Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/18/05 05:15 PM

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a gathering! October 15

Place: To be Discussed
Time: To be Discussed.

Lets Rock!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/18/05 08:15 PM

Anywhere in Spain in particular? If you're thinking of a specific city, please click the pen/pencil icon and edit your subject line and include the city location. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: gazpacho

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/18/05 09:40 PM

How 'bout,

Oct 15. 8:00 p.m.

Columbus, OH

Right at the MadridMan's doorway, everyone bring a bota bag. Someone bring the paella, someone else the sangria, tapas...etc. I'll try to arrange for the flamenco dancers.

laugh Well, that's about as close to Spain as I'll be able to afford this year....And come to think of it, with the price of gas, can we meet on the Michigan/Ohio border?!?!? smile smile

Sorry MM, couldn't resist. Wouldn't do this to you unless I called 15 minutes in advance. :o frown
Posted by: robbieroy

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/19/05 01:33 PM

Hey Joe
I will be in Madrid from 12th to 20th October. Count me in.
Robbieroy
Posted by: JoeSambuca

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/19/05 06:12 PM

COOL Robbie!
So far we have two in my NY contingent and one from Madrid. SO! keep posted for all the details
I'm sure we'll get some more recruits for the bash.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/22/05 10:24 AM

There's a POSSIBILITY that I'll be attending this one! Woo Hoo! Not 100% yet but probably better than 50%! smile

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: ChrisR

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/22/05 11:25 AM

I'll be in Madrid and will follow the developments. Attendence will depend on time, location and other commitments. Hope MM can make it!

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/22/05 01:10 PM

COOOOOOOOOl! I hope u can show MadridMan!
Posted by: YZYZ

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/24/05 05:10 AM

Iīm already in Madrid and will be here for quite some time! Post details when available.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/24/05 12:06 PM

By my reckoning, that makes SIX so far (if there are three in your party Joe) and provided MM can get get a ticket to Madrid.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/24/05 01:05 PM

robbieroy wrote:
Quote:
and provided MM can get a ticket to Madrid.
Already got the ticket. I'm just not certain I'm still going - but it's looking better everyday. Woo Hoo!

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/24/05 02:30 PM

That is good news MM. I hope it continues to look better until it's cetain!

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/29/05 11:43 AM

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I'll be going to Spain afterall. The bad news (well, in a way, it's good news for me) is that I'll MOST likely be in Granada on this particular weekend. I'm excited to be visiting Granada for the first time but very disappointed I'll be missing this gathering. Can you believe it? rolleyes I can't. There's still a chance we'll have to stay in Madrid that weekend depending on some other factors but those will remain to be seen at the last moment.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/29/05 01:03 PM

Quote:
I'm excited to be visiting Granada for the first time
I visited Granada before MM, that is hard to believe. eek

Are you visiting that slightly interesting place on the hill? What's it names again? I know it start with an A and slightly sounds like the word ham. I remember now. You plan to visit Alhambra? If so make it an day and night time visit.

Bill

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/29/05 02:14 PM

If this is an MM get-together then MM should be there is person - should he not? confused
I would recommend that if MM cannot be there on the 15th October, then we change the evening so that he CAN attend.
Joe - since you stared this thread, what are your thoughts? If he is going to be in Madtid then it is a good opportunity for him to meet some of the supporters and contibuters to this board. I would be in favour of changing the date to accommodate him if he decides to go to Granada.
Regards
Robbieroy

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/29/05 03:25 PM

robbieroy wrote:
Quote:
If this is an MM get-together then MM should be there is person - should he not? [ confused ]
Well, those which I scheduled I typically call "Party with MadridMan in Madrid" but yours, should I not be able to attend, would be called "MadridMan Members Get-Together" (or something like that) which, I believe, i what they've been called in the past when they've taken place in Madrid, New York, Boston, and elsewhere.
Quote:

I would recommend that if MM cannot be there on the 15th October, then we change the evening so that he CAN attend.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. There's no telling when/if I'll be able to get away this trip. Plus, October 15th is really the only weekend day I'll be there and not sure it's too wise to schedule it during a weekday if you want others living in Madrid to attend. I'd say schedule it as you all like and if I'm in Madrid (and able) I'll certainly attend. Again, I'm not even sure I'll be able to go to Granada - all depends on how everything is with the people with whom I'm staying in Madrid.

Party on, Wayne! laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 08/31/05 01:36 PM

MadridMan is at all the gatherings in spirit. He's like the holy ghost...he, he,
If not we'll party in his honor and we will party wink
I have a jedi feeling he'll show.

Any suggestions for tapas????
Posted by: Silvita

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/04/05 12:17 AM

Oh my gosh, dare I say, I will be in Madrid for this gathering!

