knowledgeable city guide in madrid

Posted by: dr4kidds

knowledgeable city guide in madrid - 10/23/03 05:54 PM

We are looking for a guide to educate us about madrid on our upcoming visit in November. We love to walk and are looking for someone with references who is knowledgeable and fun. History and stories about the city and an inside on great places in Madrid.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: knowledgeable city guide in madrid - 10/23/03 06:07 PM

It sounds to me like you're asking for something like what British expatriate Stephen Drake-Jones of The Wellington Society offers. He/They give historical tours of Old Madrid (or other areas - including Toledo) and he is QUITE the man. He's so witty and charming too. Your kids will love him.

There are many threads posted about his tours in the "Food, Drink, & Entertainment" forum including the " Madrid: The Wellington Society...Stephen Drake Jones " thread. I've taken a number of his tours and they're always educational AND entertaining. The 2 or 3 stops at tapas bars are great too - your kids will love these places too. Stephen Drake-Jones is far and away the most knowledgeable tour guide (or teacher) of Madrid that you'll find.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Mongo

Re: knowledgeable city guide in madrid - 10/24/03 01:47 AM

This is quite unbelieveable! I went to his website after reading Madridman's post. I recognized something about what he said and when I saw the photo it all came back.

I stood next to a guide and 6 or so people he was guiding on the Metro from Puerto del Sol to Las Ventas to see the bullfight on Sept 28th. He was quite erudite and was explaining the succsession after Franco. It was that guy!!!!

I was quite impressed with his teaching, as his details corresponded with my very rudimentary knowledge of this period.