Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007

Posted by: MadridMan

Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/16/07 06:35 PM

Anyone want to meet up for lunch on Thursday, February 22nd? Member JA and I are meeting but we're open for more to attend. Say about 2pm? Usually we make it earlier but I can't this time around so 2pm it is. Should we go to La Puebla again? There, the food is good, plentiful, and affordable.

I'll "bump" this topic daily to keep it in the minds/eyes of viewers.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/17/07 08:13 AM

saw it but too fast too soon...book solid for that week;kids are on holiday in my area!!!

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/19/07 03:57 PM

(the below is a near-copy from a previous thread but it still rings true! La Puebla it is!)

OKAY! Seems like "La Puebla" is becoming a new MadridMan Favorite. We've had, now, 3 of these MadridMan lunches there. RELIABLE & Economical. I choose this place because, unlike at busy (and good) "La Sanabresa", we can put 2 or 3 tables together without problem because at 2:00pm there are few people - by 2:30pm the place will be FULL. Plus, there's a large selection for their TWO Menús del Día.

Let's meet to eat at 2:00pm @ La Puebla @ Calle Ventura de la Vega, 12 , near Puerta del Sol on the edge of the Huertas neighborhood.

[img]http://qdqphotos.mappy.com/1/c/tbf/user=esphoto;uri=XHI2yGfU9OoT8TRmVoWolKpiMP91PJQVcLyG9a1UJfb8mG40oUXwV6aglK3yWsEnVaogfrEKppmRbdeuCMJeE6Dt/8iQpRxB99+iLGb8wq0pufm5mHPNpGFXiLCpHtO6MPBArHS/Sc7XEJZ4nytwxJjG8g7KeqSMNgwYKbF/r5q3m76SQDWHPA==[/img]

I've been notified by 3 people already that they'll be attending (2 of them are message board members - show up to find out who they are!)

See you all on Thursday, February 22nd! And if there are others reading this who are NOT message board members - no problem. Come anyway!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: SRedw

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/20/07 11:17 AM

Just wanted to say ENJOY YOUR LUNCH. The food is great there, the atmosphere very cozy, the waiters dazzling. Don't get any ideas now . . . gotcha

Shawn

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/20/07 11:41 AM

That's where I met you, SRedw! (and frown <sniff!> never saw you again... wink ) Thanks for your input. The food was rather good there. Can't wait to go back.

Saludos, MadridMan/ BarcelonaMan

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/20/07 01:19 PM

I'll tell you why you never saw me again. Work was calling and money was tight. That's why I'm back in the US now. Plan on coming back soon, though. As soon as I know when, I'll let you know.

Don't cry for me MadridMan. I never left your side. cloud9

Shawn
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/21/07 04:04 AM

I'll be there tomorrow . Sorry I haven't posted earlier . Busy schedule ( You know that's not true , right ) .. Looking forward to it . And , Shawn , it'd be really nice to meet you one day !! Steve .

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/21/07 08:20 AM

Sounds great, steve robinson! Looking forward to seeing you again. Didn't we originally meet at this place long ago?

Now the "confirmed guest list" is up to 5 persons. Any and all are welcome. If you're not a message board member and would like to meet other travelers and locals, just show up!

Saludos, MadridMan smile
Posted by: neilstrauss23

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/21/07 08:26 AM

Hola MadridMan!!

The last time was on your party last december we saw each other!but ive been here last summer!!

again problem for me is 2:30 i out of work, but by 2:45 i might be in sol! can i catch up?

Neilstrauss23 laugh

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/21/07 01:28 PM

neilstrauss, didn't I meet you for the first time at La Puebla too? OF COURSE you can catch up? We'll certainly be there until 3 or even 4pm! Hope to see you there.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/22/07 04:33 AM

See you all at La Puebla at 2pm! We'll try to wait outside the door (unless it's raining) a few minutes but look for us inside too. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/22/07 11:43 AM

I hope that lunch was dreamy. cloud9

Shawn

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/22/07 05:45 PM

Great lunch ... Thanks MM really appreciated it and what a passionate debate !! JeJe . I have to say That the Revuelto de Ajetes y morcilla was excellent ... And the cochifrito was great too . AND , I thought the house white wine was pretty damn good ... Not the vinegar/acid I was expecting ! It was great meting up with the other guys so let's not leave it too long for the next meeting ! Thanks MM too for dealing with the drama afterwards .... somewhat unexpected ..... But it'll be a good bar story for me . Looking forward to a few photos .
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/22/07 10:36 PM

Drama? You guys are not sharing?