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/04/05 04:16 AM

Hi Joe
Regarding the tapas, it might be an idea to do our own "Tapas Tour". We could take some of the suggestions (on this board) for good places to go for tapas and construct our very own MM Tapas Tour.
The down side of this would be that we would be "on the move", BUT IT WOULD BE INTERESTING.
Robbieroy

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/04/05 12:11 PM

Great Silvita!
The more members that attend the better. Looking forward to meeting you.

Robbie, great idea! We could plan a template tapas night for future parties for those wanting that sort of advice. Lets see how many members respond so we can get an idea how to plan. One time we had close to twenty five members attend one party. It was a mess. We lost 1/2 of them at a busy night @ Plaza Santa Ana. Plus some that attempted to show couldn't find the party because they were late and didn'tknow some of the other members.
That was a funny night because everyone eventually split into little groups and it seemed you would bump into a MadridMan member at various points of the night.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/04/05 01:59 PM

Then if we were to plan a route of the tapas bars to be visited, anyone arriving late or who gets separated etc. will know where to go to find the rest of the party.
Sounds simple!!!!!!!!
In a couple of weeks I will try to put together a list of preferred tapas bars from the forum.
That should be a good start. Maybe those with a good knowlege of Madrid can offer some advice about the routing.
Robbbieroy

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/06/05 01:02 PM

Sounds too Simple.

I mean what if we're having a blast at a Tapas joint and we don't want to leave? From my past experience these nights have a mind of their own.

Lets pick a simple starting point / place and go from there
Posted by: Lauri

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/07/05 03:33 AM

I'll be moving to Madrid in a week so I'll be around. Can't really say for sure what's happening in a month but I'm definitely interested in attending if able.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/07/05 11:01 AM

cool

your more then welcome
Hope to see you there.

Richie

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/10/05 08:23 AM

JoeSambuca -
You are probably right - I just got carried away (maybe I should be!). I like the suggestions given by Mongo in the following thread.

http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001177

At least if we are in one area, folks are less likely to get lost.
Posted by: replay

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/13/05 02:46 PM

Opps, I forgot to confirm my presence, but it would be impossible to me to miss only one MM gathering, since how many years I am going with no one missed?, years are going so fast...

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/23/05 01:56 PM

Tick Tock! Only 3 more weeks before the big gathering in Madrid! Again, unfortunately, it seems I won't be able to attend frown as I'll probably be in Granada that weekend. Still, you all have a GREAT time.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/24/05 02:58 AM

MM - Pity frown - maybe another time.

JoeSambuca and replay - I read with interest about your recent meet up in NYC and at least, thanks to the pictures posted by Bill, I will know who to look out for on the 15th Oct in Madrid.
I arrive on the 12th and am looking forward to the 15th.
Regards
Rob

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/26/05 11:47 AM

oh shucks MM,

Well Granada is a good reason to be absent.

Well I have a suggestion! Lets get this rolling!

PLACE: Muniz (to start)
Location: corner of CAlle Huertas & Leon (don't know exact address)
Time: 8:30PM

The reason I'm suggesting this place is because they have good tapas, it won't be a confusing place to meet because it's small and well lit.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/26/05 12:18 PM

Ok - count me in.
Robbieroy
Posted by: pim_on_tour

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/29/05 03:50 AM

Hey Richie, coincidently, on that weekend, I'll be in Madrid. So, I'm going to try to convince my significant other and fellow MManer to escape for a little while the wedding preparation frenzy/nonsense and go to Muniz (or is it Muņiz?) so I can say hi to ya!
(Can't promise anything, though... frown )

Besos,

pim

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 09/29/05 03:57 PM

OH Pim I hope you can make it! You're one my favorite people in the great country of Espana.

Yeah hook me up with one of these MAdchicas laugh
I mean I tend to stay away from Mad chicas in general but this could be fun.
Posted by: Granadina80

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/02/05 02:34 PM

MM--
You should let me know exactly when youīll be in Granada, seeing as how Iīm living there right now! I know where all the good tapas bars are located... smile

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/02/05 02:39 PM

Have a GREAT time at the party in Madrid, people! Only about 2 weeks to go. Tick Tock! I really wish I could attend.

Sorry, Granadina80. Probably the next time. This visit is going/supposed-to-be a romantic weekend away in Granada - an opportunity my ladyfriend and I rarely have these years.

I plan to be spending some time (several weeks, probably) in Granada in 2006 so I'm sure we'll be able to get together then. But thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/02/05 10:08 PM

Okay!!
It's drawing near..... :p
(11 Days till we leave)
Initial head count....who's in For the Oct 15 Bash??
My group is two for sure:
Joe Sambuca aka Richy & John
Posted by: ChrisR

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/03/05 05:33 AM

Can you remind us of the planned meeting time and place again?
Posted by: Murdy

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/03/05 08:17 AM

I think I could make it...but I'm like ChrisR. I'm a little lost in this thread. Where's it going to be in the end?

