LA Dinner gathering?

Posted by: Nicole

LA Dinner gathering? - 10/04/02 03:58 PM

Anyone up for it?
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/05/02 01:02 AM

I am!!!...and I owe you a set of panniers, some pictures and lotsa stories. When did you have in mind, and more importantly, where?
Posted by: Shawn

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/05/02 08:38 AM

Hello, I´ll be back in LA frown the 12 of October, and would love to attend. I promise not to bring up ETA, I wouldn´t want a bad case of idigestion laugh . I will be available to tell about the beautifull Basque countryside, and one of my favourite cities, Vitoria. laugh Of course, I´ll have plenty to tell about the capital of Castilla y León, Valladolid.

Calibasco, we can still break bread despite our differing views on the Basque region?

Nicole, I hope you tell all about your exciting trip to Thailand, I hope you were able to find a good Paella there. It would be a shame to travel so far and not be fully satisfied with the cusine.
Posted by: toddy

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/05/02 04:15 PM

I read once that Vitoria was the "best" place to live in Spain in a Spanish poll.

I'm ready to not just break bread, but pop some corks too smile

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/06/02 07:21 PM

Yumm. Toddy, I am with you. I just got back froma week end in San Francisco. Ate at Alegria and had a lovely bottle of Rioja.

Okay, I was thinking late October, early Novvember. Where does everybody live? I know where YOU live Cali wink (imagine ominous laughter).... Shawn, will you be returning to the Valley?
Maybe we can find a middle-point in this huge Metropolis.

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/09/02 05:50 PM

Shawn, you can always break bread with me...just as long as you don't break my face! laugh

I'm up for whatever, whenever...just gimme ample time to plan ahead...!

And Nicole, don't forget that not only do I know where you live, I have your DL# and bank account number! HA HA!!! [Just kidding...I never wrote that stuff down...that would be cheesy.] I want to hear about Shawn's trip more than I want to tell you about mine, but I imagine with two big talkers we'd better plan for a late night! laugh
Posted by: marknla

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/09/02 06:09 PM

OK -- all this going on about eating and drinking and talk of Spain in LA -- I would love to join in an evening of food, fun, and frivolity -- I will be back from Spain on the 26th of October so if possible WAIT for me !!!!

What does everyone want me to bring back -- I will be in Madrid and Sevilla -- only 5 days -- not long enough I know -- but I can't wait.

Nicole -- I also need to talk to you because I am planning my trip to Thailand in January -- would love some tips on that --

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/10/02 02:36 PM

chorizo!!!! bring back chorizo!! - if you can. i understand there are laws against it, and I certainly wouldn't want you to get into trouble.. eek And I would be thrilled to give you info on Thailand. It was amazing.

So, shall we say early November for the cena?

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/11/02 03:46 PM

I would love to bring back enough Chorizo for everyone -- but you know how those customs people are especially in California -- so I will have to bring back some great stories of chorizo instead -- The beginning of November would be great for me -- and Nicole I can't wait to hear about Thailand. Thanks
Posted by: laduque

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/11/02 09:22 PM

I think I can make a special trip to L.A. for this, to finally meet Nicole would be worth it alone. To catch up with Cali and Shawn in person would be wonderful.
So please keep in mind that I won't drive to the Valley, but will trek up there if the restaurant is under 2 hours from me. smile

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/12/02 07:46 PM

Has anyone been to Cobras y Matadores??? on Beverly -- haven't yet heard if it is good and certainly don't know how authentic but it is a tapas bar/restaurant that got a lot of write ups when it first opened -- could be a possibility for us -- let me know what everyone thinks...oh and I am with Laduque on not driving to the valley wink

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/14/02 04:35 PM

I haven't even heard of Cobras y Matadores...hmm. There is also CAVA on 3rd street (West Hollywood, I think), and of course, La Luna, in Pasadena.

LAduque!! It would be great to finally meet you too. I wish we could find some place closer for you though. Didn't you guys meet in Long Beach once?

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/15/02 09:44 PM

Don't worry about my drive, if the date is right, I will be able to make it. W. Hollywood is better than Pasadena for me.
let's keep the ideas coming. I will ask a Spanish friend of mine that lives in LA about that new place on Beverly, see if he's heard of it. smile
Posted by: CathyM

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/15/02 10:12 PM

First time I've logged on since my trip and am very excited about this opportunity to meet the LA group from this board. laugh

As for location, I'd also prefer not to drive over the mountain to the Valley(I live in the South Bay beach area) but will do whatever is necessary. wink The beginning of November is wide open for me also.

Can't wait to hear stories from many of you who love traveling to Spain and can also understand my fascination with the country (my friends and co-workers are ready to have me admitted) eek .

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/16/02 04:16 PM

Okay. What about November 1st or 2nd? Are Fridays or Saturdays easier for people?
Posted by: aidance

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/17/02 12:35 AM

Maybe Saturdays are better because Friday evening is a traffic nightmare usually. I'm thinking of coming up from San Diego. .... Laduque?
aidance

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/17/02 04:22 PM

I will do my best to accomodate either date. Let me know ASAP if folks want to do the Saturday as I have potential translation work available to me, but I can specify the day or night shift...