No photos too?

Bill

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/23/07 05:59 AM

Hehehe... It's not that I wasn't sharing, Bill from NYC, it's that I was sleeping!

The lunch WAS GREAT and we arrived right at 2pm - the place was already about half full but they could push together two tables for the 5 of us, awaiting a 6th. By 2:30pm, the place was ABSOLUTELY full until about 4pm. By the time we left, what, 5pm (?), the place was ABSOLUTELY EMPTY and we were the last ones to leave.

They offer THREE lunch Menús at La Puebla. Menú 1 is 9.80€ and there are about 12 choices for your first course and 12 choices for your second course. They have a Menú 2, which is 11.30€, and they had about the same number of choices. Then they had a LARGE Menú which was 22€ and had "higher class" food choices.

I the Menú 2. From the long list of choices for first course I chose the Arroz a la Cubana[/b], which was a small tower of rice near the edge of a large plate, a large fried egg, a large pool of ketchup covering half of the plate, and a slice of banana. Wow. It was good!

For the second course I chose the [i]cordero con patatas
(lamb with potatoes). It was good too, but not as much meat as I'd hoped.

For dessert I chose (one of) their house specialty, the pudin casero (a homemade, firm custard).

Other people had the cochinillo which they said was good, paella, and wow, steve robinson's first course of Revuelto de Ajetes y morcilla (a mix of fried morcilla and a kind of green bean) looked ESPECIALLY good. Mmmmm.. I'll get that next time for a first course.

In attendance were members steve robinson, JA and his wife from New York City, neilstrauss, Mercedes, and ME! One person cancelled at the last minute. Too bad. He missed some good food and lively political conversation and debate among "same side" protagonists.

As for the "drama" mentioned above by steve robinson, it's really his story (which took place long after the lunch) - I was mainly a bystander, so if/when he wants to share it either here or at a bar after a few drinks is up to him.

I only took one photo during the lunch which you'll see below. Starting at the bottom left and moving clockwise you'll find:

steve robinson (member), Mercedes (member), Judy, and JA (member). I'm not pictured because I'm taking the photo and neilstrauss came a bit later - you've all seen him in photos of previous MadridMan get togethers.

¡Until next time! Saludos, MadridMan thumbsup
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/23/07 08:01 AM

MadridMan

Thanks for sharing. thumbsup

It sounds like you had a wonderful MadridMan lunch again and I always hate reading things like what you ate before I have lunch.

Because today I going to have a boring lunch that will make a grown man cry! smile

Bill
Posted by: La Sorpresa

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/23/07 09:52 AM

Thanks for the detailed lunch FOOD description....I live for that. clap

Just in case anyone wants to plan ahead....I will be in Madrid from Apr 28 to May 2, and May 7 to MAy 11 and would love to meet some board members if any of those days are good.

I will post sooner to my trip, though, I know it is too early to decide on a date at this point. Just wanted to put it out there......

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/23/07 02:45 PM

Hola a todos!

LIFO, ( Last in First Out). Sorry MM for the late and for the early exit. i had a work. An I owe you one.. so lets meet up one day..

I had my POllo Asado with me garnish with Potato.. and for the dessert i had a pudding. Its my second time at this place and great that at the first meet up i met MM..that was last june or july..

I heard about the drama.. can i come over to listen to it!!

Yeah i wasnt in the picture but i was in MM party last december... i took some photographs that has been published here...

have a good weekend ahead

Neilstrauss ( MEMBER ) from Spain, yeah im spanish now. I got my card.. although i was born here...
smile

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/24/07 09:57 AM

Glad you could make it, neilstrauss23! Good seeing you again. Hopefully we'll be able to have another lunch sometime next month. Let's see.

Saludos, MadridMan smile
Posted by: laduque

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/24/07 03:57 PM

Greeting to Steve! and to Neil! Congrats to Neil on his card.
MM, was this the place we met for lunch last July when I brought my family. I remember the food was delicioso!
I can't wait to join you for lunch this July!

