Cerrada" below the Plaza Mayor and start walking downhill on the Cava Baja OR the Cava Alta, both streets will finalize just 20 meters from the Plaza de San Andres. It's true that this plaza is just a little hidden. I hope they're open when we get there!

Looking forward to it! Hope we don't have too much trouble getting a table although they have many.

The below photo is the terraza on the Plaza de San Andres. The Cerveceria San Andres is the yellow painted building on the corner on the left.

We had a Party with MadridMan at this terraza in the spring of 2004. See thread and more photos HERE

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/10/08 11:24 PM

Oh, I totally recognize this! I was there once a long time ago with some friends and I remember how much I liked the area. However, I wasn't paying attention to where we went and since then I couldn't remember that neighborhood. I looked at my notes from that trip after seeing your photo, and now I remember we had gone to El Bonanno which is right there, too.

MM's directions from Plaza Mayor were very helpful. I might add that the Puerta Cerrada exit is the southwest corner of the Plaza Mayor, where you exit to go to Calle de los Cuchilleros (the street where the famous Botin restaurant is located). Calle de los Cuchilleros becomes Calle Cava Baja and then follow it to the end as MadridMan says.

Looks great! thumbsup

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/12/08 02:13 AM

BOINK!!

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/15/08 01:10 PM

Had lunch at the Cervecería San Andres just today. Decent service, big terraza, good views, and good prices. Should be a fine for our little get together at the end of the month. xfingers

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/16/08 02:40 PM

Boink!

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/18/08 06:02 PM

Boink!
Posted by: Yankaluz

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/21/08 11:33 PM

Oh man! I'm still kicking myself for missing the one on 2006 by mere days,,, it sounds like fun, I hope you all have a real good time!

Pour one down for the homies back home, OK?

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/23/08 06:00 PM

Hey , hope everybody's ready for the lunch .. Feeling much better after 2 weeks of cool English coastal air .. Man , like walking through a sauna here in Madrid now ( be prepared !) ... Nice to hear the cicadas from my balcony ... A nice cold bottle of Rueda would do nicely thank you . Looking forward to seeing you guys .

Steve

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/27/08 12:48 PM

Boink! Time's countin' down! See you there on the 30th at 8pm!

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/28/08 02:37 PM

Two more days! Hope it's not TOO unbearably hot at the 8pm meeting time. cool
Posted by: sallyanne

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/29/08 02:51 AM

MadridMan, stop complaining about the weather, it is beautiful. wink

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/29/08 03:23 AM

See you all/few tomorrow night at Cervecería San Andrés! Looking forward to a relaxing evening out.

And the weather IS beautiful - in different parts of Spain. cool

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/29/08 10:11 AM

Hello everyone! I´m still here and will be joining everyone at Cerverceria San Andres, it will be my, my husband, my friends from the States. We are driving to Madrid tonight from Cullera where we just spent 4 muggy, sweaty, sticky days on the beach...can´t wait to go back to the dry heat of Madrid (never thought i´d crave madrid heat, but after humidity, it´s paradise)......
see you all mañana.

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/29/08 01:04 PM

Looking forward to seeing you and your husband again, laduque! See you there in about 25 hours from now! thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/29/08 02:53 PM

The weather has been great here! Was in Andalucia last week and even there not too terrible. See you all in less then 24 hours - looking forward to it! clap
Posted by: jazz

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/29/08 03:37 PM

Will it she try go? What true

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/30/08 06:11 AM

We shouldn't expect too many people there tonight (8pm). It is summer, afterall, and lots of people are on vacation/holiday. If it's smaller and intimate, that'd be nice too, easier to talk.

I'll try to be there a few minutes early to snag the first table and as people arrive we'll try to put more tables together - if they let us. That can be a problem if there's lots of people at the terraza. We'll see if we have luck.

You can be sure I'll take my camera and will post photos tomorrow sometime. thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: canspan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/30/08 09:48 AM

I'm (unfortunately) back in Canada but just wanted to post to say hello to all and thank MadridMan for his kind words about me as well as the advice about living there and to say that I hope you all have a great time as I'm sure you undoubtedly will.

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/31/08 07:51 AM

PARTY PHOTOS! The following are only a select few of the many party photos but I think I chose the best 4.

What fun we had! A total of 10 people showed up, including two which were under 5 years old! These two are avid posters on the message board but it's really difficult to understand what they're writing as it appears they simply bang on the keyboard. wink

Other MadridMan Parties have been fun but somewhat unmanageable due to the size. This time we had 8 adults sitting around two tables put together and we could all talk easily at the same time without shouting (except for when the Big Band started playing behind us). In all 8 adults, we were one Brit, two Spaniards, and 3 United Statesens (a.k.a. Americans).