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/03/05 10:42 AM

PLACE: Muniz (to start)
Location: corner of CAlle Huertas & Leon (don't know exact address)
Time: 8:30PM

Here is the place we planned on, but if anyone has any better suggestions please advise.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/03/05 04:34 PM

Reminder: Count me in.
Cheers
Robbieroy
Posted by: Silvita

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/05/05 12:14 PM

Is Muniz a bar? Iīm in, but Iīm terrible with directions so if you could add what the place looks like, that would be great!!

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/05/05 06:54 PM

Silvita,

Muniz is more of a place to eat then bar similar to Cafe Brillante except way smaller. If you travel south on Calle Huertes from Plaza Santa Ana towards the Prado it's right on the south east corner of Calle Leon.
Hope this helps, I'll try to get an exact address...it'll probably be very helpful to everyone smile
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/06/05 03:11 PM

I'm sorry I cannot go, I'll go to the football match at 22:00.
By the way, I'm still alive, it's just that I don't have so much time to post since a long time.
Regards to everybody wink

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/07/05 02:42 PM

Have a great time at the MM Gathering, people! Wish I could be there. But alas, I'm off to Madrid N*O*W!!!!! Woo Hooooo!!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: mgarcia

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/09/05 08:23 PM

Count us in. My fiance and I will be arriving that morning.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/10/05 05:39 PM

count yourself in Mgarcia.
We should have a pretty good crew for this gathering. Remember Muniz is the starting point, we should be there for a good 1-2 hours and who knows after that
Posted by: mgarcia

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/11/05 06:24 PM

I will be the only Dark Mexican with a Light German Fiance. Who should I look for and what do you guys look like.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/12/05 10:35 AM

you won't miss us,
Antonio is the owner operator ask him for the crazy American

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/13/05 11:24 AM

See you all on the 15th. I am in MAdrid now and I am going to explore to find out where the place is.
Robbieroy
Posted by: Castiza

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/13/05 02:16 PM

Hi!

I won't be working that day so we'll try to drop by and have a drink with you all.

See you there!

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/14/05 06:17 AM

Tick Tock! It wonīt be long now! Hope you all have a great time at the gathering. Really, I wish I could be there but Iīm sure Iīll enjoy your weekend in Granada. wink

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: janel

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/14/05 02:13 PM

I want to go to the meeting but not sure yet I can meke it. Might be able to meet around 10ish...Anyone want to send me your movil number (private msg) so I can find you?? Muchas gracias!

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/15/05 10:09 PM

Hi there!!

What an amazing MM party without MadridMan! laugh

It was a shame not to have MadridMan with us, but at least 12 people join the party along it. If I remember correctly we enjoyed the presence of our great organizer Joesambuca and his (and my) friend John, I was on time, but not Richie (Joesambuca) who came 10 minutes after the stablished hour. I am so bad with the names, but inside the bar a scottish guy was probably on time like me waiting for the hoster.

Pim (Paloma) appeared suddenly and quickly with her new boyfriend from Finland, they are going to get married soon (congratulations), sadly they had to leave early.

Antonio came at 9:30 pm just like Natalia and her french boyfriend (sorry again for my bad names memory). And just finishing inside the Muņiz bar a couple came, she was from Russia and her husband (?) were from USA, so curious to know some couples are being formed thanks to this BBS,

After Muņiz we were moving to another bar owned by some relatives of Antonio (good comission for him wink

We had too much sangria and some tapas like pulpo, tortilla and champiņones (mushrooms). After that we wisited (and for we I mean Richie and John, Natalia and the french guy, the scottish guy, Antonio and me) "La Fontana de Oro" with live Irish music, so nice!!

We have two beers inside there and finally we went to a "Salsa" pub with great dancers over the floor, finishing with the mandatory mojitos.

MadridMan, this has been a great party, and be sure we count with your spirit between us, we enjoyed a lot and we hope you have enjoyed Granada as much as we did with your party.

See you!!
Posted by: YZYZ

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/16/05 04:23 AM

Sorry we didn't stay longer, it sounds like a great time was had until very late! No, my girlfriend and I aren't married yet but are close. It was great to meet some of the people on the board, now I can put faces to the names. Hope to see you again at the next event.

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/16/05 05:00 AM

Hi - I am the Scottish guy!

The Oct 15th Gathering.
Well, it took place on the appointed date at the appointed time!!