Thanks for posting the picture and the meal details.....
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/24/07 04:28 PM

I am also happy you shared a picture and all the details of the lunch. That is the same place we all ate at last July. Neil and Steve were at that meal too! laduque, that was a fun lunch we shared back in July, wasn't it? MadridMan, my daughters and I are going to be back in Madrid :jump: looking at colleges at the end of March thru the first week of April. I hope you can plan another lunch for one of those days. It would be great to get together again.

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/25/07 06:29 AM

laduque/esperanza, THAT'S THE PLACE, yes, where we all met last July. We sat at almost the same place too but maybe one or two tables deeper last July.

laduque, we'll DEFINITELY have to schedule another lunch/meet-up when you're back in Madrid. I wouldn't miss it. Errr.... now that I'm thinking about it, MAYBE I WILL miss it!! eek I'll be OUT of Madrid at least half of July (probably the latter half, visiting family back in Ohio and maybe to somewhere in Central or South America) so let's see.

esperanza, there's a good chance we'll be able to meet-up when you're here at the end of March through the first week of April, although I'll be popping in and out of Madrid throughout that busy, springtime travel season.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/25/07 08:42 AM

MadridMan, Come to ARGENTINA this July!! You (and your ("significant other") will love it!

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/25/07 01:33 PM

esperanza, I'D LOVE TO go to Argentina! We had to cancel plans for that trip a couple years ago and would like to try again. Maybe I'll push for that but my significant other is pushing for Costa Rica - which I hear is great. We'll see. xfingers

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/25/07 01:38 PM

We'll definitely run into each other in the beginning of July then, we are looking at the last week of June till the end of July.

Can';t wait for another MM gathering! Steve and Neil will have to be there too.
Esperanza-are you going to go to Spain in the summer too, or is it just in April this year?

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/25/07 02:06 PM

laduque, I am going to return to Argentina this summer!

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/26/07 08:17 AM

That lunch last year was a great lunch and my first, it was really really nice. Good memories there!!

Laduque. Thanks for much....yeah i got already my card at last...

Esperanza.. definitely i will be there..Ill keep on posted...Steve and I will be there!!

MM.. I will come again... I'll be in Manila this coming April so i still be updated here in this forum..

PLAN PLAN PLAN...

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/26/07 09:39 AM

Hey , just thought i'd clear up the "drama" thing . We all had a great lunch ... great food and great company ... MM and I went for a final drink in a bar near Sant' Ana . When we left , MM was taking some fotos with his new toy ( A very cool Sony digital ) , and I was waiting for him by the pedestrian crossing . When he finished , I turned around quickly and slammed my head into the pedestrian crossing control panel ( cast iron ) .... Huge amounts of blood ... MM was a diamond and very cool... especially since he was covered in blood too !Local cafe provided napkins to stem the bleeding , them a blood donation mobile centre cleaned me up . Then to a Centro de Salud where the service and nurses were wonderful ... Friendly and professional . I now have 2 stitches ( puntos ) in the head that are due to removed ASAP . So that was it .

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/26/07 10:42 AM

Oh my goodness steve, that is drama! good to hear you are fine.

Esperanza: have a great trip to Argentina, (one place on my list of must see's someday). We'll run into each other the following year, ok?

Neil: Happy travels to Manila! be safe! See you in the summer!

I'm getting excited about seeing my forum friends in Madrid this summer!

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/26/07 12:29 PM

Again,Im here commenting.

Steve: I hope everything is fine with you... frown That was thursday after our lunch.

Esperanza: Wow Argentina.Be safe as well on your travel, send me a postcard will you??

Laduque: See u in Summer!! Let me check some souvenir from manila for you and for MM.

MM: we will meet next month so.. ill tell some details..

Have a safe travel to everyone..

BTW, forum friends, what plans for you this years travelling?

Neilstrauss23 smile

Re: Madrid lunch: Feb.22, 2007 - 02/26/07 04:35 PM

neilstrauss23 wrote:
Quote:
BTW, forum friends, what plans for you this years travelling?
Let's leave that to another thread. Start one in the World Travel Forum category if you like - unless you're referring, specifically, to Spain in which case that'd be the "Favorite Places" forum category. Thanks!

See some of you at the next "Lunch With MadridMan in Madrid!"

Saludos, MadridMan/BarcelonaMan