And yes, we went to Allegria in Long Beach. Nice area, crappy food...I prefer La Luna in Pasadena. I heard that Costa Brava in San Diego is nice laugh .

Let me know where you all want to go and I'll be there...I have no "reservations" about driving anywhere in the area.

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/17/02 06:04 PM

Saturday works better for me. The LA Friday night traffic can be a bear especially with us all coming in from different directions. I'm also not able to get out of work at a decent hour sometimes. mad

I'm open on the location...just looking forward to meeting everyone. laugh

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/17/02 08:34 PM

Saturday works best for me.
aidance, a carpool could be in the works. wink
Nov. 2 (Sat.) is great.

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/18/02 03:00 PM

Let's do it!!! Saturday, November 2nd at one of the places in West Hollywood. Someone else decide where wink
Posted by: jllawson

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/23/02 05:52 PM

Quick!!!! I am in L.A. THIS weekend... any activities that I can join??? will be in Andalucia throughout the christmas/new years period anyone interested in dinner/traveling around???

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/23/02 08:34 PM

So where and when on Saturday Nov. 2nd? Is the food good at any of the West Hollywood places? Or should we get take out from Costa Brava in San Diego? wink
Posted by: mencey

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/24/02 01:31 AM

COUNT ME IN TOO!!!

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/25/02 10:52 PM

Ok, it is time to get down to business and decide on a place to meet next Saturday!!!!
Anyone heard of Cava on W. 3rd or something like that? I also read an article about La Luna Negra in Sunset this month, sounds like a great place. How far is the drive from S.D. to Pasadena?

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/29/02 01:21 PM

I am thinking Pasadena might be more of a straight shot, but I am not sure. It is only a few block off the 110 and 210 freeways. then again, I have only been to San Diego once and it was ages ago, so I can't remember the quickest way to get here from there. Aidance, Shawn, Calibasco, any thoughts?

Ok, just looked at the map, CAVA and La Paella are both in Beverly Hills, not WeHo, so that might make it a little less convenient. I did eat at La Paella once though, and the food seemed pretty authentic, if that's what we're going for...

Also. there is a place in Silverlake near my house that has live Flamenco shows, Friday and Saturday nights. I went there a couple of months ago and it was pretty cool. the only thing is that it is kind of expensive. You pay $30 (I think??) and get the show and a menu. I went with a bunch of friends, and most of them didn't think the food was that great, although I had steak and it was quite tasty.

I'll be happy to make the reservation, once you guys decide in what area you want to meet. I drive all the time for work, so I really don't have any preference about what part of the city we are in. Whatever is easiest for the rest of you.

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/29/02 08:32 PM

I've heard of La Paella and CAVA and I wouldn't mind driving to B.H.
Anybody up for La Paella?
If someone can tell me how long the drive is from SAn Diego to Pasadena and what route to take, I would consider it. smile

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/29/02 10:26 PM

I nominate Nicole as the LA gathering team captain. As captain, you are responsible for choosing destination and making reservations. All those in favor say I

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/29/02 11:39 PM

I mean, "Aye" je je

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/30/02 06:05 PM

I'll be happy to do it, but I need to know how many people will be there. Where we end up may depend on the number of people and how many the restaurant can fit. Paella and Luna are smallish. Don't know about CAVA. Could you guys either confirm by posting or email me at nhaning@yahoo.com? Then I'll start makin' those calls. I can' wait to meet you guys (and see Shawn and Cali again - you guys BETTER bring your pictures!!!!!!!!!!!).

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/30/02 07:55 PM

laduque, it is a 2 + hour drive to Pasadena or West Hollywood from north San Diego--more with heavy traffic, but it's not bad usually Saturday. Nicole, can we make it an earlyish dinner, maybe by 6pm so those of us with a longer drive can get home not so late? Laduque, if we drive up together, thing of how many Spanish cd's we could listen to along the way.... Nicole, count me in, post the address and telephone number please?

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/30/02 08:53 PM

Ok, Count me in too Nicole! Thanks.

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/30/02 09:21 PM

Anyone coming from the South Bay?

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/30/02 11:52 PM

Count me in! Aidance, I am going to be staying in Oceanside with my mom so the drive for me will be about 45 minutes shorter. I'm good to carpool.
CAn't wait for Saturday!

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/31/02 11:59 AM

Okay, it looks like there Pasadena and BH are pretty much of equal distance from San Diego, so I'll just try to make (early) reservations at both Paella and Luna, and see which place can fit us in. So far there are 5 of us. Right? Laduque, CathyM, Aidance, Mencey and me. Haven't heard from Roses, Shawn or Cali...

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 10/31/02 06:52 PM

Okay, La Paella only has one large table and they could only fit us in from 5:30-6:30. I suspect we'll need a bit more time than that.. So, I made a reservation at La Luna for 6:30 for 5-7 people.