Lets set the scene by listing the characters, in no particular order:
Richie (JoeSambuca) in the lead role of producer and director. His assistant and partner in crime, John Rafael (Replay) representing the American/Spanish travel business Antonio from the Hostal Chelo and accommodation expert Paloma (Pim) made a cameo appearance along with Keeper at the Gate Natalia (Catiza) and Bertram (non forum member) were in charge of translations and Spanish slang Yance and Eugenia (YZYZ) also waltzed or did the swing in (there is a joke here!) and taking up the rear (but not when it came to drinking, myself Rob (Robbieroy).

We all arrived between 8.30 and 9.00 and introduced ourselves and got to know each other over a few beers and great tapas of Pulpo a la Gallega, patatas bravas, outstanding morcilla (even John liked it) and chopitos and bread. It was great fun mixing with everyone and getting to know each other and waht we do etc. One of the best things of all was being able to put names to faces.

After a few drinks, Antonio suggested that we move on to bar Nueva Galica at the corner of Calle de la Cruz and Pozo, just off Caretera de San Jeronimo. We took our time to walk then although it was in reality only a 10 minutes walk.

The bar was VERY busy, as were all the local bars, because of the football matches that were on and then of course the Spanish going out to eat.

By this time, we were reduced to seven and we were lucky to get a table outside. The food here was great - it was Galician style tapas and raciones. We had unbelievable pulpo Galician style (just the best), Mushrooms and ham, croquettes, tortilla and unbelievable ham (not Jamon serrano, but off the bone). All this was washed down with 3 large jarras de sangria.

Later, we just had to order more sangria! Things were beginning to liven up a bit as people got over their initial shyness. Following some complimentary shots (of al alcohol based product that Rafa described as being made fron "Lawn", Richie suggested the we go to la Fontanera de Oro, a music bar nearby in Calle Victoria. He and John had been there the previos night and had heard a band playing Jimi Hendrix staff.
(Richie - I forgot to ask - did they play Hey Joe...?)

This music bar had a lot of people - it was very busy, but we manage to get to the bar and order some drinks. We stood around chatting and the drink was begining to take effect as we strated to jump up and down in time to the music. The band were playing great Irish/Certic music - they were very good.

By this time it was 1.40 in the morning, and since I had had a very long day and needed to be up early next morning I tool my leave and said goodbye to everyone.

But I WANT TO HERE THE REST OF THE STORY. Antonio, Rafael or Natalia....
WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?????????????????????

It was great to meet with everyone and I look forward to the next one.
Robbieroy

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/16/05 07:13 AM

Again sorry for my bad names memory, I hope someday I could fix this with some special therapy...

Have a great time in Madrid!

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/19/05 05:24 PM

hola,
im in granada right now, and i will post all the details of this great trip when i return but if anyone is interested a few people will be meeting @ plaza mayor 9pm on thursday @ the statue. not a great gathering but one at least

ciao

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/21/05 12:08 PM

Here are some photos from the 15th OCt MM gathering:

Bar Nuņiz where we met up

Outside Bar Nueva Galicia:

La Fontana de Oro where we went for the live music:

Regards
Robbieroy

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/21/05 08:45 PM

Great to see those photos! Thanks for posting them. smile

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/22/05 04:54 PM

Fun look photos, so I know how good of a time everyone had. I wish I could have been there!

Bill

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/23/05 07:18 PM

Hi all!
It's a day since my return. This was one of my best trips. The party was small but we made a bash of it. It was great to see my old friends like Rafael, Antonio, and Natalia and her man "Frenchy" LOL! Pim and the Keeper at the gate. It was also nice to meet Robbieroy ( a true caballero)
Nothing really happened afterwards...oh yeah besides mojitos and wild sala dancing. Well... eek not me I'm not a dancer....hint Rafael laugh
And screw you guys so what if I can't roll my R'S
smile (joking of course.
Wish I could have seen everyone more but between the bullfights, Botin, and Granada, it all seemed to go so Quick frown
I did see Miguelito on Thursday...he's doing well!
Anyway...I hope to see everyone soon

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/24/05 05:48 PM

Hi Joesambuca,

So nice to see you enjoyed a lot, me too, it was a really funny MM party. But itīs curious, I still dream with New York, some part of my heart is there, some day I will repeat NYC, I hope to see you again somewhere beyond the sea... (for you or for me).

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/27/05 07:49 AM

Hey Rrrrichie!
Glad you got back safely. I really enjoyed meeting up with everyone in Madrid. Say "hola" to big John next time you speak with him.
Practice saying Rrrrreplay and Rrrrafael and Rrrrobierrrroy!
Rob

Re: Madrid: OCT.15 GATHERING!! - 10/27/05 04:06 PM

Very FFFFunny Robbie!
:p

better watch out halloween is coming!