Most arrived at the terraza shortly after 8pm and we waited for a good 15 minutes before a table came available. Most all stayed until about midnight. Time really does fly when you're having so much fun with lively conversation with great people, wine, GOOD food/tapas.

You'll notice in the below photos that member la historiadora is "pixeled out"- which is a real shame. (she's internet-photo-shy. Maybe she had a bad experience once)

above L-to-R: MadridMan, laduque, husband-of-laduque, Bill, son-of-Bill-and-Cynthia, Cynthia, la historiadora, Oiram, and (not pictured - because he's taking the photo) steve robinson.

above L-to-R: Oiram and steve robinson

above L-to-R: Oiram, MadridMan, la historiadora, laduque

above L-to-R: FOOD! good bread, bienmesabe (? white fish), oreja a la plancha (behind glass of beer - grilled pigs' ears), pimientos de padrón (spicy, salted, grilled green peppers), calamares (behind glass of white wine - fried squid rings), down below is a delicious plate of chopitos (little fried squids. mmmmm... :p ). Had a bottle of Rosado (rosé) wine, a couple bottles of Rueda white wine, and beer. oh, and Fanta de Naranja for the kids.

Goooood times.... Gooood times..... Until the next party!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/31/08 01:49 PM

What a fabulous time we had last night! and MM´s youngest board member was there'my daughter, hee, hee.....I felt like I was enjoying the company of old friends, everyone is so wonderfully nice and happy (who wouldn´t be on a terazza in the middle of Madrid)....
it was great meeting la historiadora and Mario for the first time and seeing my old pals Steve and MM....
until the next time, laduque wave
Posted by: Yankaluz

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/31/08 03:03 PM

Wow! How envious in a healthy way... the pix of the tapas are killing me though...

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/31/08 04:04 PM

Hey Laduque ,don't hesitate to call me while you're here .I loved your company and that of your husband too !
And of everybody .Everybody really got on well and it was a real pleasure to see the kids enjoying themselves .
So what tapas did we have -- Pimintos padrones , Chipirones , Morcilla , Lacon , Pan ( claro que si ! ) , Fried fish , aceitunas .. a veritable feast ..And plenty of vino rosado y blanco ..
All this on a terrace until past midnight and STILL in the eighties ( degrees farenheight ) .. I walked home to Barrio Salamanca ... got back about 1:30am .. And Madrid was just beginning to party !!!!!!!! What a great city to live in ! VivaMadrid ! Mario , send meyour e-mail address and i'll send you the photos . Steve
Posted by: jazz

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/31/08 04:10 PM

Que putada, vosotros comiendo chópitos y pimientos de piquillo y yo trabajando. Excusarme por no poder ir. A la espera de la próxima
Posted by: esperanza

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 07/31/08 07:05 PM

It sounds like you guys had a great time! I am jealous...especially seeing those delicious pimientos de padron! I cannot believe that it was still so hot in the evening though. That is the only thing I did not miss. Here in Argentina it is winter and the weather this year has been mild.

It was nice to see your familiar faces, MM, laduque and your husband, and Steve Robinson. La historiadora too! I am happy to put a face to a name. Thanks for posting the photos.

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 08/01/08 12:53 AM

Ah yes, a bit camera shy, so sorry! wink But, I'm definitely not sorry I was able to attend! I had a great time meeting everyone in person and I'm so glad that all of us were able to arrange a time and a place in Madrid at the end of July. The food, the setting and especially the company were all fantastic. Thanks so much, everyone! I look forward to another reunion the next time I'm in Madrid! wave

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 08/01/08 03:03 AM

la historiadora, it was great meeting you for the first time. Hope you had a good flight home.

steve robingson, it's true, I forgot about the lacón and morcilla which we ordered later. More good additions to the Spanish feast, as you say.

And while the temperature was no doubt in the 80sºF by midnight, there was a nice breeze the whole time and I'm certain I wasn't sweating so it was all gooooood.

jazz, hope you can attend the next one!

esperanza, maybe we can try another evening gathering while you're here next month. (it is next month, right?)

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 08/01/08 07:12 AM

YeaHH Historiadora .... So nice to meet you ...look forward to the next time you're in Madrid
besos ... Steve
Posted by: esperanza

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 08/02/08 05:40 PM

hi MadridMan! unfortunately I will not be in Madrid next month! My daughter will be there starting classes at the end of the month, but we won´t be going with her. She is on her own. We will come for a visit at Thanksgiving. So,hopefully we can get together then! smile
Posted by: oiram

Re: MadridMan July get-together? 2008 - 08/03/08 06:38 AM

Hi everyone
it was very nice to see MM and friends here in Madrid again.

...Steve I already sent you a reminder for those pictures!

uff que calor!
oiram