If anyone needs directions, let me know. I hope to see you guys there. Otherwise my sad, sorry self will be sitting alone in Pasadena Saturday night looking forlorn frown

:p

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/01/02 01:37 PM

I will hope to be there, but have been scheduled to work that evening...I'm doing my best to change things. If Shawn comes you'll have plenty of pictures to look at without me...if we were both there, you all might not leave for at least five minutes (before the boredom of our slide shows sets in!) laugh laugh

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/01/02 02:22 PM

WHAT?!!! You must not work Saturday night Sen~or Basco! You are one of the founding members of our little club (and the source of all Morrisey references for any evening out). We simply can't do withought you.

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/01/02 05:15 PM

okay,

The reservation is under the name Nicole Haning, for 6:30 pm.

La Luna Negra
244 W. Green St
Pasadena CA 91105

Web address http://www.lalunanegra.qpg.com/

It is a few blocks south of the 210 freeway, you can exit at Fair Oaks, go south, take a right on Colorado, left on Delacey and left on Green. They have valet parking, should you so desire.

You can also take the 110 north, follow it until it ends/turns into arroyo parkway, left on Del Mar, right on Delacey, right on Green

I'll be wearing glasses, a denim jacket and a greenish scarf. Call the restaurant if you get lost. I'll be happy to give you my cell number in case you get lost, just email me privately
smile

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/02/02 06:05 PM

according to the webpage for la luna negra, the address is 44 not 244 West green st.

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/02/02 08:08 PM

woops. typo. right you are. I didn't even realize I did that

It is 44 Green St

Hope to see y'all there!

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/03/02 01:56 AM

Just got back from La Luna Negra restaurant in Pasadena. we had a great time eating, socializing and watching the flamenco dancers. CathyM, Nicole and I were the three MM representatives. The food was great, I had Patatas con alioli, and brochetta de pollo, and for desert, Crepe al espanola. It was DELICIOUS. We need to do it again soon. Oh, and we had a celebrity sighting there as well. While Nicole and I were waitng for CathyM,guess who was sitting next to us? Give up? Emilio Estevez(Young Guns, Mighty Ducks, Men at Work, Stakeout etc.) Thanks Nicole and Cathy, I had a great time!

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/03/02 10:21 PM

I'm so sorry I wasn't able to make it last night...Emilio is dreamy! yeecchhh! rolleyes Nicole would've been enough of a celeb sighting for me...

I did have to work (side job) until 2AM so was unable to attend. I'll have to bore you all with tales of the Camino at a future date!

Glad you had the three of you to make it a fun evening. We should probably work up some sort of deal with La Luna Negra to "sponsor" our gatherings...

Let's do it again after the holidays...what say ye?

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/04/02 04:38 PM

Hey guys. We missed you Cali, but it was really nice to meet Mencey and CathyM. Mencey (wisely) suggested that next time we meet in Orange County, so it is closer for the SD folks. Any volunteers for the Dinner Coordinator position? :p

thanks again guys. it was great to finally put a name to a face.. and I even got dibs on a location for my future wedding/honeymoon Mencey. wink We should be ready about the same time (I'm on the finve year plan).
laugh

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/05/02 03:41 PM

Just wanted to say it was wonderful meeting Nicole and mencey Saturday evening. The company was great and the food was fabulous (kinda california-spanish wink ).

Count me in for another get together sooner better than later. laugh

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/05/02 04:19 PM

I'll do it! I'm sure I can dig up some place in OC that has good grub español-style. Is mid-January a time that works for most??? I'm thinking the second Saturday (after New Year's...).

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/06/02 08:39 PM

Way to step up to the plate Cali! January works great for me, as long as its after the 7th, that's when I get back from the canary Islands! There is a great place in Newport Beach called, "Tapas", very good spanish food and the last couple of times I've been there, there have been flamenco dancers. Prices are similar to those found at La luna negra.Hope to see you all there in Jan!

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/06/02 10:59 PM

I'm in for Newport Beach. So sorry I had to miss the last one. The second weekend in January is fine with me.
Posted by: Shawn

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 11/20/02 12:09 AM

I'm sorry I was unable to attend the last dinner date. I had a few matters come up and I forgot about the rendezvous. I hope I haven't been removed from the invite list for the next occasion. frown

Re: LA Dinner gathering? - 03/21/03 04:03 PM

marknla:

A belated answer about Cobras and Matadors on Beverly (right across from CBS studios). I went there last Friday and it was excellent! laugh It is very small and if you want a seat inside you really do need to reserve in advance. We sat outside on the heated patio and it was still nice but didn't have the ambiance. Good tapas, great people watching (celebrity sightings even), and a little wine shop next door specializing in spanish wines. (C&M's doesn't have a liquor license but they just charge a $5 corkage fee if you bring your own).

Here's an article I found on the bar:

Restaurant review: Cobras and Matadors